Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The gap between Zeo and TAPRM - your headcanon? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8471)

blacklion400 12/29/14 07:31 AM

The gap between Zeo and TAPRM - your headcanon?

So, having recently marathoned through Zeo, I am about the watch Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (dear god that's such a bad title facepalm-icon) and I was curious, in your own personal canon so-to-speak, how to you resolve the issues and plot threads from Zeo that got left un-answered?

The main one of course being;

.What happened to the Zeo powers and where did the Turbo powers come from?

The other less important ones being;

.What happened to Bulk and Skull's trip to France and why did they, and Lt. Stone suddenly get re-hired into the police force?

.Why did Rita and Zedd suddenly quit trying to fight the power rangers, when they seemed quite determined at the end of Zeo?

.Where did Jason suddenly disappear to, as the movie suggests he's been away for a while?

If I've missed any let me know!

My own personal head canon for the first question is that Billy (as often suggested) had created the turbo powers. They were made from the zeo crystals as a back up to the zeo powers. However, they could only be used as an alternate, not at the same time. When going through the nemesis triangle, the rangers needed something less powerful to go through with them so it couldn't be detected by the triangle, and that the link to the zeonizers was also cut off when they went through it.

Jason I always assumed went off to live with Emily out of town somewhere. Emily kept her job at the youth centre for a while however, hence why we see her in one episode of Turbo (I think it's one :confused:).

Bulk and Skull I've thought maybe they did go to France but got conned by the detective agency that had hired them (I wrote a little fan-fic about it once). When they get home they find that Lt. Stone has got his old job back, what with the detective agency going bankrupt. He pulls some strings and gets them their jobs back too.

As for Rita and Zedd I've never thought of anything that interesting for them, only that once they got home they managed to shut down and destroy the machine palace, then suddenly realised that fighting the power rangers would be a waste of time, and just basically quit.

Your turn :)

Karone1 12/29/14 07:31 AM

Re: The gap between Zeo and TAPRM - your headcanon?

I don't like the idea that a mere human can create powers so advanced like that. Not surprisingly, I do not like the premise of Lightspeed Rescue. As far as the Turbo powers, in the movie I think it is explicitly stated that the Rangers created those new powers themselves, with the help of Zordon and Alpha. It's a pitiful explanation, but still an explanation. As far as Jason's random disappearance, the obvious answer is that they didn't have enough room for him with just five Turbo Rangers characters. They could have replaced Rocky with him as the Blue Ranger, but that would essentially be a demotion. The very least they could have done is given him a proper send-off, like they did with Kimberly and failed to do in Season 2. I think it would have made more sense that the Machine Empire gave up trying to capture the Earth and just left, giving Rita and Zedd a default victory, as opposed to Rita and Zedd actually defeating the Machine Empire, then randomly leaving and paving the way for Divatox. But that's just me.

mjohnson1989 12/29/14 07:31 AM

I'd go with Jason going off to live with Emily, seems most logical to me. As for Rita and Zedd, it seems as though their motivation during Zeo was defeating the Machine Empire rather than the rangers so once they'd done that it was enough for them

Agent Z182 12/29/14 07:31 AM

On the Zeo powers, one theory I've heard is that they had evolved to the point were they were becoming to powerful for the Rangers to handle. Look at Tommy's "Zeo Flying Power Kick". In Zeo it was never used for anything other than to take down a cog. In "Forever Red", it sends a Machine General flying backwards into a cliff and causes him to explode! Billy probably created the Turbo powers while he was at Command Centre while studying the Zeo powers.

c_dude 12/29/14 07:31 AM

Regarding Jason, I always figured that he left town after Zeo. He spent a couple of years at a peace conference in Switzerland with two of his oldest/closest friends (Zack and Trini), and then came home and spent some more time as a Ranger again with two more of his closest/oldest friends (Billy, as well as Tommy fits under closest, if not oldest). Once he lost the Gold Ranger powers, it was probably hard for him to remain in town powerless while te Rangers continued to battle, so he left town and went to Florida to spend time with the only one of is oldest/closest friends that he hadn't seen in years: Kimberly.

To me, it makes sense, having to get away, but reconnecting with a close friend whom he hadn't seen in years. That would also explain why he returned to Angel Grove WITH KImberly in the movie. After all, she did say that "WE came back to help out with the shelter", meaning they both returned to town. Just for the record though, I am one of those who does not buy the Jason/Kimberly "romance" that some people seem to imply. I see them more as a brother/sister type relationship (and not in the way Kimberly said that Tommy was "like a brother" in her letter... that just made NO sense lol!), which makes sense for Jason to want to reconnect with someone who is like a sister to him.

AdzPower92 12/29/14 07:31 AM

The rangers themselves created the Turbo powers, I can only assume by transforming the zeonizers into the turbo morphers, some sort of change occurred where they reduced the power of the zeo crystal and then re-routed that power into speed to create the turbo powers.

MMPRpinkninja 12/29/14 07:31 AM

I was never a fan of the rangers creating the Turbo Powers because it seemed odd. They just helped create these powers but then they showed confusion when introduced the the zords and powers? Tanya even said "They are just cars" I would have rather seen Lerigot leave a power source behind before he turned himself over to Divatox. The keys perhaps?

The time between the end of Zeo and start of Turbo was always confusing to me. Was it a matter of months? weeks?

I never bought into the Jason and Kimberly "romance" either. They were life long friends coming back to help their friends and hometown in a time of need. Why is that so hard to believe? How does that mean they are automatically together? Nothing about their interactions showed any change how they had always been around each other before.

arcticphoenix87 12/29/14 07:31 AM

My head canon:

Zeo season premiere sets us up with the premise we are in a Cold War-esque fight between two Super Powers: Zeo Rangers, the MOST powerful rangers in the universe, versus the Machine Empire, the MOST powerful evil faction in the universe, who have just broke away from their alliance with Dark Specter. Explains why 5 (later 6) individuals have the power to fight back against thousands of Cogs and artillery.

Season progresses... mostly a stalemate, but the Machine Empire has a slight edge with their Neoplutonium armor. Day and night attacks makes the rangers fatigued. Dark Specter (still a secret behind the scenes), realizing that if the Rangers fail, knows that the Machine Empire will come for him next. Thus, he sends Rita and Zedd to negotiate a temporary alliance with the Rangers.

Zedd shows up on the viewing globe with a proposition. He has a weapon that is powerful enough to wipe out the Machine Empire (Surprise: Serpentera!) but it doesn't have a reliable energy source. That's where the rangers come in: all Zedd needs in one Zeo subcrystal to power Serpentera (again, these are the MOST powerful sources of energy in the universe) and Serpentera is good to go. Rangers don't trust Zedd, but they have no choice. Tommy agrees to Give his subcrystal to power Serpentera, since the Machine Empire recently destroyed/captured his Red Punchazord. We have a few interesting scenes of Billy and Finster working together to configure the Zeo Crystal with Serpentera.

With Serpentera powered, they successfully wipe out 95% of the Machine Empire's forces, including damaging the Royal House of Gadgetry who are taken hostage by Rita and Zedd. Of course Zedd is evil and double crosses the rangers, who sets Serpentera on a course for Angel Grove to wipe out Earth with the Zeo Crystal's power. The rangers can't disable it, but they realize they can overload Serpentera's engines if they sacrifice the other 4 Zeo Subcrystals in the its engine. Serpentera can't handle the additional power, and explodes and crashes on the moon (setting us up for Wild Force).

Rita/Zedd retreat with captured Machine King and Queen to be reprogrammed. Rangers won the war, but desperately need powers in case something happens. Zordon admits he doesn't have any backup powers to pull out of his ass, so Tommy suggests they build them from scratch with something modern: cars. Fortunately, there's just enough residual morphin' grid energy from the Zeo Crystal to power the Turbo keys, but the rangers will never again be as powerful as they once were. Fortunately their next villain (Divatox) isn't a "superpower", so the Turbo powers are sufficient to handle her threats.

White Genesis 12/29/14 07:31 AM

I'll go with the Turbo powers being the reason Billy was vanishing when the Gold Ranger first appeared but in my headcanon, they weren't meant to replace Zeo at first. They were meant to be a set of powers for a team Billy was going to form himself when Tommy and co retired because the Zeo Powers couldn't be easily transferred. When Jason came close to dying from the Gold zeo powers, Billy rushed to complete them and left them to be used later after leaving Earth.

After Zeo, Jason left because he no longer felt needed and Zedd and Rita made a comback in a smaller, yet more leathal version of Serpenterra. The fight pushes the Zeo powers to the limits and severely drains the rangers to the point that morphing must be kept at a minimum. Zedd and Rita decide to semi-retire, give birth to Thrax. age him to adulthood to get out of raising him, and ship him off with his grandpa and Uncle Rito. He acts as Master Vile's warlord for a time but is banished before the Z Wave strikes and travels the universe until he comes across Sentinel knight. Also, the Machine Empire is humbled rejoins the United Alliance of Evil after Dark Specter rebuilds them.

NewWhiteTiger 12/29/14 07:31 AM

From what I remember, they needed the turbo keys to pass through the triangle, and when Zordon realized he could harness those energies to make even stronger powers he did, after all why wait for your weapons to be destroyed to make better ones when you can just make better ones.

As for Bulk and Skull, I too feel they got conned, and when they returned Lt. Stone decided to save his money up instead of run his own Detective agency, and buy into the Juice Bar instead, helping the boys get the security job for old times sake, but realizing the PI thing wouldn't work out for them.

I think Jason left town to finally live a normal life, and came back for the charity event. Maybe he went to college, maybe he just moved, but he's experiencing normal teenage life.

As for the Zedd thing, I used to think they just settled down, but that didn't make much sense. Either way there's and undeniable time gap between the last Zeo episode and the Turbo movie, so either they fought hard against the machines or rangers and called it quits, or Thrax happened and they thought fighting the rangers was too risky with a kid on the way. Or hell maybe they were still fighting the rangers but didn't back off until Divatox showed on Earth, the Turbo series just did a bad job showing that.

Dark storm 12/29/14 07:31 AM

If you have the time for it, Hellion01 posted a fanfic a while back that I really enjoyed, and seemed to fit that hole pretty well.
http://www.RangerBoard.com/showthread.php?t=143778

Shadowforce_71 12/30/14 07:31 AM

My head canon is this:

The Zeo Rangers fought the Machine Empire's remnants over the remainder of their senior year of high school (which explains why it was summer during the end of Zeo but they graduated at the beginning of turbo).

I like the idea the Zeo powers constantly got stronger as was directly mentioned on the show albeit off handed like. I imagine the powers got to a point like the Gold Ranger powers that a regular human can't use them for long intervals without physical damage.

About the Cold War thing, I always felt based on in series comments that Earth was considered the "backwater" of the Zordon/UAE war. The Southeast Asia/Vietnam/Middle East equivalent. So once they got the Millenium message, you have to wonder why they shipped off Veterans for a rookie ranger team? Why leave that rookie team with the new mentors?

My head canon is with the Zeo powers intact, Zordon was essentially playing the "long game". The Turbo Rangers were to be the "face" team that protects Earth while the Space Rangers protect KO-35, the Alien's Aquitar, and Trey Triforia.

Whether we accept Jason, Zack, Trini, Billy, Kim, Tommy, Aisha, Rocky, Adam, and Tanya had active powers or not, you can't tell me they weren't fighting somewhere off screen during C2D.

So my head canon is Zordon had the Zeo rangers as a reserve or insurgency team. Why else would you replace your vets at the beginning of a war?

Dinorider37 12/30/14 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticphoenix87 (Post 71961)
My head canon:

Zeo season premiere sets us up with the premise we are in a Cold War-esque fight between two Super Powers: Zeo Rangers, the MOST powerful rangers in the universe, versus the Machine Empire, the MOST powerful evil faction in the universe, who have just broke away from their alliance with Dark Specter. Explains why 5 (later 6) individuals have the power to fight back against thousands of Cogs and artillery.

Season progresses... mostly a stalemate, but the Machine Empire has a slight edge with their Neoplutonium armor. Day and night attacks makes the rangers fatigued. Dark Specter (still a secret behind the scenes), realizing that if the Rangers fail, knows that the Machine Empire will come for him next. Thus, he sends Rita and Zedd to negotiate a temporary alliance with the Rangers.

Zedd shows up on the viewing globe with a proposition. He has a weapon that is powerful enough to wipe out the Machine Empire (Surprise: Serpentera!) but it doesn't have a reliable energy source. That's where the rangers come in: all Zedd needs in one Zeo subcrystal to power Serpentera (again, these are the MOST powerful sources of energy in the universe) and Serpentera is good to go. Rangers don't trust Zedd, but they have no choice. Tommy agrees to Give his subcrystal to power Serpentera, since the Machine Empire recently destroyed/captured his Red Punchazord. We have a few interesting scenes of Billy and Finster working together to configure the Zeo Crystal with Serpentera.

With Serpentera powered, they successfully wipe out 95% of the Machine Empire's forces, including damaging the Royal House of Gadgetry who are taken hostage by Rita and Zedd. Of course Zedd is evil and double crosses the rangers, who sets Serpentera on a course for Angel Grove to wipe out Earth with the Zeo Crystal's power. The rangers can't disable it, but they realize they can overload Serpentera's engines if they sacrifice the other 4 Zeo Subcrystals in the its engine. Serpentera can't handle the additional power, and explodes and crashes on the moon (setting us up for Wild Force).

Rita/Zedd retreat with captured Machine King and Queen to be reprogrammed. Rangers won the war, but desperately need powers in case something happens. Zordon admits he doesn't have any backup powers to pull out of his ass, so Tommy suggests they build them from scratch with something modern: cars. Fortunately, there's just enough residual morphin' grid energy from the Zeo Crystal to power the Turbo keys, but the rangers will never again be as powerful as they once were. Fortunately their next villain (Divatox) isn't a "superpower", so the Turbo powers are sufficient to handle her threats.

That is a great head cannon. I really dig it.

Plus Tommy went on to race cars so it makes sense that he would pick the new team theme as he was the veteran ranger and Zordon favored him by that point.

Shadowforce_71 12/30/14 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticphoenix87 (Post 71961)
My head canon:

only problem with that they were seen using Zeo Powers in TAPRM. Only reason for the upgrade is the Zeo powers couldn't get the rangers through the Nemesis Triangle.

Digificwriter 12/30/14 07:31 AM

The only things that need explaining vis a vid Zeo/Turbo are why Jason and Kimberly were together, when Bulk and Skull came back and why, and why Zedd and Rita weren't fighting the Rangers.

Everything else is covered in the movie and season.

Void 12/30/14 07:31 AM

My headcanon? Okay.

After the events of Zeo, Rita and Zedd returned as they said they would. They managed to recharge and improve Serpentera back when they were at Master Vile's and were now ready to use it. The Rangers find out about this and intercept Serpentera on it's way to Earth and fight it with ALL of their Zords.

A massive battle in outer space occurs with Serpentera destroying quite a few Zords and taking damage due to it's lower maneuverability than the Zords. Due to Serpentera being too powerful, Alpha had to transfer some energy to the Zords like he did in the fight against Rito, except he was more careful this time. Eventually the Zords attack Serpentera's power source, causing it to lose power rapidly. With it's remaining power, Serpentera attacks the remaining Zords before plummeting to the moon.

Serpentera's final attack overloads the Zords causing a power flux (like the one Rito caused when he fought the Thunderzords). But unlike the Thunderzords, the Zeo Zords and Zeo powers were too strong to be destroyed by it, but were severely weakened (also, just like in the battle with Rito, the power flux caused an overload in the Power Chamber as well, damaging it). With the Pyramidus badly damaged but capable of travel, Trey went back home in order to repair it. Auric was either killed or too injured and decided to reseal himself until he is fully healed. Zedd, injured by Serpentera's crash and realizing Rita is pregnant, decided to stop attacking the Rangers for the time being and returns to Vile's galaxy.

Then came TAPRM. The Zeo Zords and powers were still too weakened and damaged from the battle with Serpentera to be used to their full extent. This is why Kat's Zeo form couldn't withstand falling into water and why the powers and Zords were incapable of getting through the Nemesis Triangle.

Fortunately, in true Zordon fashion, he had a backup plan, so he and Alpha were working on stabilizing the weakened Zeo powers in order to use them to create new Zords and powers. The Rangers later helped them finish. And so the Turbo Zords and powers were created. They were superior to the damaged Zeo Zords and powers, but inferior to Zeo Zords and powers as they were during the Zeo season. Still, they were better than nothing so they had to get the job done.

The battle with Serpentera attracted attention from people on Earth as pieces of Zords started raining down like a meteor shower, one of them crashing into the French agency Bulk and Skull were working for, destroying it and causing them to have to return home. People got worried about the pieces of Zords falling, so the police force was willing to re-hire Stone, Bulk and Skull. They needed all the men they could get.

Kimberly also saw this and decided to check on the Rangers. She contacted Jason (since she was reluctant to contact Tommy after the infamous letter) and he told her everything was okay, and that Rita and Zedd are defeated for good. Happy to hear this, she decided to visit them and called Jason over to help her plan her visit. So he traveled to where ever she was, the two spent some time together, reminiscing about old times and, when Kimberly finally had some free time, they left for Angel Grove. They thought scuba diving might be a good way to hang out with the team, so they decided to test out their gear and got themselves captured.

The power flux damaged the Power Chamber, hence why everyone decided to move their center of operations up. This is why, instead of being underground like in Zeo, the power Chamber was on ground floor in the Turbo finale.

cleanuphtr15 12/30/14 07:31 AM

Rita and Zedd called off their conquest because she was preggers. Duh. (sticks out tongue icon)

Titanium321 12/30/14 07:31 AM

I don't know if it necessarily needs head canon. A lot of these things can just be chalked up to the passage of time and how Zeo ends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklion400 (Post 71954)
.What happened to the Zeo powers and where did the Turbo powers come from?

Turbo powers are made in the movie as the dialogue states. Zordon tells them they are making new powers right there to cross over to Maligore's island and they just stick with them over Zeo. Which we saw they still had in the movie. Turbo Powers were just more effective at the time.

Quote:

.What happened to Bulk and Skull's trip to France and why did they, and Lt. Stone suddenly get re-hired into the police force?
They went to France, they came back. They got one last chance on the force, according to Stone. But Stone ultimately went with running the juice bar and Bulk and Skull disappeared as far as everyone else was concerned.

Quote:

.Why did Rita and Zedd suddenly quit trying to fight the power rangers, when they seemed quite determined at the end of Zeo?
Who said they quit? Rita just told Divatox to run. Laughing at her. She was mocking Divatox, thinking she was beneath her and an attempt at taking down the Rangers when she couldn't was ridiculous.

Rita and Zedd just weren't on Earth or the Moon at the time of Turbo. When we see them again, they're working for Dark Spectre to fight the forces of good. Turbo was a breather for them.

Quote:

.Where did Jason suddenly disappear to, as the movie suggests he's been away for a while?
Same place Tommy disappeared to when he lost his powers. He just wasn't there and stayed out of the Rangers way until he got a SCUBA invite from Kimberly.

Dark storm 12/30/14 07:31 AM

lol and I think many of us still wonder about and question that too, even tho is has really nothing to do with the storyline. Why does Kimberly break up with Tommy and then come back and invite Jason to go scuba diving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanuphtr15 (Post 71970)
Rita and Zedd called off their conquest because she was preggers. Duh. (sticks out tongue icon)

of course. That must have been when they had Thrax. Can't imagine what child-birth must be like for an evil sorceress, especially one whose Japanese counter-part hated children

Reaper33X 12/30/14 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark storm (Post 71972)
Why does Kimberly break up with Tommy and then come back and invite Jason to go scuba diving?

To make Tommy jealous, the bitch! haha

ASpice92 12/30/14 07:31 AM

Quote:

What happened to the Zeo powers and where did the Turbo powers come from?
Zordon's marketing team informed him that Zeo wasn't doing well so out with the old, in with the new.

The Turbo powers come from Eltar. Justin said this in the finale. I figured Zordon has an Eltarian team or something. Same people who designed the Thunderzords for him.

Quote:

They overslept and missed their flight.

They got re-hired after Stone begged for his job back,

Quote:

After a long discussion after blowing up the Machine Empire they realized they could never win and gave up. That's why Rita mocks Divatox for trying to fight the Rangers TWICE. They were retired from Ranger fighting/earth conquering.

Quote:

Florida, I assume.

jasonstanley1985 01/03/15 07:31 AM

On the quest to stop Divatox from unleashing the evil of her demonic fiancé, Maligore upon the universe. The power of the Zeo Crystal and the Zeo Zords are not strong enough to withstand this new evil, so Zordon and Alpha assist the Rangers in creating the new Turbo Powers.

IMTIRED 01/03/15 07:31 AM

I just know I hate the gap. As a kid it really was a letdown when the series had really begun to build a somewhat strong sense of continuity, to just suddenly have this weird dimensional-shift in the PRU. I could handle it with the first film because it was outside of continuity, but dropping all those plots definitely weakened my opinion of Turbo when it aired.I felt as though I had missed something which was very aggravating as a serious fan.

big smile 01/03/15 07:31 AM

The original TAPRM movie script explained it somewhat: The Zeo powers wouldn't work in the nemesis triangle, so they had to create new Turbo powers to enter it. It's revealed that Zordon had been keeping Lerigo's key for sometime, so it's implied he based the Turbo powers on that (as they also use keys) and so didn't pull them out of no where (although of course, you get the issue of why he didn't use them during MMAR).

Then, after the mission was over, the Turbo powers were welded with the Rangers, so they couldn't use the Zeo powers any more (although, that would have caused issues for the cast change).

These explanations are weak, but they would have been better than nothing. It's too bad they cut them out.

Citrus James Gaylyn 01/04/15 07:31 AM

Earlier in production TAPRM was titled 'Race to the Volcano'. Even though the title was dropped, the plot still centres around the Rangers chasing after Divatox. Zeo might become stronger, but Turbo are faster.

GreenDTRanger 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Scorpion Rain apparently happened, unexplained as it is. Here is what I have pieced together for my personal continuity.

-After spending years with Zack and Trini, then reconnecting with Billy and Tommy, Jason goes to Florida to visit Kim. When he returns to be with Emily, Kim comes with him.

-A modified (and smaller) Serpenterra is brought back once the Machine Empire is out of commission

-Rita & Zedd (with Serpenterra) were able to take 3 Zeo Rangers and all but one zord out of commission.

-Whatever Tommy did that rendered Serpenterra defeated (massive EMP?) was enough for Zedd & Rita to abandon it completely and flee.

-The Zeo crystals were sent to Eltar for safekeeping. The energy tubes in the back of the Power Chamber that replaced the MMPR display were in fact attempts at fixing/replacing/duplicating the Zeo powers. Those tubes are still linked to the crystals and energy is siphoned into the tubes.

-When it came time to search for Lerigot, Zordon sent Tommy and Kat to Africa as they were the only ones with fully functioning powers

-To go after Divatox and utilize the Ghost Galleon, it was actually easier and more expedient to duplicate the dimensional barrier breaching abilities of Lerigot's key with Eltar's turbo velocity technology. This necessitated creating keys to control the ship and compatible new zords.

-With the Zeo crystals still safe on Eltar serving as fuel, and the team having fully functioning powers and zords again, they just stayed with what they had.

Ankh Primo 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDTRanger (Post 71980)
Scorpion Rain apparently happened, unexplained as it is.

This. People can hate Amit as much as they want, but his hand was official and it waved the events of a joke-turned-fan-edit into reality.

Bulk and Skull can easily be chalked up to them screwing up in France somehow and Stone being forced to beg for the police department to let them back in. Now there's a fan film I would love to see.

evilstarlegacy 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASpice92 (Post 71975)
The Turbo powers come from Eltar. Justin said this in the finale. I figured Zordon has an Eltarian team or something. Same people who designed the Thunderzords for him.

At the very least they power source is on Eltar. The speed technology needed to power the Ghost Galleon and push through the dimensional barrier was totally Eltarian and it was used to create powers based on human vehicules. That's why they were depowered when Dark Specter took Eltar in the season finale, why the Phantom Ranger came from Eltar with the new Zords and why Zordon created robot rangers that could yield the Turbo powers.

Seriously, the turbo power's origin is really not something that annoys me.

The only question left would be why they didn't go back to the zeo powers after the movie, but maybe the blue zeo crystal couldn't bond with Justin?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankh Primo (Post 71981)
This. People can hate Amit as much as they want, but his hand was official and it waved the events of a joke-turned-fan-edit into reality.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever doesn't end up on TV and is never refered to ever again isn't canon. I don't care what Amit says... the Jason character becoming a cocky solitary biker who had run-ins with the law is not canon.

johnboy3434 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDTRanger (Post 71980)
Scorpion Rain apparently happened, unexplained as it is.

I think a more accurate way to say it would be "Events directly based on 'Scorpion Rain' happened", rather than "Scorpion Rain" itself. SR is still a fanfic/fanfilm with no official form released or approved by the rights holders, so it can't be a part of the canon on its own.

Think of it like those crime scene reconstructions they have on TruTV: You're not watching the actual crime, but that's what the actual crime looked like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilstarlegacy (Post 71982)
As far as I'm concerned, whatever doesn't end up on TV and is never refered to ever again isn't canon. I don't care what Amit says... the Jason character becoming a cocky solitary biker who had run-ins with the law is not canon.

Except the events of SR are explicitly (if vaguely) referenced in the show itself, which can't be said for the stupid "run-ins with the law" backstory. A battle in which Lord Zedd was defeated and Serpentera was left heavily damaged on the moon? That reference, combined with Amit's direct admission that he was referring to SR, is what makes it part of the continuity, because at that point Amit is just clarifying what the characters already said rather than saying something entirely new by himself.

evilstarlegacy 01/06/15 07:31 AM

I was specifically talking about Jason. Serpentera being left on the moon after a final fight with Lord Zedd is something that would make sense and would bridge the gap between Zeo and Turbo nicely.

ASpice92 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Do people still take Amit's word at face value?

We know at some point between Zeo's finale and T:APRM movie that Zedd and Rita gave up on villainy. We also know at some point that Serpentera ended up on the moon. Make of it what you will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASpice92 (Post 71985)
Do people still take Amit's word at face value?

When it's directly supported by the show and concerning an episode that he wrote himself? Of course we do. Why wouldn't we?

Digificwriter 01/06/15 07:31 AM

^ Why shouldn't we take Amit's word at face value? Because he killed any shreds of credibility he may have had by blindly endorsing Jonathan Tzachor's ridiculous viewpoint on Power Rangers continuity... in spite of said viewpoint being completely contradictory to what is actually established by the franchise's Canon.

blacklion400 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy3434 (Post 71986)
When it's directly supported by the show and concerning an episode that he wrote himself? Of course we do. Why wouldn't we?

Should we also take Tzachor at face value when he says that every season is part of its own universe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 71987)
^ Why shouldn't we take Amit's word at face value? Because he killed any shreds of credibility he may have had by blindly endorsing Jonathan Tzachor's ridiculous viewpoint on Power Rangers continuity... in spite of said viewpoint being completely contradictory to what is actually established by the franchise's Canon.

What bearing does that have on his ability to clarify statements made by characters in "Forever Red", though? He wrote the episode. He understands it better than anyone possibly could (or at least he did at the time he wrote it). When his explanations don't run counter to anything previously presented in the show, what reason do we have to question them beyond "I don't like him"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacklion400y (Post 71988)
Should we also take Tzachor at face value when he says that every season is part of its own universe?

For one thing, Tzachor has never written a single episode of PR. Second, that statement would also have bearings on seasons he was not involved with, so that makes it immediately suspect without an in-show justification. On that note: Third, nothing in the show has ever explicitly said that each team might occupy its own universe (quite the opposite, in fact).

By contrast, FR explicitly says that Lord Zedd was defeated and Serpentera was left in ruins on the moon, an event that occurred offscreen. Amit, when questioned about it, simply clarified that this was a reference to the events of the "Scorpion Rain" fan hoax. Considering that he was actually involved in the hoax back in the late 90s, we have no reason to believe he was being untruthful when he said that it inspired the backstory. So, his claim contradicts nothing from the show, it's supported by his own personal history, and it regards an episode that he himself wrote without infringing on anyone else's creative space. There's no logical reason not to take that at face value.

Ankh Primo 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy3434 (Post 71989)
When his explanations don't run counter to anything previously presented in the show, what reason do we have to question them beyond "I don't like him"?

I've learned that no one needs a reason beyond that one.

NewWhiteTiger 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Amit saying he was referencing a fan fic he wrote years earlier doesn't mean the fan fic is in the same continuity as the actual series. Otherwise any fan fic writer on here could end up writing for power rangers, write a vague line and suddenly that dark story they wrote ten years earlier where half the former rangers died in the legend war could be canon, and that's just not how it works.

That being said, the turbo powers, however vague they are, do have clues to their origin. We know turbo technology was needed to get to Maligore's island. We know the turbo keys have the same properties as Lerigot's wand, the rangers put the finishing touches on the powers (or at least the zords) and we know the source to their power is housed on Eltar; which is something new because the rangers have only had power sources on them, being the power coins and the zeo sub crystals.

So as far as the turbo powers go we basically have a wizard did it for the explanation. Okay, so why not go back to Zeo after turbo powers were destroyed? Multiple theories for this one. Either the zeo crystal powers the turbo powers, the zeo powers were reclaimed offscreen by the former turbo rangers when they left, they were lost in the explosion, or the turbo rangers just didn't know about them and kind of assumed they lost all of their weapons, not just the turbo ones.

Now the one unanswered question that you can't just assume either way and have it lead to a viable answer is, why didn't Tommy use his former powers in dino thunder, at least before getting his own dino gem? One way or another he's stopped using them since forever red. I don't like the theory that the zeo powers could no longer be held by humans, mostly because in my personal headcanon the reason the gold ranger powers affected Jason the way they did was largely based off the fact that he didn't use a morpher, and the morphers are what kept the powers stable for the others. It's viable, just not the theory I want to believe. No, I personally think the powers were taken back to Eltar for the whole not escalating a battle thing, seeing as the Zeo's battle was now over and the wild force rangers ha the org situation down. having absolutely no powers is what I think leads Tommy to making the DT powers in the first place, just in case bad things happen and he can't get his old powers back. And when bad things happen in DT he just couldn't get in contact with Eltar before getting abducted at the end of the 3rd episode. He may have been in the process of getting in contact with Eltar but he was abducted literally the third episode, with the first two being a two parter. Before he had the chance he literally had a new power set all to himself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewWhiteTiger (Post 71991)
Amit saying he was referencing a fan fic he wrote years earlier doesn't mean the fan fic is in the same continuity as the actual series. Otherwise any fan fic writer on here could end up writing for power rangers, write a vague line and suddenly that dark story they wrote ten years earlier where half the former rangers died in the legend war could be canon, and that's just not how it works.

Actually, that's pretty much how it works. When you become a writer for a show in an official capacity, and the higher-ups don't veto the concepts you put into your work, those concepts (if not the exact form of them embodied in the fan work) are canon until future writers overwrite them. Lord Zedd attacked the Earth between Zeo and Turbo. He was defeated and Serpentera crashed into the moon. That these irrefutably canonical events were directly based on a fan work is reason enough to give said fan work some level of credence in its other particulars, until such time (if any) that said events are depicted otherwise in an official work.

Your example is a strawman argument because it involves directly and blatantly contradicting what has been established in prior canon. Even if said fan did include a line with such an implication, that implication is invalid because what it implies is incapable of being true.

ASpice92 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 71987)

And his Samurai proposal

And his Project hexagon proposal

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy3434 (Post 71992)
Lord Zedd attacked the Earth between Zeo and Turbo. He was defeated and Serpentera crashed into the moon.

None of that was in the episode Forever Red. All we know is that Serpentera was left at the moon. For all we know Goldar was taking Scorpina on a date they ran out of gas and Seperentera crashed on the moon.

Terror Rangers 01/06/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASpice92 (Post 71993)
None of that was in the episode Forever Red. All we know is that Serpentera was left at the moon. For all we know Goldar was taking Scorpina on a date they ran out of gas and Seperentera crashed on the moon.

Word of God. It's canon until proven otherwise in-show.