Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Jetting (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8500)

butterflyboy 05/12/15 04:14 PM

Jetting

What did you all think about the not oft-used transport mode called "Jetting"?

It seemed weird and somewhat pointless to me. I'm left wondering what the point was, unless it was made up solely to further pad out the Ninja Encounter three-parter. But it didn't even do that very well. Did the writer's have some other ideas in mind for it?

I think they used it arbitrarily in one other episode before it faded into MMPR obscurity.

What are ya'll's thoughts?

Ankh Primo 05/12/15 04:14 PM

Re: Jetting

I haven't yet been in one discussion about this subject where a single person has any insight into why the practice was ever implemented. Or even one where a single person enjoyed seeing it.

It was just bizarre.

butterflyboy 05/12/15 04:14 PM

Indeed.

Maybe it was one of those things that sounded better on paper than it actually turned out?

It literally made no sense. When it was introduced, Alpha stated that the advantage of it was that it allowed them to see exactly where they were going. Problem is, until then we didn't know that they couldn't do this while teleporting. Disregarding the fact that we saw them hold a full conversation while teleporting in "Teamwork" (indicating that they remain in a conscious state), in almost every episode they would just morph directly to the danger anyhow.

The only time it made a semblance of sense was in "Forever Friends" when it gives Bulk and Skull the idea to chase them in their own rocket packs.

I guess its important to remember that this was during a really tumultuous time of MMPR's production and maybe the writers were just flyin' by the seat of their pants to get shows produced.

Titanium321 05/12/15 04:14 PM

They thought it would be interesting and that they could sell toys with it. Can't sell a teleporting toy, but one that just flies around? Any toy can Jet.

WhiteMystechRanger 05/12/15 04:14 PM

I had to rewatch that. Wow. Jetting looked far slower than the instantaneous teleportation (though there are times we see them as coloured blobs flying around. But even then it was blatantly faster than Jetting.

Silver_Tiger 05/12/15 04:14 PM

I think Alpha may have worded it wrong, Direct site to site teleportation is programed in, thus can not be changed during mid sequence. as with Jetting the rangers were not on a static path and could move freely in 3 dimensional space. At least that's the way I view it

Zabitan 05/12/15 04:14 PM

Eh I wouldn't have thought it was so dumb if they didn't already have teleportation or the Radbug.

mjohnson1989 05/12/15 04:14 PM

I've always wondered what happened to the Radbug

On the topic, I don't know why they bothered to use Jetting given that IIRC they only used it twice

Ankh Primo 05/12/15 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanium321 (Post 72421)
They thought it would be interesting and that they could sell toys with it. Can't sell a teleporting toy, but one that just flies around? Any toy can Jet.

But did they sell a Jetting toy? I'm not well-versed in the merchandise.

They could just as easily put a helmet on a red lightning bolt and call it a teleporting Red Ranger. I don't see why adding a concept to the show was necessary.

Martyn 05/12/15 04:14 PM

It worked for the reason it was introduced, fill time and have the three suits for the actors they were missing do it helped well. In the long run yes it is pointless but it fixed a production problem at the time, of missing half the cast.