Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Did anyone think the Space Rangers were coming back for Lightspeed Rescue? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8970)

Super Cena 06/19/20 11:23 AM

Did anyone think the Space Rangers were coming back for Lightspeed Rescue?

Did anyone think the Space Rangers were going to be back for Lightspeed Rescue?Based on the first promo...

PRangerX 06/19/20 11:23 AM

Re: Did aypne thinj the Space Rangers were coming back for Lightspeed Rescue?

I know what you mean. At the timeI was thinking the Space Rangers were returning to Earth or perhaps even the LG Rangers. Since the promo showed the Megaship returning to Earth. Even though it was destroyed ( could have been a new one). But the later promos with LR footage made it clear it was its own thing. I actually unfairly held that against the season for a long while.

Captain Codfish 06/19/20 11:26 AM

Re: Did aypne thinj the Space Rangers were coming back for Lightspeed Rescue?

Yeah, I think a lot of people expected a follow up from Space or Galaxy..Or at least something similar. I think the high expectations made it hard for people to get into the season at first. I mean we went to epic space battles to an Earth based Rescue Series with no real connection to anything prior.

Sailor Zordon 06/19/20 11:27 AM

Re: Did anyone think the Space Rangers were coming back for Lightspeed Rescue?

It didn't help that they mostly used Sentai Footage for the villains.

VR Master 06/19/20 11:29 AM

The name Lightspeed also left hope that it would be another Space season or have relation to one.

Space Seasons 06/19/20 11:30 AM

Plus the space team mentioned some mission on Earth for why they couldn't
help the LG Rangers after Kendrix "died". So that made it seem possible LR would be about that. I was very disappointed of course.

Galaxy Supreme 06/19/20 11:31 AM

I knew that it likely was going to be an Earth based season. But I wasn't sure if they were keeping the same cast or starting over again.

Lightspeed Zeo 06/19/20 11:32 AM

I really loved Lightspeed.. It was the best season besides Zeo.

Titanium Black 06/19/20 11:33 AM

It was a good season. I just wish we got more Titanium Ranger.

Turbo Guy 06/19/20 11:35 AM

I was excited to see a car themed season. But was disappointed it wasn't a comedy like Turbo. It just wasn't whacky enough.

Goldar's Revenge 06/21/20 11:50 AM

Lightspeed got unfairly criticized at the time because it came after two really epic fan favorite seasons. They deliberately took a more simple approach to their formula and did a more mature version of MMPR. It turned a lot of people off who wanted more of the action adventure Space and Galaxy.

Space Crazy 06/21/20 12:14 PM

I was deffinitlly hoping we would see what Andros meant about being needed back on Earth during the LG Team Up. It had to be some new unspoken threat. Since otherwise they would have stayed to help the Galaxy Rangers. LR should have been the further adventures of the Space Rangers with new powers.

Maligore 06/21/20 12:15 PM

Saban was too cheap to do that. He would rather cheap out with GoGoV footage.

Titanium Ghost 06/21/20 12:16 PM

If the Space Team was to continue they would have kept them for Galaxy. I don't see them starting over and then bringing them back full time a year later.

Space Crazy 06/21/20 12:17 PM

They would have they realized it was a big mistake to get rid of the Space Team. The team up could have changed their minds. But sadly none of that happened.

Captain Codfish 06/21/20 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 78335)
Lightspeed got unfairly criticized at the time because it came after two really epic fan favorite seasons. They deliberately took a more simple approach to their formula and did a more mature version of MMPR. It turned a lot of people off who wanted more of the action adventure Space and Galaxy.

To be fair Galaxy had a lot of its detractors back in the day too. Perhaps not as much as Lightspeed had when it aired...Since there were plenty of people that loved Galaxy too.

PRangerX 06/21/20 12:20 PM

I know LG turned me off in the beginning due to the cast change and it took awhile to get into the new characters. By the time of the second half of the season I grew to love LG.

Goldar's Revenge 06/21/20 12:23 PM

Well the funny thing about LG is that its first half was very uneven and mostly boring. Its the second half that made people fall in love with the season. Since so much happens between the twists and turns with Trakeena, Mike's storyline as Megna Defender, The Space Team Up, The Lost Galaxy arch, and the epic finale. The first half mostly had that uneven Lights of Orion storyline that made no sense until the end.

The funny part is that the first half did great ratings and the second half is where the ratings sunk. Probably due to the heavy digimon hype that left no room for LG hype and people not liking the first half.

Sentai Master 06/21/20 12:24 PM

The fact that the ratings went down during the second half probably killed any chance of them not starting over with Lightspeed.

Captain Mutiny 06/21/20 12:26 PM

But I think Space and Galaxy both had the natural ends to their storylines. I don't see any continuation beyond team ups. Andros' line was just an excuse why they couldn't stay. Also originally Cassie was going to be LG Pink when Kendrix "died" but Patricia turned that down.

Ranger Eagle 06/21/20 12:27 PM

They were pretty committed to the Sentai approach of changing themes and casts every season by that point.

Goldar's Revenge 06/21/20 12:28 PM

The only time I have heard of them ever considering going back to continuing seasons was during Ninja Storm where Doug mentioned it was under consideration. But I don't know how serious that consideration ever was. And I don't think Disney was interested.

Maligore 06/21/20 12:29 PM

Of course not, they were cheap like Saban.

Lord Leo 06/21/20 01:09 PM

A lot of people disliked Lost Galaxy because of Lord Leo and their need to write him as the star of the show.

Haim Saban's Revenge 06/21/20 01:11 PM

I don't think Leo got overexposed. He was just the normal Red Ranger leadership type. Its not like they didn't give him character flaws to overcome. And Leo was always written as a great teammate.

Scorpina Returns 06/21/20 01:12 PM

He was intentionally written to be more immature, he was the leader that had to grow into the role. Kind of like Lion-El in Thundercats. I don't think he took too much focus away from the others. He just happened to be one of the more interesting characters.

Ranger Eagle 06/21/20 01:12 PM

I didn't mind Leo that much. The Red Rangers often get a lot of focus anyway. He is no different then a lot of the others.

Archie Kao Fan 06/21/20 01:14 PM

I always thought of Kai as the leader of the LG Rangers. He was the smartest one and often kept Leo in line. Especially in the early episodes.

Blue Ranger Gone Bad 06/21/20 01:15 PM

Blue Rangers tend to be the glue that keeps the teams together. And our often under appreciated. Behind every hot headed Red is a well centered Blue Ranger.

Uncle Steve 06/22/20 11:26 AM

The first teaser certainly did tease that, untentionally or intentionally. But by the time we got the full trailer, it was clear that things were going to be different.

Galaxy Max 06/22/20 08:55 PM

I figured it was just a bait and switch from the beginning.

Bones0123 06/24/20 08:56 AM

No, because the show had moved on to changing casts. I knew that they weren't bringing back an old cast. I knew the promo just meant that the next PR season would take place on Earth.

Bandora's Ghost 06/28/20 05:59 PM

I wasn't sure what to think. But I didn't think the Space Rangers would come back again, much less for a whole season. I was wondering if the LG cast would continue.

Ultra Fan Blue 06/28/20 06:00 PM

Perhaps another season of Lost Galaxy would have been best instead.

Venjix Immortal 06/28/20 06:01 PM

Perhaps one more Space Season would have been best so we could have a nice trilogy. Time Force would have been a good way of getting back to Earth without feeling like a let down.

Goldar's Revenge 06/28/20 06:03 PM

The problem is that the ratings for Galaxy tanked in the second half. So they were ready to cut the budget and move on. Sticking close to the Sentai Footage was cheaper and more efficient.

Starlight Starbrite 06/28/20 06:04 PM

I would have loved to see Lightspeed Rescue be a Space Season, even if it was with a new cast. The Space Trilogy idea is a good one.

PRangerX 06/28/20 06:06 PM

Just for fun. I could see Lightspeed taking place on Mirinoi with a new team of Rangers designed to protect the plant or Space in general. Maybe there are other colonies too. It would have seemed quick but so did building a Space Station so soon after Space. You could have carried over some characters from Galaxy and of course there would be a the team up. Perhaps one with all three casts. But now I am really getting into fanwank territory. Its fun to dream though.

Starlight Supreme 06/28/20 06:06 PM

I like that idea. Its a shame it didn't happen, but the chances weren't very good. Galaxy would have had to finish off strong in the second half.

Goldar's Revenge 06/28/20 06:07 PM

LG's second half didn't have good promotion since Fox got totally behind the debut of Digimon. It came off as an after thought, plus the first half of the season wasn't that good. So it may have lost viewers due to that as well.