Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Zabitan's Forum (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=4725)

Zabitan 02/03/15 06:39 PM

Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Dogmatic Change written by Sam Orkun, and directed by John Grant Weil.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan once again talks about how his dad taught him that appearances are deceiving, and how you need to give someone time to show their true colors.

At the animal shelter Kaitlin is taking pictures for a story she hopes will get people to adopt the homeless animals while she, and the other Troopers along with Jeb go on about how sad it all is.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor once again takes a page from the Power Ranger villain handbook when Kaitlin’s article gives him the idea to transform into Grimlord, and order Icebot to create a potion that will turn pets in mutants so he can turn Crossworld City’s stray animals into his own personal army.

At Tao dojo JB is practicing a technique while Ryan, Kaitlin, Tao, and a little girl named Lindsay watch, and after a brief bit where Lindsay isn’t sure if she can do it, and JB tells her she can.

Kaitlin gets a call from Ziktor who gives a fake accent, and tells her he’s from a dog food company, and wants Kaitlin to take pictures for a new commercial, as well as bring a dog to star in it, and naturally she chooses Jeb who’s excited to star in his own commercial but Ziktor has one of his Skugs in the form of smarmy Hollywood director to be there when Kaitlin, and Jeb show up.

Later at the virtual dungeon Grimlord is messing with a weird old computer looking machine, and explains that as soon as Jeb has taken the mutagen Grimlord will summon him with a teleportation machine while the machine he’s messing with will control Jeb, and Toxoid will be in charge of the mission.

At the dog food commercial Kaitlin is taking pictures while Jeb eats the dog food, Ryan, and JB watch, and the producer secretly sips the mutagen in one of the plates of food for Jeb to eat, and afterwards the producer calls Ziktor on the phone to let him know the plan worked.

Later at the Underground Voice Daily the Troopers are looking at the pictures, and congratulating Jeb who’s already turning evil from the mutagen, and snaps at them before running off to scare a random pair of joggers.

Then the producer shows up, and Jeb teleports away while the Troopers wonder what happened to Jeb, and find the producer, and confront him but he transforms into an army of Skugs.

Ryan kicks one Skug, and punches another, JB throws one, and Kaitlin kicks two more Ryan kicks his Skugs while JB throws his Skug again, and Kaitlin keeps kicking her Skugs then Ryan, and Kaitlin kick their Skugs some more while JB punches kicks, and throws his Skug.

Then Ryan punches, and flips his Skugs while JB kicks his Skugs while Kaitlin kicks, and punches her Skugs, and destroys them then Ryan throws one Skug, and kicks the other into it destroying it, and JB just kicks his Skugs into each other destroying the last of them.

After the battle the Troopers realize what’s going on, and decide to take Jeb’s bowl to the lab for analysis while at the virtual dungeon Jeb has just finished mutating, and teleports into the mutant transporter, and for his first mission he, and Toxoid will go to the Zoo, and release the animals.

At the lab Kaitlin puts a sample on the microscope tray so that the lab’s scanner can see what it’s made out of, and the Professor explains that it contains a mutagen so the Troopers decide to look for the plant that makes the mutagen, and destroy it.

But a news report appears showing mutant Jeb rampaging at the Zoo so the Troopers transform with Ryan going after Jeb while the others destroy the mutagen plant.

Jeb jumps at Ryan who does a jump kick, and then flips Jeb over, and pins him down to try to reason with him but Jeb throws Ryan, and bites him so Ryan tries to reason with him some more but Jeb starts throwing him a bunch of times while JB, and Kaitlin find the mutagen plant but are attacked by jet fighters.

Then Jeb jumps at Ryan who punches Jeb but Jeb grows a drill, and tries to attack Ryan so Ryan asks the Professor to create a non mutated dog to remind Jeb of who he is while JB, and Kaitlin destroy Grimlord’s jet fighters.

Then Ryan kicks off Jeb who then tries to jump at Ryan but he jumps out of the way, and grabs Jeb, and takes him to some nearby water while the Professor sends the virtual image of a talking St. Bernard to where Jeb, and Ryan are just as Jeb is biting Ryan, and the virtual St. Bernard reminds Jeb of who he is but when he turns on Toxoid Toxoid sprays Jeb with some acid foam.

Kaitlin, and JB destroy the chemical plant that made the mutagen, and Ryan takes Jeb who’s returned to normal back to the lab to save him from the acid foam while Grimlord once again swears vengeance.
Then there’s one more scene at the animal shelter where the Mayor gives a speech while we get one last comedy bit where Jeb steals Mrs. Rooney’s purse, and tricks her into getting locked in a cage.

Anyway “I miss you dad” the end.

Final Thoughts

Well this was another one of those episodes that wasn’t as good as a lot of previous episodes but wasn’t as bad since it was pretty much like the last episode but with Jeb instead of the other Troopers except this time he was the actual MOTD instead of just under it’s control.

I did like Jeb’s mutant form as well.

And I can’t think of anything that really got skipped from the Metalder episode other than some parts where the Japanese version of mutant Jeb fought Metalder’s human form which they obviously couldn’t use, and brief part where the bad guys turned a cat into a mutant but it got destroyed as soon as it was created so it’s not like it got a fight or anything.

One thing I did notice is how like The Dognapping was to it’s Metalder episode, and Virtual V6 was to it’s Spielban episode this episode is surprisingly similar to it’s source footage episode with the only real difference was that the bad guys used the machine that became a teleporter here, and the monster was a different dog than Jeb’s Japanese counterpart.

Tune in next time everyone for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.

Zabitan 02/04/15 09:10 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Save The Trees written by J.K. Richards, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him about the importance of trees, and nature.

Then we see the Troopers biking through the woods while this weird slo mo effect that looks like it came from some 80’s music video (I seriously for a sec thought maybe Netflix wasn’t working when I watched it) plays, and then Ryan tries to sneak in another “My dad used to” moment.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor is bullying Mayor Rooney into letting him clear out the old growth forest, and at first Rooney tries to argue that he can’t do that but then Ziktor threatens him, and he leaves.

Then Ziktor transforms into Grimlord, and we find out from Decimator who’s looking at a clear plastic map that no surprise they need to destroy Crossworld forest because it’s the reality barrier is weakest there.

Later at the Underground Voice Daily Woody explains to the Troopers what’s going on, and Percy explains why so the Troopers themselves decide to confront Ziktor personally, and the weird thing is when they confront him he actually tries to pretend to be nice to them, and even crazier still the Troopers believe him.

Anyway later at Tao dojo Ryan, and JB are practicing, and Kaitlin finally remembers that they don’t trust Ziktor so they go back to the forest to see for themselves what’s going on, and so Kaitlin can take pictures but Ziktor watches them, and after a brief comedy bit from Jeb a bunch of random hikers show up, and turn into Skugs.

First the Troopers hit the Skugs with their bikes as they all dismount then the Skugs jump at the Troopers then JB, and a Skug kick each other then Ryan tries to karate chop a Skug but gets punched instead, and Kaitlin kicks, and punches one.

Then JB kicks, and punches his Skug, Ryan also punches, and kicks his Skug, and Kaitlin flips hers over then JB, and Ryan do the same then finally the Troopers with Jeb’s help kick the Skugs into each other destroying them.

Then the Troopers go back to the Underground Voice Daily where there’s a comedy bit with Percy getting his tie stuck in the copier, and Woody trying to get him out while the Troopers decide to go to the lab, and see if the Professor has a solution while Jeb complains about fleas.

At the lab the Troopers ask the Professor for help, and he mentions that Ryan’s father was interested in the forest, and has files on it but nothing that can help then Jeb mentions his fleas, and the Professor knows that he’s talking about blue fleas, which JB points out is an endangered species which could get the forest protected by the government so JB puts one of Jeb’s fleas into the Lab’s scanner, and it proves to be a blue flea.

Then just as a lumberjack has his chainsaw revved up the Troopers show up with a paper, and a sign labeling the forest a protected reserve but Ziktor is undaunted, and transforms into Grimlord, and asks for a mutant who can destroy the forest, and Decimator recommends a black, and white mutant with a weird brown face named Chainbot while Grimlord also orders Ivar to assist with his tank as well.

While at the lab Ryan in Trooper mode experiments with a new machine called the image multiplier that enables him to turn into three Ryan’s at once, and after Ryan turns back into Brad Hawkins the Professor asks for some more blue flea samples but Jeb doesn’t want to volunteer so it’s back to the forest but when they get their they hear noises, and split up to investigate, and Ryan runs into Chainbot, and transforms.

Chainbot tries to attack Ryan with a spiked ball, and chain but Ryan dodges it so Chainbot summons some mutant Skugs but Ryan fights them off but then gets attacked by Chainbot but then is able to handle Chainbot, and the mutant Skugs at once.

Meanwhile Kaitilin, and JB find the rest of Grimlord’s army trying to clear through the forest so they transform as well, and we get to see some cool American footage of JB using the Vortex command, and then we get a part where it looks like JB, and Kaitlin are going to fight Ivar but he instead sends Skugs after them.

Ryan is being pushed to the edge of a seaside cliff, and Chainbot hits him of with his spiked ball but Ryan summons the VR Turbo Cycle then jumps off, and uses the image multiplier to become four Ryan’s at once so Chainbot pulls out a sword, and slashes at the multiple Ryan’s but because their holograms it can’t hit them then Ryan kicks Chainbot’s sword out of his hands then Ryan jumps around, and hits Chainbot with a backwards kick.

Meanwhile Kaitlin is fighting off Skugs while JB fights Ivar with his sword but Ivar keeps slashing at him but JB, and Kaitlin team up, and use their lasers to blow up Ivar but he escapes in a flying turtle shaped airship, and Grimlord once again shames his minions for failure.

Later at the Underground Voice Daily Woody congratulates Kaitlin on her story about the forest, and the Troopers in general for saving it, and then we get one last comedy bit where Jeb’s fleas have now moved to Percy.

Final Thoughts

Honestly I just wasn’t really feeling this episode mostly because a lot of it felt like a mishmash of various parts from earlier episodes.

I thought the parts where Ziktor tried to pretend to be nice, and the Troopers believed him was all right I wouldn’t have cared if he was like that all the time but up until this point he’s been open about his assholeness, and only gotten away with anything by bullying the Mayor which he still does.

Another problem that it reminds me of that I should talk about if I haven’t already have is how in Metalder a lot of the bad guys that Metalder spared would later show up as good guys either making it out okay or getting destroyed by their former allies.

Well the reason I bring this up is because in the Metalder episode this was based on the Japanese version of Hammerbot returned as a good guy to help Metalder fight Chainbot.

It makes me whish they swapped out Hammerbot in Grimlord’s Challenge for another Metalder monster, and combined this episode with say another episode with a give a hoot don’t pollute episode that maybe either didn’t have a Metalder monster or had one that could easily swapped out as way to justify having Hammerbot switch sides.

It also bugged me that they didn’t even show Ryan actually destroying Chainbot even when the footage was perfectly usable.

I did like the fight with Ivar though it made me think that maybe one alternative to using a Metalder monster, and a Spielban monster in the same episode was maybe having it where when the monster is from Metalder JB fights Ivar or Icebot but if it’s a Spielban monster Ryan fights Decimator, Zelton, or Toxoid but then you would probably have to recycle more footage that way.

Zabitan 02/06/15 04:27 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at A Dirty Trick written by Robert Hughes, and directed by John Grant Weil.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him about the power of illusion, and to always have a trick up your own sleeve.

Then we see the Troopers handing fliers to announce a party at the dojo to celebrate the 10 year anniversary, and Ziktor once again reads from the Power Rangers villain playbook, and is inspired to transform into Grimlord, and announce his plan to use the party as a way to steal the Troopers' virtualizers.

Later at the party after a comedy bit with the mayor, and his wife Kaitlin shows up to congratulate Tao for receiving a citation of honor from the mayor.

Then she sees Ryan, and JB hitting on some girls, and then we get a comedy bit with Jen drinking from the punch bowl then the mayor gives Tao a plauqe.

Then a magician carrying a briefcase that says Lex the Magnificent shows up, and he performs various magic tricks for the audience.

Then he requests audience volunteers, and picks Kaitlin, and JB who are glad to be chosen then he covers them with his cape, takes their virtualisers, and disappears.

Kaitlin, and JB then chase off after the magician, and Ryan follows them, and eventually the Troopers get to an alley with three garbage men who turn out to be Skugs, and not only that but the magician has escaped to the roof of a nearby building, and Ryan transforms to go after the magician who turns out to be a virtual mutant.

Ryan tries to jump kick The Magician but he disappears with his cape while Kaitlin punches two a Skug, and JB kicks the others.

Then Kaitlin kicks her Skug while JB gets kicked by his Skugs, Kaitlin's Skug tries to strangle her so she fights it off.

While The Magician banishes Ryan to another dimension where The Magician throws a giant playing card at him but Ryan dodges it only to get hit by explosions.

Then JB kicks his Skugs who then try to grab him but gets out, and throws them on the ground while Kaitlin throws her Skug away into JB's Skugs destroying them.

Ryan doesn't have as much luck since when he tries to go after The Magician The Magician simply once again disappears sending Ryan off the building.

Then a Battle Grid alert breaks out, and despite not having their virtualizers Kaitlin, and JB are still able to transform into Battle Grid mode to join Ryan.

Not only that but instead of all three Troopers landing at same, and talking about what's going on we get the Troopers landing one at a time from JB, Ryan, and finally Kaitlin without dialogue, and when they do the V, R, Troopers thing we see the full suits instead of just the helmets.

Then we get some recycled Kaitlin's Front Page footage mixed with new stuff for Kaitlin, then Ryan punches some Skugs, and JB kicks some more.

Then some recycled footage from the Dognapping in reverse, then JB kicks a Skug, and puts it in a choke hold, then some recycled Virtual Spy footage followed by some new stuff where Kaitlin jumps then lands, and kicks a Skug, grabs another

Then some recycled Searching for Tyler Steele stuff, then Kaitlin kicks a Skug, and Ryan flips another over then JB, and Kaitlin kick some more Skugs, JB knocks some Skugs into each other, and then finally we get some recycled Searching for Tyler Steele footage of Kaitlin destroying the last of the Skugs, and then the Troopers return to reality.

Zabitan 02/06/15 04:28 PM

At the Lab Kaitlin explains what happened, and the Professor makes them all put on the visors to show them some Metalder footage to explain what we already know that if they can't get back the stolen virtualizers there's no way to stop the virtual army.

So Ryan comes up with a plan where Kaitlin, and JB take her car to scan for The Magician, when they find him Ryan will transform, and get back their virtualizers while at the virtual dungeon Grimlord orders Icebot to steal Ryan's virtualizer when he tries to take back the others.

Kaitlin, and JB fly around in Kaitlin's car but can't find The Magician so the Professor tells them check sector Q4 but still don't find anything so JB uses the image enhancer, and finds him, Ryan transforms to battle The Magician.

The Magician makes swords rain down that turn into a cage, and trap Ryan so that the Gunbots can blow him up but Ryan drills his way through the dirt, and escapes so The Magician makes a rose appear that can create windstorms, and explosions, then turns into a wand that can shoot flames.

Meanwhile Air Striker, and Fighterbot attack Kaitlin's car so Kaitlin tries to escape but then they get attacked by the Gunbots, and when they escape the Gunbots are attacked by the Airbots again.

Meanwhile The Magician throws a spear at Ryan who catches it, and tries to attack The Magician with it but The Magician keeps disappearing, and using illusions, and kicks Ryan.

Meanwhile Air Striker, and Fighterbot are still attacking Kaitlin's car so Kaitlin rams her car into Air Striker which knocks him into Fighterbot, and destroys them.

Meanwhile Ryan uses his scanner to find The Magician, and throws the spear at him, but The Magician catches it, and hits Ryan with it but Ryan then grabs it, and throws The Magician then punches The Magician before finally finishing off with Lighting Hand.

When JB, and Kaitlin show up Ryan shows them their Virtualizers but Grimlord remains undaunted, and orders Ivar to destroy the Troopers in his tank but JB transforms, and uses the Battle Cruiser to knock it off a cliff, and Grimlord once again chastises his minions.

Later at the lab Kaitlin does a magic trick, JB makes a cheeseburger with the lab's machines, and we get on last comedy bit with Jeb eating the burger.

Zabitan 02/06/15 04:30 PM

Final Thoughts

Honestly I really liked today's episode.

In fact I think it, ranks right up there with Searching for Tyler Steele, Error in The System, Grimlord's Challenge, Virtual V6, and No One's Friend in terms of favorite episodes so far at least from production standpoints

It had a simple but neat premise with Grimlord stealing JB, and Kaitlin's virtualizers.

Also I can't really think of anything that was really skipped from the Metalder episode.

I liked the Battle Grid segment in fact I think it's probably my favorite one.

Oddly enough my only problem with it is that the Battle Grid segment didn't make much sense other than to give Kaitlin some transformed fighting.

And even then I would either simply replace it with a Battle Grid segment with just Ryan, put this episode's Battle Grid segment in another episode, and replace the part where Kaitlin fights Air Striker, and Fighterbot in her car with one where she fights Air Fighters, and Quantum Cruisers in the Skybase.

Or Alternatively keep it but separate the Skug battle from Ryan's first fight with The Magician, and have it where the magician for the party is a real guy that Grimlord has his Skugs kidnap, and the Troopers have to rescue him.

And the Skug battle, and Battle Grid segment happen before the first fight with The Magician.

Oddly enough this the last time we'll see all three Troopers together in Battle Grid mode this season, and the last time we'll see Kaitlin in Battle Grid mode this season unless you count a blink, and you'll miss it bit in Who's King of the Mountain?

Zabitan 02/07/15 04:04 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at My Dog's Girlfriend written by Margo McMahon, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad told him told him that love will always find a way.

Then we see the Troopers on roller skates looking for Jeb who's looking a little boy playing with a girl dog, and her puppies, and the little boy named Timmy let's Jeb, and the Troopers play with the girl dog who's named Princess, and has won a dog show but Timmy's mother doesn't approve of Princess, and Jeb's relationship.

Meanwhile Grimlord is still reading the Power Rangers villain playbook since he comes up with a plan to use Princess' puppies as bait to destroy the Troopers so he transforms into Grimlord, and summons Ivar, and Icebot who have finished a new robot called the Trooper Terminator that looks like an evil version of Johnny Five from the Short Circuit movies.

Meanwhile at Tao dojo the Troopers are trying to cheer Jeb up by singing the Doggy Rap from Kaitlin's Front Page but Tao comes in, and tells them to stop so they just hug Jeb instead.

Back at the virtual dungeon Grimlord requests a field test of the Trooper Terminator so the Gunbots, and Airbots fire at the Trooper Terminator but it dodges their attacks, and destroys them with its own attacks.

Meanwhile at the Underground Voice Daily Kaitlin, and Jeb see Timmy, and his mother with Princess and her puppies, and Woody comes to tell her he wants Kaitlin, and Percy to do a story about Princess

Then Jeb, Princess, and the puppies try to run off, and Timmy's mom, and some reporters get the puppies, and Woody, Kaitlin, and Timmy find Jeb, and Princess in a closet.

Then at the virtual dungeon the Trooper Terminator is practicing on some targets of the Troopers, and Grimlord is pleased so he orders his minions to kidnap Princess' puppies.

When Jeb, and Kaitlin go to see the puppies when a creepy looking dog catcher guy shows up to take the puppies, and Jeb, and transforms into some Skugs.

While Kaitlin fights off two of them by kicking, and dodging them the third steals the puppies, and then Kaitlin tricks the Skugs into destroying each other, and gets Jeb out of the net.