PDA

View Full Version : Time to go back to continous story telling?

PRangerX
11/23/04, 06:59 PM
As any long time Power Ranger fans know, the show used to not change casts and characters after every season. MMPR-Space saw a continuing story that usually didn't change casts unless necessary. Basically the story kept going on and on. And Of course after Space things changed to the more sentai like approach. Each year featured a diffrent cast, theme, set of power, villians, story, ect. Of course each consecutive season was still present in the regular PR universe.

Now I wonder if it is time to get back to the old way a bit more. Don't get me wrong I used to be adament against going back to the MMPR-Space method. I don't want them to go back to cheesy stories and unresolved plot pionts. Lets face it, MMPR-Turbo was full of plot holes. There was no story archs and things just changed to suit the new sentai footage. With Space all this was cleaned up and the producers were allowed to preceed with the Sentai Method.

Now What I propose is to somehow tell stories continously instead of starting over every year. Only this time the writing would be more like the Space to DinoThunder days, It would be interesting to see how the current staff could pull this off with the current way PR is written. I mean you could really have some interesting story archs from year to year.

With the way NS and DT were written I feel both season would have done better if they lasted more than a year. I mean DT seemed to end too soon. Maybe the finalie wouldn't have been such a let down if things were left open for a new season. I just think with the new direction PR has taken the last few years it may be time to go back to continuing stories from year to year. It would be an interesting way to keep things interesting. Just think how good MMPR could have been if it had the more mature writing of Space-DT.

Now I realize this is high unlikely. I think the shows producers are more than happy to continue things the way they are. Plus Doug Sloan and Ann Austen are gone so the new Producers aren't as familar with the PRU. It is highly possible PR will once again take a slightly different direction. Than of course your running into the problems of what to do when actors want to leave. Also you face adapting the privous years season to the new sentai footage all the while making it all fit. Plus its a different type of story telling that PR has not been used to in awhile. It maybe hard to keep interesting story archs from year to year. Plus if the show is cancelled after a season PR woudn't end with all its lose ends tied up.

But I think this is a worthy idea to think about. A year ago I would be bashing myself for saying this. This isn't a "DT should get a second season post." Just a radical idea for PR to preceed and grow.