Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Zabitan's Forum (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=4725)

Zabitan 02/11/15 10:47 PM

Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

Final Thoughts

Today's episode was pretty good I actually liked the idea of Grimlord using Kaitlin's own fears against her.

I'm kind of tempted to think that since all of Kaitlin's nightmares are about her, and her friends being ambushed by Skugs maybe it was a reference to Kaitlin's Front Page since that episode had her get defeated by Skugs, and she, and her friends were almost blown up because of it .

I did like the part in her first nightmare where everyone including Ryan, JB, and Percy turned out to be Skugs since that probably would be freaky to find out everyone you knew was a mutant robot from cyberspace.

I do wish that they used actual clips of Kaitlin being attacked from Grimlord's mutants in the nightmare at the lab, and actually helping JB fight them when the Professor restores her confidence.

Though I also blame Spielban for that since it's not like Diana Lady ever actually destroyed any monsters.

I'll also add that nothing from the Metalder episode or Spielban episode was skipped save for a Skug battle that was already used in Digging for Fire.

Tune in next time everyone for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.

Zabitan 02/12/15 08:52 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Grimlord's Greatest Hits written by Gil Rozencratz, Douglas Sloan, and directed by John Grant Weil

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about music, and how it's the universal language.

Then at Tao dojo Ryan, and JB practice with bo staffs in front of some teenage students then after the class JB notices a boy named Brandon who seems out of it.

Tao explains that Brandon is a talented musician, and got accepted to a prestigious school but his parents can't afford it so the Troopers decide to hold a dance a thon to raise money for Brandon to go to music school.

At Ziktor industries Ziktor is once again reading from the Power Rangers villain playbook, and after reading Kaitlin's article about the dance a thon decides to transform into Grimlord, and summons Icebot.

They both explain Grimlord's latest plan to use hypnotic music to control the minds of everyone in Crossworld City, and there's a funny bit when Grimlord says they'll probably won't tell the difference between when everyone is brainwashed or not.

Later at Tao dojo the dance a thon is underway, and JB break dances while Brandon plays saxophone, then there's a comedy bit where Percy hits on two random women, and one of them dances with Percy while the other messes with the jukebox.

When JB, and Brandon leave to get more party food she puts a cd labeled Grimlord's Greatest Hits (We have a title people), and weird music plays which hypnotized everyone but the two women who are really Skugs.

At the virtual dungeon Toxoid informs Grimlord that JB, and Brandon aren't hypnotized, and Grimlord orders them to capture Brandon to lure JB into a trap to destroy him then we see JB, and Brandon with some food talking about what music Brandon should play, they see band, and follow it but the band members turn out to be Skugs.

First JB fights the Skugs by throwing pizzas at them (not joking) while one kidnaps Brandon so one of the Skugs uses a guitar it's still holding as a weapon but JB grabs it, and uses the Skugs own guitar against it (again not joking).

Then they just kick him but he kicks back, and throws them, and then the third Skug comes back to see what's going on, and JB just pick it up, and throws it at the others destroying them.

JB then realizes that Brandon's been kidnapped, and goes back to Tao dojo to see everyone hypnotized by Grimlord's music which for some reason isn't affecting JB.

So he asks Jeb who's been wearing headphones what's going on, and Jen explains what happened, and JB finds Grimlord's cd, and takes it, and the other Troopers to the lab.

Zabitan 02/12/15 08:53 PM

At the lab JB explains everything to the Professor who has JB put Grimlord's cd into one of the lab's machines, and the Professor tells JB that only playing the CD backwards will reverse it's effects.

So JB puts visors on Ryan, and Kaitlin which play the song backwards and break the spell on them then JB explains what's going on, and the Professor tells them that Brandon is being held hostage in Grimlord's cd factory, and Grimlord has also sent his forces across the reality barrier so the Troopers transform.

The Troopers decide to split up with JB, and Kaitlin rescuing Brandon, and destroying Grimlord's cds while Ryan fights Grimlord's army in the Battle Cruiser.

JB, and Kaitlin arrive at Grimlord's factory and battle Skugs, and a weird mutant with a cd for an eye like a cyclops, and another for hand named Diskbot, and while JB battles Diskbot Kaitlin finds Brandon on her scanner.

Grimlord orders his mutants to activate the actor's self destruct mechanism while finds Brandon, and has the Professor neutralize Grimlord's force field, and Kaitlin rescues Brandon while Ryan fights Ivar, and his tanks, and pushes Ivar off a cliff.

JB continues fighting Diskbot, and escapes the building just before it blows up but Diskbot has survived so JB battles him some more while Ryan goes into the Skybase, and informs JB that Air Fighters are coming .

So JB uses Vortex Command to take the fight to virtual reality but the Air Fighters keep firing on him so Ryan shows up, and destroys the Air Fighters.

Diskbot then fires cds from his cd hand but JB blocks them with his sword so Diskbot instead uses his cd hand to blind JB with light but JB hits Diskbot with his sword but Diskbot hits back.

Then they attack each other at the same time, and JB grabs Diskbot by his cd hand with his sword, and throws Diskbot but then Diskbot throws JB thenhen JB tries to fire his laser but Diskbot blocks it with his cd hand, shoots JB's laser out of his hand, and fires cds, and shines light on JB

so JB decides finish off Diskbot with Laser Lance but Diskbot tries to fight back by firing cds but JB blocks them with his Laser Lance, and destroys Diskbot while Grimlord once again swears vengeance.

JB finds Brandon with Kaitlin still in Trooper mode, and they both just refer to her as a VR Trooper.

then at the party Ryan, and Kaitlin play the reversed cd, and return everyone to normal then Brandon shows up, and thanks everyone since thanks to the dance a thon he can now go to music school, then Jeb plays one last prank on Percy.

Anyway “I miss you dad" the end.

Zabitan 02/12/15 08:55 PM

Final Thoughts

Today's episode was pretty good I liked the plot of Grimlord trying to brainwash everyone with music.

I also liked Diskbot with his cd eye, and CD hand, and how he fired vids at his opponents, and how he fit the episode.

I also liked the sub plot of the Troopers raising money so Brandon could go to school since it reminded me of JB's sub plot of trying to the same which I'm surprised they didn't touch on considering it was pretty much a JB episode.

Also the only thing I can really think was taken out of the Spielban footage other than the Grand Nazca's robot form which we'll see in season two as the Troopertron

I think it's weird that Kaitlin keeps getting called just a VR Trooper since they have no special names in Trooper mode which makes me wish they at least call them VR Trooper 1, VR Trooper 2, and VR Trooper 3.

Zabitan 02/13/15 10:44 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at The Disappearance written by Robert Hughes and directed by John Grant Weil.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him that if you trust your instincts, and use everything you have you will succeed.

Then we see the Troopers at lake riding on jet skis, and when they're done they wonder where Jeb is, and Kaitlin lampshades that Grimlord's gone after him before so they look for him, and it turns out a little girl was giving him ice cream.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor is still reading the Power Rangers villain playbook since Jeb disappearing on the Troopers inspires him to transform into Grimlord, and summon Icebot, and the two explain Grimlord's plan to use an invisibility potion on Grimlord's mutants.

Later at Tao dojo Tao asks the Troopers what is a martial artists greatest weapon, and JB guesses speed, and Kaitlin guesses strength but they're both wrong, and only Ryan guesses that it's surprise.

Then Tao tells them that they're next lesson is to sneak up on him, and take a little red ribbon from him, and we see various comedic bits where the Troopers try to take the ribbon from Tao but he catches on.

Ryan tries to sneak up on Tao while he's drinking water, and Tao throws Ryan into a chair, and catches his glass before it breaks.

JB tries to use a bo staff to take the Ribbon while Tao is putting something up but Tao notices it, jumps, and takes the bo staff, uses it against JB.

and finally Kaitlin tries to sneak up on him while he's dusting but Tao notices, and backflips behind Kaitlin.

When the Troopers ask what Two's secret is he simply explains that he uses all five senses to be aware of his surroundings, and that they should do the same.

At the virtual dungeon Grimlord wants to test the invisibility potion, and Decimator volunteers but Grimlord says he's too valuable, and other mutants volunteer but Grimlord decides to test the potion on Jeb.

Back at Tao dojo Ryan, and JB are sparing then everyone decides to go out for a break, and the Troopers, and Tao talk about the lesson from earlier

While inside a gym bag, a punching bag, and a wooden frame turn into Skugs, and use a weird looking device that shoots red lasers that turn Jeb invisible.

Then we see a comedy bit where Jeb pulls various pranks on the Skugs like tripping them, pulling their capes over their faces, and throwing books at them.

Then Ryan decides to see what's wrong with Jeb, and sees the Skugs, and starts to fight them, first they kick him but blocks, and dodges, and kicks back, then he punches a Skug into a chair, and throws another underneath the desk, and finally Jeb pulls the rug out from underneath them making them touch each other, and disintegrate.

Ryan hears Jeb but can't see him so Jeb explains what's happening, and Ryan tries to find him when everyone else arrives, and Ryan tries to explain he's straightening up, and Jeb has disappeared again, and when Tao leaves Ryan explains what's going on.

Zabitan 02/13/15 10:45 PM

Then the Troopers take Jeb for a walk, and decide to go to the lab to see if Professor Hart can help but Percy sees them, and thinks Kaitlin is on to a big story.

But he doesn't notice for a whole minute that their carrying a dog leash without the dog, and even when Kaitlin tells the truth be doesn't believe it until Jeb bites his pants off.

While at the virtual dungeon Decimator informs Grimlord that the test was successful, and they're ready to use the invisibility potion on his mutants, while at the lab the Troopers explain what's happening so the Professor has them wear the visors so they can see Jeb, and that it will take him a while to make Jeb visible again.

But the Professor's more worried about Grimlord making his mutants invisible since the Troopers can't fight an enemy they can't see so the only solution is to make Jeb visible so they can reverse the process.

The Troopers then drive around in Kaitlin's car when they notice a reality break just ahead when they get there see a weird blue scorpion like mutant with three arms riding a motorcycle

The Troopers decide to chases after the mutant in Kaitlin's car's flight mode then land, and chase after it some more on the ground, and they have the Professor scan it.

The Professor identifies it as Spitbot a mutant with explosive saliva then Spitbot tries to ram Kaitlin's car so they stop get out the car, and transform.

Then Grimlord's air force appears so JB, and Kaitlin take them to virtual reality while Ryan fights Spitbot by punching him so Spitbot uses explosive saliva but Ryan dodges, and jump kicks Spitbot who tries to attack Ryan but Ryan dodges, and attacks Spitbot but Spitbot disappears.

Grimlord's air force is firing on JB, and Kaitlin so JB uses Techno Bazooka to destroy it but then the Skugs show up with bazookas of their own, and fire on JB, and Kaitlin while Grimlord's mutants make portals with guns attached appear, and the portals fire lasers at Ryan and Chrome Dome, and Minotaurbot fire lasers as well while JB, and Kaitlin fight Skugs.

Spitbot grabs Ryan with his tentacle then pulls Ryan in, and strangles him then Toxoid appears then Spitbot throws Ryan and Toxoid slashes Ryan with his claws.

Then Toxoid, and Spitbot disappear, then Toxoid reappears, and Ryan goes after Toxoid but something grabs his legs, and it's an invisible Spitbot who reappears, and trips Ryan, and grabs him so Toxoid can finish him off but Ryan kicks Toxoid, and destroys him.

JB destroys the Skugs with Laser Lance while Ryan tries to fight Spitbot who keeps disappearing so the Professor tells Ryan to use his scanner, and Ryan finds Spitbot then punches him wraps him with his own tentacle then kicks Spitbot, and destroys him, and Grimlord once again curses his robots' inability to destroy the Troopers.

Later at the lab the Troopers are setting things up, and the Professor tells them that he's ready to reverse Jeb's invisibility so the Troopers call Jeb over, and the Professor is only able to make Jeb's front half visible for now.

Anyway “I miss you dad" the end.

Zabitan 02/13/15 10:46 PM

Final Thoughts

Today's episode was pretty good I liked the plot with Grimlord making Jeb l, and his mutants invisible.

I also liked how there's been so many episodes about Jeb that even the Troopers themselves are acknowledging it in universe.

I also thought it had a lot of funny bits.

I also thought Spitbot was another cool monster especially with his third arm that's also a tentacle.

My only problems are that I wish Tao's message of trusting your instincts actually paid off during the battle like Ryan couldn't find Spitbot with his scanner so he remembered Tao's lesson, and figure out where Spitbot, and Toxoid really were.

I'm also reminded of The Great Brain Robbery where in this case I actually wish they left out the fight with Toxoid, and saved it for later episode as his actual finale.

Especially since they didn't use everything from the Metalder fight they used for that part anyway.

And with that we are pretty much halfway through season one.

Zabitan 02/17/15 04:36 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Secret Admirer written by JK Richards and directed by John Grant Weil.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how he always admired his father, and how everyone wants to be admired but what matters most is who's admiring.

Then we go to Tao dojo where Ryan, JB spar while Kaitlin's on a the bench doing something we can't see, and Tao comes in with flowers Kaitlin thanks Tao but he says it's not from him.

So she reads the note which says it's from a secret admirer (we have a title), and at first Kaitlin thinks Ryan, or JB sent them but neither of them confess to it but Kaitlin is just glad she got them.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries we see Ziktor talking to a delivery guy, and it turns out he sent the flowers as part of his latest evil scheme then he transforms into Grimlord, and summons Ivar, and Icebot who explain that the flowers they gave Kaitlin are the flowers of evil (not joking) that will destroy her.

Later at the Underground Voice Daily Kaitlin gets some more flowers, and she others still wonder who sent them then.

Percy shows up claiming he sent them but Kaitlin calls him out by shoving the flowers in his face, and making him sneeze, and Jeb trips him.

Ryan is worried about who's sending Kaitlin the flowers so he has JB come with him, and the two stakeout the Underground Voice Daily to see who's delivering the flowers.

After Ryan explains his reasons for being suspicious the two see another delivery, and even JB becomes suspicious so they both follow the delivery van to an empty warehouse where Ryan confronts the delivery men who turn out to be Skugs so he and JB fight them.

JB kicks a Skug while Ryan kicks one, and punches another, then JB, and a Skug fight each other with a flower pot while Ryan fights one with packaging, and decorations.

Then JB kicks a Skug unto some stairs while Ryan kicks one into a trash can, and the Skug he tied up earlier breaks free but Ryan just literally picks it up, and throws it in the trash with the other, and destroys them while finally the Skug JB threw on the stairs jumps back down but JB just kicks him into another, and destroys them.

Ryan, and JB realize what's going on, and try to warn Kaitlin but she's already got the next delivery, and Ryan, and JB are too late to stop her from smelling them, and she starts turning blue so they get her to the lab.

At the lab Kaitlin explains she's feeling tingly, JB explains what's happening, so the Professor has JB put the flowers in a machine so Jeb can smell them, the Professor identifies them as the flowers of evil but Kaitlin disappears into blue light.

Kaitlin then appears in a weird room surrounded by an electric field then Icebot appears, and explains their evil plan is to use her as bait for a flower like mutant called Pollenbot.

Zabitan 02/17/15 04:37 PM

At the lab JB explains they need a fresh example of the flower of evil to make an antidote, and the Professor explains that it grows only in the most dangerous section of the virtual grid so Ryan transforms, and goes after the flower while JB stays to get Kaitlin out of virtual reality.

Ryan then uses the VR Turbo Cycle to find the sector where the flower of evil grows but Toxoid, and two mutants who will later be known as Bugbot, and Wolfbot are waiting for him.

But Ryan spots them, and destroys Bugbot with a kick so Toxoid makes claws come out of his fingers, and makes red veins appear on his arms, and his eyes start glowing red, and he throws a rock to show how strong he is.

Ryan is undaunted however, and tries to use Lighting Hand but Toxoid disappears so he tries a kick but it doesn't phase Toxoid.

So Ryan tricks him into smelling some more flowers of evil by saying that they're the flowers of power, and it works.

Then after a brief bit with Kaitlin, and Icebot Toxoid then shoots lasers out of his eyes at Ryan, and breaths fire, and then tries to drown Ryan in a river but then he starts flashing, and his claws disappear, and Ryan pulls him under water, and destroys him with Lighting Hand.

Ryan returns to the lab with a flower, and JB puts it into a machine which turns it into some antidote so JB transforms to rescue Kaitlin while Ryan stays at the lab.

A weird flying squid like mutant tries attack JB but he disintegrates it with his ray gun but Ivar appears, and warns him that if he doesn't drop his ray gun Kaitlin will be crushed by the force field.

So JB drops ray gun, and Ivar picks it up, and is about to shoot JB when JB pulls out his sword, and knocks the gun out of Ivar's hand but Ivar makes Pollenbot appearappear who's really just a great big puffy cloud of fluff that tries to construct JB.

but he fights off Pollenbot, and destroys the force field, and gives Kaitlin the antidote returning her to reality.

Then JB fights Ivar, Pollenbot, and some Skugs in the real world but Quantum Cruisers, and Air Fighters appear so JB takes the fight to virtual reality.

Then JB uses Techno Bazooka to destroy the Quantum Cruisers, and Air Fighters, and fights Ivar but then Pollennbot appears but JB sucks it into his ray gun then fires Pollenbot back out at Ivar, and destroys Pollenbot with Laser Lance,and returns to the lab and Grimlord once again shames his mutants.

Later at the Underground Voice Daily Kaitlin is fed up with flowers for a while, and Percy shows up with a piece of meat for Kaitlin, and asks for help.

But she already has a story, and Percy wants it thinking it's good but it turns out to be about backed up sewers.

Anyway "I miss you dad" the end.

Zabitan 02/17/15 04:38 PM

Final Thoughts

Honestly this was just another episode I just was not feeling mostly because it ultimately ended up being another damsel in distress episode for Kaitlin.

Which once again wouldn't be much of an issue if Kaitlin's Japanese counterpart didn't transform in the Spielban episode but she did.

Speaking of which Pollenbot was just not a very good monster since on one hand I give it credit for being an unusual design it's also not what I would want to see in a flower based monster but that's more of a knock at Spielban.

I did like the fight between Ryan, and Toxoid as well as the one between JB, and Ivar but at the same time I do wish they not had been saved for their own episodes considering the episode Toxoid's fight was from was part of the same storyline from Metalder as the episode The Disappearance was based on.

While the Spielban episode for this one wasn't part of it The Great Brain Robbery was also part of a storyline that was the conclusion for Ivar's counterpart as well.

Another good thing I will say is that except for the the parts with Diana in armor nothing was really taken out from either the Spielban or Metalder episodes.