PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Mammoth might be making a come back

PRangerX
01/18/11, 05:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_asia_afp/japansciencemammoth_20110117104445

Sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder how far they are going to take this? Assuming this works and the clone can reproduce. Are they actually going to attempt to reintroduce them to the wild? Can they even survive in the current climate?

There is also ethical questions to consider. Is it right to engineer the return of species? While sometimes mankind has caused extinction, other animals have simply died off due to evolution or the changes in the Earth. Once you start to play with life things can get complicated. You could also do some serious ecological damage if you reintroduce the wrong species back.

I suppose it would give us the ability to stop endangered specious ( that we're responsible for) from dying off. But this kind of power in the wrong hands could be dangerous.

Still the idea intrigues me. It would be kind of cool to have an extinct species back. As long as its not destructive or done for the wrong reasons. But it is an amazing idea.

Kamen Rider Decade
01/18/11, 06:02 PM
This is one of the few times I think science should be regulated the dire outcomes far outweigh any good outcomes (which are at best only for zoos and scientific study).