PDA

View Full Version : Conventional vs. Contemporary Special Effects

TokuNoob
09/28/09, 10:46 PM
Let's face it, if you're a member on this forum you probably already appreciate man-in-suit technology, but what about special effects in general? Anyone out there prefer Star Wars the way it was when the movie first came out in the seventies, as opposed to George Lucas's "improved" version with CGI?

I personally don't have anything against any form of special effects, but it seems that most other forms of visual effects have been drowned out in the digital age. At least back in the golden age of cinema studios had some variety: stop-motion, go-motion, robotically assisted creature suits, animatronics and rotoscoping (yeah!).

How about you? What's your favorite visual effect?

Tendou
09/28/09, 11:06 PM
I am a fan of CG work. I did like the new trilogy in terms of the visuals, but the stories were kind of weak. I think CG offers large variety depending on who is utilizing it. Also it enables lower budget movies to look like higher budget movies. It is a cheaper and IMO more effective technology.

Gerbil the Sinner
09/28/09, 11:11 PM
I don't care one way or the other.

TokuNoob
09/28/09, 11:12 PM
As I have said I think all forms of visaul effects are awesome. To pick my favorite would be next to impossible. But one that's been missing from live-action films since the eighties is good-old stop motion. Believe it or not this time honored technique can now rival CGI in looks and cost effectiveness. Proof in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYriVfXaXPk