Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=9126)

PRangerX 02/21/21 01:20 PM

Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending?

https://screenrant.com/power-rangers...d-partnership/

This isn't new news of course as its been discussed for month elsewhere. But we don't have a thread for it here.

The talk is that Hasbro is ending its association with Toei and Dino Fury will be the last adaptian of Sentai. And could even be the last live action Power Rangers. It seems they are focusing on the movies. But all this isn't confirmed. I've seen other placed talk about a possible animated series.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...gers-animated/

Captain Codfish 02/21/21 01:25 PM

Re: Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending?

It would be a shame to see live action end after all these years. But I don't see how they could continue the series if they really do part with Toei. Doing animated series and movies makes the most sense. It wou!d be better if live action continued as is. But if they really are ending the Sentai adaptian its hard to see it continue.

Goldar's Revenge 02/21/21 01:28 PM

The status quo greatly changed once Hasbro bought the franchise. I suppose its not surprising when you think about all the changes Hasbro has made. Power Rangers changing toylines was a big deal. Bandai and Toei are tight. I wonder if that plays a factor?

But it could just be that the cost of adapting Sentai isn't worth it to them...Disney tried to do something like this before they pit the brand on ice. In this case I would assumr Hasbro does produce Power Rangers cartoons and tries to start a movie franchise. They probably figure they can sell just as many toys without the hassle of live action tv.

Ranger Charger 02/21/21 01:29 PM

Its also not impossible live action doesn't come back someday. We saw Power Rangers cancelled for a season before.

VR Master 02/21/21 01:31 PM

But it sounds like Hasbro is going to keep the brand alive rathsr then sit on it like Disney. I doubt Saban buys the series back again to change course.

Usagi Reborn 02/21/21 01:33 PM

Well Disney did do MMPR remastered...But Hasbro's rumored plans feel a lot more ambtious. Lets jot forget the comics. The Power Rangers brand will be active in movies, comics, and quite possibly anination. I do agree it would be a shame to see the end of live action TV.

Miki1988 02/21/21 03:26 PM

Hasbro bought Power Rangers from Saban for a ton of money. They've got to make it happen for them and that's getting their money back AND making some in addition to it.

I don't think Hasbro is going to cancel the live-action show. It's just that they don't think that Sentai adaptations aren't financially plausable anymore for many reasons. Besides, Toei has been making Sentai more Japanese culture-cenrtic in the recent seasons, so there's not many Sentai seasons to adopt anything from. From one side, we do have a one season per two years deal going on and that's 20 episodes a season which means we get to see the same team having their adventures for 2 seasons/years. That's what is giving the Toei people time to make an adaptable Sentai season, but that's not necessarily what happens. Second, even in Sentai with all the experimenting Toei has done in some of the recent seasons, it still ends up in more of the same.

It's understandable that Hasbro wants to move on from the current format and make the Power Rangers franchise more mainstream. They know that adapting Sentai stuff is not going to get them there. So parting with Toei and start doing original designs might actually end up saving & expanding the franchise further.

I doubt that they will give up on the live-action series. I think they are still going to do it, it's just going to be done without the Sentai stuff. Based on what I've read on other boards, Hasbro still wants to do the live-action show for teenagers/adults in addition to the animated TV show for kids. Dino Fury might just be the last entry to the Power Rangers franchise from the current multi-cannon, but it certainly isn't going to be the final entry to it.

That is a good buisness idea/plan/model and the potential for Hasbro to make the franchise expansion that PR really needs and a chance to target two target audiences while making their money back and making a buck in the process. Besides, they want to try and establish Power Rangers as a movie franchise and an original TV series might just get them to doing so, while the animated series might just be something on the side that makes enough additional money to keep things going forward until the movie portion of the franchise isn't properly established. Which seems to be Hasbro's goal and endgame.

PRangerX 02/21/21 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 79923)
Hasbro bought Power Rangers from Saban for a ton of money. They've got to make it happen for them and that's getting their money back AND making some in addition to it.

I don't think Hasbro is going to cancel the live-action show. It's just that they don't think that Sentai adaptations aren't financially plausable anymore for many reasons. Besides, Toei has been making Sentai more Japanese culture-cenrtic in the recent seasons, so there's not many Sentai seasons to adopt anything from. From one side, we do have a one season per two years deal going on and that's 20 episodes a season which means we get to see the same team having their adventures for 2 seasons/years. That's what is giving the Toei people time to make an adaptable Sentai season, but that's not necessarily what happens. Second, even in Sentai with all the experimenting Toei has done in some of the recent seasons, it still ends up in more of the same.

It's understandable that Hasbro wants to move on from the current format and make the Power Rangers franchise more mainstream. They know that adapting Sentai stuff is not going to get them there. So parting with Toei and start doing original designs might actually end up saving & expanding the franchise further.

I doubt that they will give up on the live-action series. I think they are still going to do it, it's just going to be done without the Sentai stuff. Based on what I've read on other boards, Hasbro still wants to do the live-action show for teenagers/adults in addition to the animated TV show for kids. Dino Fury might just be the last entry to the Power Rangers franchise from the current multi-cannon, but it certainly isn't going to be the final entry to it.

That is a good buisness idea/plan/model and the potential for Hasbro to make the franchise expansion that PR really needs and a chance to target two target audiences while making their money back and making a buck in the process. Besides, they want to try and establish Power Rangers as a movie franchise and an original TV series might just get them to doing so, while the animated series might just be something on the side that makes enough additional money to keep things going forward until the movie portion of the franchise isn't properly established. Which seems to be Hasbro's goal and endgame.

Doing the live action series without Senta would be costly. Unless a streaming service is willing to pay them big mony to produce a live action series for older fans?

I can see where Hasbro might feel its less expensive just to produce an animated series to sell the toys. And they can still persue the planned movie franchise.

Goldar Supreme 02/21/21 04:28 PM

Disney actually wanted to go on without live action but they couldn't do an animated series without Toei. I guess circumstances may be different this time.

Jen's Revenge 02/21/21 04:31 PM

Unfortunately, producing live action from Sentai is probably outdated and no longer seen as necessary. It. They can sell just as many toys with cartoons, comics, and movies. Big companies aren't going to have the same affinity for classic pr production as Saban.

Time Force Traitor 02/21/21 04:33 PM

But we still don't know the whole story here. I am not saying there is something to all this talk. But I think
there might be more to this then we know now.

MMPR Forever 02/21/21 04:35 PM

Hasbro zhould just produce more seasons of Mighty Morphing Power Ranngers.

Disney Princess 02/21/21 07:18 PM

Hasbro should sell to Disney. Power Rangers can move to Disney Plus.

Goldar Supreme 02/21/21 07:20 PM

Even if Disney wanted the franchise back ( which is unlikely),..Why would Hasbro want to give up the ip? They are a toy company and get to own the whole franchise.

Maligore 02/21/21 07:21 PM

Hasbro will produce there own completely original PR series. They aren't afraid to spend the big bucks. as Beast Morphers showed.

No Green Spandex 02/21/21 07:52 PM

It looks like PR might be ending as we know it.

Sailor Saban 02/23/21 04:59 PM

Saban won't let this happen.

PRangerX 02/23/21 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Saban (Post 79989)
Saban won't let this happen.

Saban gave up control when he sold the franchise. It was part of his retirement plan. He wanted a lesser schedule.So selling the brand to Hasbro made sense.

I do think Hasbro will remain invested in the brand. Its likely that we will get something animated if live action ends. I would hate to see live action end but I could see where Hasbro would find this not cost effective. They could sell just as many toys with movies and cartoons. Hopefully live action is saved somehow. But we don't know anything for sure yet.

Captain Codfish 02/23/21 05:20 PM

PR has been in this situation a few times. So its not impossible to think it finds a way to survive. I am sure the brand will. Less sure about the current series, but it isn't over until its over.

Captain Logan Knows Best 02/23/21 05:21 PM

If cost is part of this, then why did Hasbro spend so much on Beast Morphers? All that original footage couldn't have been cheap?

Mondo Machina 02/23/21 05:27 PM

I don't think continuing the franchise as a cartoon and movies only will work as easily as they think. TV has always the primary driver of the franchise. I think its a mistake to get rid of the show.

Piccolo's Legacy 02/25/21 03:08 PM

It would be a shame if the show is cancelled now that its been getting good again.

MegaDinoPower 02/25/21 03:13 PM

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of the live action series. You can do other side things but the show has always been the backbone of the franchise.

Ranger Storm 02/25/21 03:16 PM

I wish they woukd bring Doug and Ann back the revitialize the series. Hasbro should give them a call and see if they would at least like to consult.

MegaDinoPower 03/01/21 10:42 AM

Like I said...I think this is a bad idea. They should keep the show going as it is.

Danny Zeo 03/01/21 06:17 PM

I don't know..Sounds like a bad idea for me. I get doing side things to grow the brand. But PR has always revovled around adapted Super Sentai. They really should work out a new deal with Toei that addresses there concerns.

Goldar's Revenge 03/01/21 06:17 PM

For all we know they tried and couldn't come to a deal. I am sure this isn't a decision they made lightly without a lot of thought.

Maligore 03/01/21 06:19 PM

Hasbro isn't cheap...Whatever they do will work out I think.

Saban Fan 03/01/21 06:21 PM

I knew Saban selling would be bad for PR. The only reason Beast Morphers was decent was because Saban was a consultant.

MattEmily 07/05/21 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saban Fan (Post 80137)
I knew Saban selling would be bad for PR. The only reason Beast Morphers was decent was because Saban was a consultant.

Please. Saban isn't some amazing person, he was just there to pay the bills for when he did that and if they needed any help.
He's not the reason why Beast Morphers is so great, the reason is because Hasbro allowed them to do whatever the writing crew wanted and also was very willing to spend the money to accomplish that.
Let's not forget that they had to pay to recreate all of the various Go-busters suits that they had used.

Also they are likely trying to distance themselves away from Saban after the allegations that VR Troopers' Sarah Brown had made against his former partner; Shuki Levy if Saban was so God-like then he would've done something about his company's poor treatment of their employees. It reflects bad on him as a person after David Yost came out about the harassment he got from crew members due to being into other men and Sarah alleging that Shuki sexually assaulted her since how your employees act and how you handle it is a reflection of your own behavior.

Miki1988 07/08/21 10:00 AM

As I've said on another board: Power Rangers in an IP (Intellectual Property) and Toei owns half of it. If Sentai adaptations aren't bringing in enough cash to keep the franchise going, then it's time to go big, try something new & original in order to maintain development and expansion of the Power Rangers franchise.

If Hasbro wants to produce an original kids TV series, an adult TV series, an animated series, feature movies or anything else, they are not limited to having to use the Sentai footage. If original suit/prop/set designs come to mind, they still have to consult with Toei to get their approval in order to film anything. Hasbro isn't even limited to use just Toei's designs. They can/have to even ask Toei to co-produce a Power Rangers-related project. But using Sentai footage is clearly outdated, nothing has changed about it in the past 28 years, plus there are rules and factors on how many years Hasbro can wait to adapt a certain Sentai season since the suits, props etc. don't last forever and I believe that there's a time span for certain Sentai footage in which it can be used for a PR adaptation.

Power Rangers has always aried on TV. Now it basically became a Netflix exclusive. That's like the last stop the TV series in its current format can make since it did change channels a lot since it began, which can also be a sign that the current format needs to go away if the franchise is to be kept alive, regularly develpped and its presence maintained.

I don't like the idea of Sentai adaptations ending, but if that's what it takes to save it from complete fail, I fully support the idea.

JungleFury Cat 07/10/21 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 80582)
Now it basically became a Netflix exclusive.

Does that mean they are not going to air the rest of Dino Fury on Nickelodeon during the fall?
I doubt I'll ever have a streaming service. I'm thankful I got see it this far, but I guess there's still hope that it will be on TV.

I don't think I would be interested in movies. The language in the last one ruined it for me; Power Rangers had never been like that.

MattEmily 07/11/21 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleFury Cat (Post 80583)
Does that mean they are not going to air the rest of Dino Fury on Nickelodeon during the fall?
I doubt I'll ever have a streaming service. I'm thankful I got see it this far, but I guess there's still hope that it will be on TV.

I don't think I would be interested in movies. The language in the last one ruined it for me; Power Rangers had never been like that.

they are still contracted to finish out the year with Nick so that's what they're going to do but after that? That's it

I don't mind language, my problem with the last movie was there just wasn't much Power Rangers

PRangerX 07/20/21 01:54 PM

The new movie will have a different vision from 2017 ...For better or worse. I still say they could have done a sequel that improved the suits/zords and had more action. They had a strong cast and good character.development set up with movie one. Starting over doesn't always mean more money. But its been so long and we have new owners/studio...So its inevitable at this point.

I think the world and circumstances has changed. PR has done an amazing job of surviving with the SantaI Adaptions long after most shows would have been discontinued or revamped. Its really amazing they have been able to go on this long. They even survived Disney's cancellation. Which should have put the live sentai adaptions on pause for at least a few years. We only lost one year with a bad MMPE re-edit.

Neo Saban tried to ecapture the magic of PR and keep the adaptiona going while gowing the bland. Things really didn't make turn out the way they wanted. Now that Hasbro is in charge they want to think outside the box to grow the brand.