PDA

View Full Version : Should Tommy have been leader?

Red Spandex Forever
11/11/16, 11:42 AM
Do you think it was premature to make Tommy leader as White Ranger?

KimandTommy
11/11/16, 12:05 PM
Nope, Tommy deserved it for everything he went through. Plus for all his hard work as a Ranger.

Hailey Hartford
11/11/16, 02:08 PM
Judging from his screwup involving the Thunderzords and powers, making him leader was the stupidest thing ever!

MattEmily
11/11/16, 02:45 PM
Do you think it was premature to make Tommy leader as White Ranger?

not at all. He rightly deserved it.

Judging from his screwup involving the Thunderzords and powers, making him leader was the stupidest thing ever!

Keep in mind that losing the powers and zords wasn't all his fault since the Command Center was having issues and they had no other options other than to continue the fight. Retreating with Rito and 4 monsters on the loose would have been a bad move.

Everyone Loves Rocky
11/11/16, 09:50 PM
Zordon should have demoted Tommy and made Rocky the leader .

Adam White Tiger
11/11/16, 09:52 PM
Adam would have been a better leader actually.

Power Sentai
11/11/16, 09:56 PM
I always thought it was wierder that Rito ended up fighting the Rangers alone in the rematch. Why not send the monsters back out again?

No Green Spandex
11/11/16, 09:57 PM
I was actually happy since Tommy finally was allowed to make a mistake as White. Too bad they went rught back to making him a god.

Sentai Master
11/11/16, 10:02 PM
It was probably because it would have been too expensive to do more original footage.Its too bad the Thunderzords weren't shown to destroy the monsters before it fell apart.

Forever Jason
11/11/16, 10:44 PM
I'm glad someone started this thread. I think its awful Jason got replaced. Jason was the leader and proved he was good at it. Tommy was the new guy that got lucky since the Green Powers were so powerful. Plus we saw how bad Tommy was at it when he lost the Thunderzords. Zordom was lucly to get Jason back in Zeo. He would have replaced Tommy with Jason eventually in Turbo, but he left for Eltar...And Dimitria wanted her own team.

Ultra Mega
11/11/16, 11:21 PM
Tommy deserved to be the leader. Jason left anyway. Rocky wasn't fit to be leader.

Tommy Angel
11/12/16, 11:57 AM
Of course Tommy should have been the leader. He was the smartest and most powerful Ranger.

Ranger Master
11/12/16, 12:01 PM
Zordon was already phasing Jason out. Since he no longer thought he was Ranger material. Who do you think made sure Jason,Trini, and Zack went to the prace conference? Zordon also made sure the Rocky,Adam, and Aisha were transfered to Angel Grove as well.

Starlight Starbrite
11/12/16, 07:18 PM
It would have made more sense to wait until the cast change. But I think Zordon's line about making Tommy leader was added in post production.

Doomsday
11/13/16, 11:59 AM
Jason was having difficulty leading the Rangers against Zedd and Zordon felt he needed a new leader. Breaking the news during Tommy's return was just a way of cushioning the blow. I think its clear there was friction about this off screen. Since we saw Jason refer back to it in Zeo. Plus it was part of the conflict between tha. that predated FR.

Its also clear that the friction led to the team fracturing. Notice how Jason, Zack, and Trini were never around after Tommy became leader? Those three clearly weren't happy about the leadership change. Zordon lucked out when the Stone Canyon students became allies to the Rangers. This allowed Zordon to use the Peace Conference to get rid of the original three with three teens ready to become Power Rangers.

Sentai Envy
11/13/16, 12:03 PM
MMPR Productions foolishly thought that they could have a continuing cast and totally go around the Sentai. Once that was shown to be impossible this was the beginning of the road to a closer adaption of Sentai. Of course it took a lot of misteps before we fully got there.

PRangerX
11/13/16, 12:05 PM
I would have liked to have seen Rocky, Adam, and Aisha be part of a new Dairanger adaption. They shouldnhave had a full cast change with season 2.

Changeman Returns
11/13/16, 12:05 PM
I would have liked to have seen Rocky, Adam, and Aisha be part of a new Dairanger adaption. They should have had a full cast change with season 2.

Time Force Traitor
11/13/16, 03:04 PM
Jason gets overrated because he was first. Tommy was a much better leader and character.

Kimberly Hart
11/13/16, 03:06 PM
Tommy was the best Ranger. Its not even a question for me that he should have been leader.

PRangerX
11/13/16, 03:09 PM
I always thought it was wierder that Rito ended up fighting the Rangers alone in the rematch. Why not send the monsters back out again?

I remember thinking that too.

Green Saba
11/13/16, 03:14 PM
Tommy was just fine as leader. It was awkward with Jason still being around but he ended up leaving soon after.

Everyone Loves Rocky
11/13/16, 03:16 PM
Rocky was better than Jason so there was no real loss there.

Delta Black
11/13/16, 09:39 PM
It would have been better if they waited until the cast change to make Tommy leader. But Tommy ended up being a great leader.

Forever Jason
11/13/16, 09:43 PM
Jason should have the leader after "White Light". He was way better than Tommy.

edit: Forgot I already replied lol

Mesagog Lives
11/13/16, 09:48 PM
I watched the early seasons long after the fact but Tommy was overrated to me. I liked him as the Mentor/Ranger in DT. But seeing his work in the early seasons leaves me scratching my head to why he is treated like the best Ranger ever.

White Spandex Rules
11/13/16, 10:02 PM
Definitely, he was the most qualified for the job.

MattEmily
11/14/16, 12:39 PM

It was probably because it would have been too expensive to do more original footage.Its too bad the Thunderzords weren't shown to destroy the monsters before it fell apart.

exactly they didn't have anything to make original footage of the Ninjazords and even if they did they likely wouldn't have wanted to do that with perfectly good usable Kakuranger footage granted it would have been nice if the monsters had been destroyed in the previous fight.

Jason was having difficulty leading the Rangers against Zedd and Zordon felt he needed a new leader. Breaking the news during Tommy's return was just a way of cushioning the blow. I think its clear there was friction about this off screen. Since we saw Jason refer back to it in Zeo. Plus it was part of the conflict between tha. that predated FR.

Its also clear that the friction led to the team fracturing. Notice how Jason, Zack, and Trini were never around after Tommy became leader? Those three clearly weren't happy about the leadership change. Zordon lucked out when the Stone Canyon students became allies to the Rangers. This allowed Zordon to use the Peace Conference to get rid of the original three with three teens ready to become Power Rangers.

exactly but only to a point. The whole reason with why Jason is different in "Forever Red" and doesn't have the same kind of friendship with Tommy in that episode has nothing to do with anything to do with their leadership history it was actually something to do with an offscreen thing due to people being obsessed with inappropriate Fanfics of the two of them together.

I doubt Zack, Trini and Jason had any issues with the whole leadership thing their actors just weren't there since they had already walked out.

Ranger Master
11/14/16, 01:17 PM
I think Doomsday is on to something. There was friction between the characters and Zordon wanted the originaks gone. He already soured on Jason as leader. Almost having a meltdown after "Green No More" was the final straw.

Massive Ego
11/14/16, 01:20 PM
Yeah he is on to an interesting fan fic that I won't read. Since fan fics annoy me.

Gold Ranger In Danger
11/15/16, 01:48 PM
I always liked Jason as the leader. But seeing how he was leaving the show, it made sense to make Tommy the leader in post production. I am glad we just got Jason back in Zeo and the Turbo Movie. Too bad it wasn't for longer. But I guess the original Turbos ended up leaving soon anyway.

Smarty Pants Rose
11/19/16, 08:06 AM
Jason should have remained the leader until the new guys took over. Tommy taking over as leader after the change over made more sense.

Forever Jason
11/19/16, 08:08 AM
It was beyond insulting for Jason to lose the leadership in "White Light". Jason had a ruvht tk be mad at Tommy leading into "Forever Red".

Titanium Black
11/19/16, 08:09 AM
Tommy was the better all around leader and had the most power. Jason was also big enough to do what was best for the team. Zordon made the right call here. If Jason stayed in he woukdnl have been second in command like Rocky.

Dinoguy
11/21/16, 12:12 AM
Why wouldn't Tommy become the leader? He was the most popular character on the show at the time.

White Spandex Rules
11/21/16, 12:12 AM
I couldn't imagine White Ranger Tommy not being the leader.

Tommy Hater
11/21/16, 12:13 AM
Oh please, Tommy ruined the show. The show was great with the original five and then they had to shoehorn in Tommy.

Red Spandex Forever
11/21/16, 12:15 AM
To answer my own question, they should have waited for him to become Zeo Red to officially make him the Ranger.

Spike Hart
11/21/16, 09:12 PM
He seemed pretty qualified to lead to me. I agree about it making more sense if they waited for Jason to be written out.

Mystic Ranger
11/21/16, 09:38 PM
Tommy was clearly the better leader. Jason was a little arrogant to tell you the truth. And he showed signs of fatigue after Tommy lost his Green Powers for good. The other Rangers almost were lost due to his self doubt. Zordon couldn't wait for something like that to happen again. And Tommy was brought back more powerful than ever. So it made so much sense it would have been weird not to name him the leader. Jason was just glad to have him back. Even if he probably regretted losing his leadership position once the dust settled.