Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Original Footage (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8691)

PRFan4Ever 05/09/18 11:36 AM

Original Footage

Since Hasbro is making such an investment in the series... Do you think they will switch to original fight footage?

MattEmily 05/09/18 04:51 PM

Re: Original Footage

we'll get original footage like we always do but Sentai will still take up the majority of the footage

Sentai Mighty 05/10/18 05:40 PM

If Hasbro goes this route then they are morons!

MattEmily 05/10/18 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Mighty (Post 75959)
If Hasbro goes this route then they are morons!

the only morons here are the idiots who insist on copying-and-pasting something that's already there

Sentai Master 05/11/18 08:03 AM

If it was so easy to have dubbed Sentai replace Power Rangers it would have been done by now. Sentai is a niche thing, not something that will be able to survive in the West without PR.

Green Alien Ranger 05/11/18 08:03 AM

Who wouldn't want both anyway?

Sentai Snob 05/11/18 08:05 AM

Those of us that realize Japanese Sentai is far superior and how much American Sentai bastardizes it.

MattEmily 05/11/18 08:40 AM

please Sentai is not superior it has its horrible seasons too just like Power Rangers has had. Stop being ridiculous and showing how pathetic you look by treating Sentai like it's some Godly all-perfect show when in fact it isn't and it doesn't even come close to it

Miki1988 05/11/18 09:59 AM

Indeed. Power Rangers is made for non-Japanese audiences only and strictly because it's a good money maker. It being in the entertainment category is a side thing.

Super Sentai - on the other hand - is made for Japanese audiences and the writing and directing (overall production) is modified that way so the show would fit in the region it's made for. The same thing goes for Power Rangers.

It's why I don't even think of thinking of comparing the two shows - even though they use the same costumes, same sets, same props and the same filming locations. The Japanese writers/producers do whatever they think goes for their audiences in their region and the Power Rangers writers just do the same for their audiences in their region. It's two different ways of approaching on how children programming is done. Plus Super Sentai has been around longer, it has a bigger/longer history and it's still there because it's somehow keeping up with the Japanese traditions and culture, which is not the case with Power Rangers. Shinkenger and Samurai are an exception. Some Super Sentai seasons are more adaptable than the others and some are not adaptable at all. Even some portions of some non-Japanese-centric seasons can make their way into PR. It's why the necessity for the original footage will never go away. However, I don't think we'll be getting a 100 % Sentai-less PR season since in some circumstances and cases, the Sentai footage can make the production of the show more profitable and easier. Even RPM used Go-Onger footage - very little of it, but it was still there. I'm sure SOME original footage will still be made once Saban is fully out of the picture, but Power Rangers has always been dependent on the Sentai footage in one way or another. However, just because the two shows use some of the same footage, it does not make them comparable. But that's just my opinion.

MattEmily 05/11/18 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 75970)
Indeed. Power Rangers is made for non-Japanese audiences only and strictly because it's a good money maker. It being in the entertainment category is a side thing.

Super Sentai - on the other hand - is made for Japanese audiences and the writing and directing (overall production) is modified that way so the show would fit in the region it's made for. The same thing goes for Power Rangers.

It's why I don't even think of thinking of comparing the two shows - even though they use the same costumes, same sets, same props and the same filming locations. The Japanese writers/producers do whatever they think goes for their audiences in their region and the Power Rangers writers just do the same for their audiences in their region. It's two different ways of approaching on how children programming is done. Plus Super Sentai has been around longer, it has a bigger/longer history and it's still there because it's somehow keeping up with the Japanese traditions and culture, which is not the case with Power Rangers. Shinkenger and Samurai are an exception. Some Super Sentai seasons are more adaptable than the others and some are not adaptable at all. Even some portions of some non-Japanese-centric seasons can make their way into PR. It's why the necessity for the original footage will never go away. However, I don't think we'll be getting a 100 % Sentai-less PR season since in some circumstances and cases, the Sentai footage can make the production of the show more profitable and easier. Even RPM used Go-Onger footage - very little of it, but it was still there. I'm sure SOME original footage will still be made once Saban is fully out of the picture, but Power Rangers has always been dependent on the Sentai footage in one way or another. However, just because the two shows use some of the same footage, it does not make them comparable. But that's just my opinion.

indeed Sentai is for Asian fans of course it's mostly done with Japan in mind anything else is just a bonus to them but it wouldn't fit on U.S. TV. Power Rangers is made with Americans in mind.

However generally not the same sets except for through stock footage and even that tends to be rare.

Power Sentai 05/11/18 11:37 AM

I see no reason why Hasbro would ditch the Sentai Footage. It makes PR way too expensive to produce without it.

Goldar's Revenge 05/11/18 11:38 AM

Not to mention Toei would never let that happen. They essentially co-own Power Rangers.

Green Arrow 05/11/18 11:39 AM

I would like to see an adult Power Rangers series that would air on the CW. They probably couldn't do zords though.

Maligore 05/14/18 07:45 PM

Hasbro will spend money and not be cheap. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Sentai Snob 05/16/18 06:22 PM

Original footage would kill American Sentai.

Miki1988 05/17/18 02:44 AM

Not according to RPM. Even Gokaiger did homages to it.

Yes, original footage may be expensive to make, but it actually can do good for the show if done right. Plus, over the years, PR has had a ton of great original fights - both on-ground and Zord ones.

MattEmily 05/17/18 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 76057)
Not according to RPM. Even Gokaiger did homages to it.

Yes, original footage may be expensive to make, but it actually can do good for the show if done right. Plus, over the years, PR has had a ton of great original fights - both on-ground and Zord ones.

dunno what the first part is referring to.

Here's my response on the 2nd part.
Yes they've done some amazing battles over the years. Who could forget them bringing back the Psychos? Who expected them to enlarge Psycho Pink and have her fight the Astro and Galaxy Megazords?

Captain Codfish 05/17/18 12:08 PM

He was responding to original footage not working.

MattEmily 05/17/18 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Codfish (Post 76060)
He was responding to original footage not working.

ah yes which we know to be the furthest from the truth granted it's not always perfect but some original stuff I enjoyed according to certain seasons would be as follows:
  1. MMPR = Zordon, Alpha and Youth Center
  2. MMPR2 = Lord Zedd. Tigerzord vs Thunder Megazord fight
  3. MMPR3 = Megazords fighting Repellator, Megazords fighting Rito and monsters
  4. Zeo = Power Chamber. Giant Rangers fighting Mondo and Cogs
  5. Space = Megaship interior excluding cockpit. Dark Specter and Astronema. Zords trying to stop asteroid. Mega Winger vs fighters
  6. Galaxy = Scorpius, Furio and Trakeena. (NOTE: Furio was original footage but his suit was not an original creation) Megazords vs Psycho Pink
  7. Lightspeed = Aquabase. Lifeforce destroying base. Jinxer piloting Omega to complete circle
  8. Time Force = Ransik. Last battle against Ransik

need I say more?

Miki1988 05/17/18 03:29 PM

Not really. The both of us could go on and on and season-by-season about original footage. But it's not necessary.

As for the RPM/Gokaiger thing - there was an attack style on RPM by the Rangers that was never used by the Go-Ongers on their show. In SMF, I'm referring to the Rangers touching the X-Borgs and one of the SMF Rangers saying "Burn rubber, X-Borg!". That attack style never happened in Go-Onger, at least I don't recall it and I've seen both. Gokaiger happened to use that attack in the footage that was later passed on as the "Let's bring on the New Powers" scenes - the SMF Rangers end up switching from Legendary RPM Mode (Go-Onger) to "New Powers" mode (Dairanger). RPM used very little Sentai footage and something from it made it to the Sentai.

MattEmily 05/18/18 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 76065)
As for the RPM/Gokaiger thing - there was an attack style on RPM by the Rangers that was never used by the Go-Ongers on their show. In SMF, I'm referring to the Rangers touching the X-Borgs and one of the SMF Rangers saying "Burn rubber, X-Borg!". That attack style never happened in Go-Onger, at least I don't recall it and I've seen both. Gokaiger happened to use that attack in the footage that was later passed on as the "Let's bring on the New Powers" scenes - the SMF Rangers end up switching from Legendary RPM Mode (Go-Onger) to "New Powers" mode (Dairanger). RPM used very little Sentai footage and something from it made it to the Sentai.

you mean when they were using their tires as part of a contact attack? that didn't come from Go-Onger so you're right there they never did that attack not even once during Go-Onger but Toei did implement that for a Go-Onger change when they were filming Gokaiger.

yup Toei sometimes borrows things from Power Rangers if they can.

Dragontron's Sentai name was G-Zord.
Dekaranger used SPD's Battlizer as their own Battlizer
Gear in Go-Busters for transformation includes the word "Morphin"
Part of Go-Busters' transformation has to include the word "Morphin"
Go-Busters' evil robots are called Megazords

Toei also wanted SPD's Cruger for an unknown reason but they couldn't get him... I guess?

Miki1988 05/19/18 03:02 AM

Actually, I liked Dekaranger Cruger suit better than SPD's, so I'm glad they didn't get it (for whatever reason). The Deka one actually looked like a dog but also gave an alien vibe at the same time, while the PR version just gave the character the alien vibe and more of a theatre-like look. However, the wired thing is they did not take SPD's base set, since it was way better than their own and gave SPD a more police-like look.

I know about the Go-Busters thing and I actually liked Megazords being some kind of monsters for a change and not being summoned by the Rangers. That and Dragontron was a bad-ass ***********r. :D

MattEmily 05/19/18 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 76083)
Actually, I liked Dekaranger Cruger suit better than SPD's, so I'm glad they didn't get it (for whatever reason). The Deka one actually looked like a dog but also gave an alien vibe at the same time, while the PR version just gave the character the alien vibe and more of a theatre-like look. However, the wired thing is they did not take SPD's base set, since it was way better than their own and gave SPD a more police-like look.

I know about the Go-Busters thing and I actually liked Megazords being some kind of monsters for a change and not being summoned by the Rangers. That and Dragontron ********

they wanted the Cruger suit for one of their specials maybe they would've expanded on Kruger or something? I dunno but as for the base they didn't have any use for it they had their own base set.

SPD Emergency 05/19/18 12:05 PM

SPD did an excellent job with Cruger's suit. Much better then Kruger's.

Sentai Master 05/19/18 12:08 PM

i don't think original or sentai footage are neccessarly good or bad. Its how they are used that matters. Sometimes the Sentai Footage has been used well, sometimes not. The same with the original footage.

MattEmily 08/20/18 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 76084)
they wanted the Cruger suit for one of their specials maybe they would've expanded on Kruger or something? I dunno but as for the base they didn't have any use for it they had their own base set.

not to mention they generally don't show the old sets in upcoming specials