PDA

View Full Version : New MMPR TV Pilot?

nightmere11
12/11/14, 07:37 PM
With Katee Sackhoff as the Pink Ranger and James Van Der Beek playing a role.

Found this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/powerranger...ut_top_secret/

All originating from HorrorDomain.com:

Quote:
HorrorDomain Exclusive News! We bring you the very first announcement of the new MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS television show which is currently in the works! In what has been a very HUSH HUSH project up until this point, our source reports that the pilot episode has indeed already been filmed. As a matter of fact we have the actual SCREEN USED, battle damaged suits (see below) from that pilot episode which are currently up for Auction!

We also have learned that this new SABAN/DISNEY series is set to be a half hour show and will star Katee Sackoff (Starbuck from BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA, RIDDICK) who will presumably play the Pink Ranger as well as James Van Der Beek (Dawson from DAWSON'S CREEK).

This particular version of the POWER RANGERS looks to bring more action/adventure and will display a much more adult oriented approach as the story will take place twenty years later. No longer teenagers, the Rangers have been shut down by the government, and are now on the run.

We have the actual SCREEN USED, Battle Damaged Power Ranger suits from this upcoming Television show in our current Auction. CLICK HERE TO VIEW.

Soulspice
12/11/14, 07:42 PM
Well, the actress posted in august 4 clues to a secret project...

https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/st...656768/photo/1
https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/st...837440/photo/1
https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/st...909249/photo/1
https://twitter.com/kateesackhoff/st...313344/photo/1

johnboy34
12/11/14, 07:43 PM
Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT.

That picture that Sackhoff posted: it's the suit from the auction. Look above the right thigh of the full body shot from the auction and compare it to her extreme closeup: Same burn, same separation of colors.

Sweet mother of fuck, this could actually be real. Every ounce of common sense I have is telling me that it isn't, but...

Toast
12/11/14, 07:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet this was a moderately budgeted, but technically 'fan made' one-shot or web series by an entertainment company with internet presence such as Funny Or Die, College Humour or evem someone like Batinthesun.

Dr. Who 07
12/11/14, 08:12 PM
katee is doing the new season of longmire
van der beek is a regular in the new CSI

this might might MIGHT be some funny or die short or something
but i seriously doubt they are gonna work full time on two shows

disney+saban um where's nick?

an adult action adventure show that's only 30 minutes?

why does pinks suit look so much different from red?

& what the heck does a website all about horror have to do with any of this?

CheckeredRanger
12/11/14, 08:17 PM
I have no doubt it`s fake.This is something that nobody would take seriously and could potentially kill the franchise entirely.

Although if it were true,I would be up for James VanDerBeek having a role in it if for no other reason than the chance we could see him do this..

johnboy34
12/11/14, 08:20 PM
Whatever this is, it was shot four months ago. That's when Sackhoff tweeted the closeup of the suit and of her getting the plaster mold made of her head. How far in advance does Funny or Die shoot their skits?

rmssw
12/11/14, 08:23 PM
Lets assume for a moment that the press release is 100% accurate. It still leaves so many questions with answers that don't make sense.

Why the hell would Disney be involved? They had no interest in the show when THEY owned it. Even if it was just for distribution like the deal with Nick, none of their channels would have any place for an adult Power Rangers. And speaking of Nick, I can't imagine their deal with Saban doesn't include some kind of exclusivity clause giving Nickelodeon the right to be the ONLY network that airs PR property.

Why would Saban make a show geared toward older fans when that's essentially the point of the movie currently starting production? They're competing with themselves. Never mind the fact that any negative reaction this project receives would only mar the public perception of the movie.

Even ignoring the Disney aspect, it's hard to imagine any network wanting to touch this. It's way too risky.

It's easy to pass this off as fake. Those pictures from Sackhoff are hard to ignore though. It would be way too coincidental. Hopefully if this is SOMETHING, more info will come soon.

It would be interesting if they intend this to be some kind of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.-style companion series to the movie universe. I really can't see Saban Brands being that ambitious though. Nor, again, can I see any network wanting to touch this thing.

JNTA123450
12/11/14, 08:26 PM
There's apart of me kind of wishes this was true but even if it was, we need to cool with the Mighty Morphin. I believe that this is bull crap like everyone else. I mean they would to see the movie do well if they did something like this.

AkaRanger
12/11/14, 08:27 PM
I know back in an IGN interview that Orci said that the film would have a continuity "within the world", so I'm unsure of whether it could tie in without using some sort of split universe theory to keep the Mighty Morphin powers. But then again, anything could happen. As has been said before in this thread though, the stuff with Sackoff seems to match up. Whether it has been picked up or not is something else though.
AkaRanger is online now Report Post

Cyrax9
12/11/14, 08:31 PM
I would have dismissed this as a fake before I took a closer look at those pictures from Sackhoff. That's definitely the pink ranger suit in that one of them, so it pretty much confirms her involvement in whatever this was. If the person who supposedly has inside information that told us the South Africa casting call was for a "top secret" project that "fans are going to love" is correct, this could very well be that project.

The only thing I would like to remind everyone of is that assuming everything is true, it only means that a pilot was produced. There's obviously a chance it might not be picked up, or that it'll take multiple pilots to get this project off the ground. Even if the show does get picked up, Sackhoff's involvement in the pilot also doesn't mean that she'll sign on for the full show itself if prior commitments prevent her from doing so. People could be recast, suit designs could change, even if only slightly. The one change I'm almost positive we'll see is the episode run–time; if this is meant to be a show aimed at adult fans, I could see the run–time changing from 22–minutes to 45–minutes to fit with other, similar shows. However, I could definitely see this being picked up if it's indeed real.

SnoopsWarner
12/11/14, 08:32 PM
I really want to jump in and point out how ridiculously fake this is.

But fuck, this is Saban Brands era PR. Pretty much all bets are off now. Anything could happen.

nightmere11
12/11/14, 08:35 PM
I thought longmire was cancelled?

EDIT - Never mind, it was picked up by Netflix

This is just the pilot being done. We'd know if it was green lit and becoming a real thing.

Nebula Ranger
12/11/14, 08:38 PM
I knew this was fake the moment I saw "Saban/Disney"...

The rest of it is a dead giveaway.

Why would Saban ever consider doing a new Power Rangers show (that too with totally expensive original footage and props) AND make it more "adult oriented" (since we've already established no one wants to see that and Saban Brands has little interest in the older fans' interest anyways) AND have this new alternate continuity Power Rangers show released around the same time as an alternate continuity movie reboot?

Most people today are surprised Power Rangers is still a thing. Who is the target audience for this? Certainly not kids. Grown ups? As if this could compete with rival shows. Would they really make as much money on return compared to the production costs? Would they even bother making a Power rangers answer to Akibaranger when there's little to no interest in such a thing?

BananaRama
12/11/14, 08:38 PM
On the contrary Saban Brands DOES care about older fans. That's why we have the entire shows library on Netflix and not just the current seasons, that's why a legacy set was released, that's why we got cool things like the "Morph through 20 years video."

It's Tzachor and his writers that don't care about the older fans.

You're right on about everything else.

PRangerX
12/11/14, 08:54 PM
Dont get why they would do a PR movie and tv series around the same time? Wouldnt they use MMPR for the movie? This sounds pretty far fetched. But the fact that Katie Slackoff is invovled makes it seem like its something.

SnoopsWarner
12/12/14, 12:07 PM
It's not the designs that make me suspicious, it's the inclusion of fucking James Van Der Beek. It screams of that kind of unimaginative tabloid casting ideas that were so popular in the nineties, coincidently the last time Van Der Beek was relevant.

PRangerX
12/12/14, 12:15 PM
This reminds me of all the old imbd rumors that used to show up at PRC Message Board in 2001

Zabitan
12/12/14, 01:05 PM
For a moment there I thought this was supposed to be from 1993.

This sounds like a lot like "that one MMPR fan film we can't talk about on Rangerboard"

PRangerX
12/12/14, 04:01 PM
Yeah it does. Strange that Katie Slackoff is involved in this. But it could be a number of things.

cleanuphtr15
12/12/14, 04:30 PM
The idea that they'd be "competing with themselves" is flat out wrong. If ananything, a MMPR TV show that is well done and not super kiddie would help to build excitement for the film. No one is going to sit there and say "we'll shit... There's a show and a movie... I can't watch BOTH!"

The red flag that screams "fake" is the inclusion of Disney. Disney already proved that they want nothing to do with PR. Additionally, partnering with them would seem to go against their current partnership with Nick/Viacom. Finally, if it's being aimed at adults, why is Disney involved? Wouldn't that just be ABC?

PRangerX
12/12/14, 04:35 PM
The idea that they'd be "competing with themselves" is flat out wrong. If ananything, a MMPR TV show that is well done and not super kiddie would help to build excitement for the film. No one is going to sit there and say "we'll shit... There's a show and a movie... I can't watch BOTH!"

The red flag that screams "fake" is the inclusion of Disney. Disney already proved that they want nothing to do with PR. Additionally, partnering with them would seem to go against their current partnership with Nick/Viacom. Finally, if it's being aimed at adults, why is Disney involved? Wouldn't that just be ABC?

But the thing is, Entertainment companies think like that. They are usually very careful not to come out with a tv show that is the same as a movie. Smallville wasnt allowed to use Bruce Wayne because of the Batman Movies.

AkiraLeeJounouchi
12/13/14, 07:54 AM
Best April Fools Joke in December EVER!!! It would've believeable if they didn't say Disney. Cuz well know Disney not gonna get thier skin under PR anymore. And if they actually thought it out whoever these pranksters are, they should've said it was from the Lionsgate movie. That way it might've been believable. SMH this is what happens when Trolls don't know how to troll.

I Bet you anything that those suits are from Face/Off Season 8. XD

sky_queen3
12/13/14, 07:55 AM
Could they be something for the movie, an ad maybe? (Either that or the people are lying to make them seem important to get more money from the sale of the suits.) I checked IMDB for both actors and saw nothing so...

As for the suits themselves, I have mixed feelings about them.

AlwaysARanger
12/13/14, 11:51 AM
It's pretty given its fake. Since we know there wouldn't be another tv series going while we got current one just finish airing and next in production. And we know lionsgate film is still only in pre production stage and is still far from going to production. So it's either just plain fake thing. Or it was another fan thing that wouldn't get anywhere.

UncleBob
12/14/14, 04:42 PM
While I have my own doubts about this - *if* it's real, perhaps Disney is involved due to some weird language in the contract where Saban purchased the rights back from Disney.

stationx
12/14/14, 04:46 PM
Can we stop humoring a con-artist?

johnboy34
12/14/14, 04:47 PM
till not convinced that this guy has the mental wherewithal to think about replicating that swatch of leather from Sackhoff's tweet. It's not consistent with the other cons he's been involved with, which all showed a marked lack of effort (trying to sell the same unaltered jumpsuit three times as a different prop; selling random everyday junk with unsubstantiated claims that it appeared in the background of a film). Focusing in on such a tiny detail, and creating the pattern of damage and burns exactly, isn't the style this guy is notorious for, especially since he'd have to be following Sackhoff's tweets to even know about it and his Twitter account hasn't been active since August 2012.

On top of that, he's actually sold real movie props on occasion, so it's not like this would be unprecedented. Maybe it's a Funny or Die/College Humor sketch, or some other unofficial parody. Whatever it is, I don't think it's simply the work of one degenerate shill.

stationx
12/14/14, 04:49 PM
llector who sells nothing without any sort of proof of authenticity is automatically suspicious to me and why wouldn't he post a picture of the damage from his suit to compare to the picture that she posted? Why is it the job of people who are going to be bidding on it to compare that picture with his full body shot of the suit. He posted that picture as part of the auction like it means something, but fails to post a picture of his own where that damage matches up on the suit in his possession. All we have is "It sorta looks like the same."

Add to the fact that a lot of his stuff he gets, according to the people on that website, is through dumpster diving so even if he did find these suits (and the suits alone I guarantee because the rest is mismatched helmets & accessories you can buy off of eBay) he would have no idea what they're from let alone who was involved.

ASpice92
12/14/14, 04:50 PM
I don't think it works like that.

UncleBob
12/14/14, 04:51 PM
Oh, I agree that it is unlikely - but since these deals are pretty top secret and since Sony Pictures wasn't involved, we'll likely never know the full details.

It's *possible* that, somewhere in the contract, Disney retained some kind of distribution rights to something Power Rangers related. Unlikely, sure... but *possible*...

stationx
12/14/14, 05:54 PM
A collector who sells nothing without any sort of proof of authenticity is automatically suspicious to me and why wouldn't he post a picture of the damage from his suit to compare to the picture that she posted? Why is it the job of people who are going to be bidding on it to compare that picture with his full body shot of the suit. He posted that picture as part of the auction like it means something, but fails to post a picture of his own where that damage matches up on the suit in his possession. All we have is "It sorta looks like the same."

Add to the fact that a lot of his stuff he gets, according to the people on that website, is through dumpster diving so even if he did find these suits (and the suits alone I guarantee because the rest is mismatched helmets & accessories you can buy off of eBay) he would have no idea what they're from let alone who was involved.

johnboy34
12/14/14, 06:00 PM
That picture of Sackhoff's wasn't in his post initially. He only added it in the past couple days. It wasn't until after some of us in this thread had already found it on the Twitter feed. If he used that picture as the basis for this entire con, you'd think he would have led with that.

And it's not "sorta". Save the image and zoom in. Even at a distance, it's a visibly exact match.

I'm not saying it's a pilot to some new MMPR series. In fact, that's the last thing I'd guess it to be. But the idea that he cooked up this entire thing based on a single, incredibly vague and totally unrelated Twit-pic actually sounds more farfetched than him fishing some PR suits out of College Humor's dumpster.

Captain Codfish
12/15/14, 11:19 AM
I think its real. Now is the time for an adult Power Rangers series that is dark and mature. I see no reason why we cant have kid Power Rangers and an adult show at the same time. It also can exist separate from whatever the movie does. I am excited to see Big name actors invovled. I hope we hear more soon.

Tommyx13
12/26/14, 02:57 PM
Read through this whole thread and I definitely don't hate the idea of a tv show like this.Those costumes are pretty ugly though. Doubt anything will really come of it but it was fun to think about for a few minutes.

Galaxy Supreme
12/27/14, 01:46 PM
This idea is too whack. Maybe I can see an adult PR show someday. But I doubt it will be "dark and gritty"

VR Master
12/27/14, 01:49 PM
I think its real. Now is the time for an adult Power Rangers series that is dark and mature. I see no reason why we cant have kid Power Rangers and an adult show at the same time. It also can exist separate from whatever the movie does. I am excited to see Big name actors invovled. I hope we hear more soon.

We already have the movie coming. Which I think will be for more of a general audience. But I don't think it will be dark and gritty in a way some people are talking about. Just a bit more mature than the TV show. Really I think thats all we need. The show and the movie franchise.