Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Zabitan's Forum (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=4725)

Zabitan 01/23/15 07:09 PM

Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

Meanwhile the boys are still arguing, and their arguing gets so bad that even the Skugs can’t stand it so they split the boys up which actually gets them to stop arguing, and Jeb smells it anyway so the Troopers split up.

At the virtual dungeon the Swordbot brothers show up, and display their powers like the Ultimate Sword of Destruction, and the Whirling Blade of Doom (I wonder if their friends with Kaos from Skyladers), and Grimlord orders to them to go to reality, and destroy the Troopers

In the real world Ryan who’s looking for Scott sees the Swordbot brothers tells Jeb to leave, and transforms, and Dice tries to attack him with the Whirling Blade of Doom but Ryan keeps dodging it, and grabs it, and gives Dice a flying kick.

Meanwhile JB, and Kaitlin are looking for Josh when some Skugs try to ambush them, and some Quantum Cruisers, and Jet Fighters appear so they transform, and take the battle to virtual reality but there’s a brief malfunction where it takes them to a different part of Crossworld City so they try again, and it works.

Meanwhile Slice fires a smoke bomb, and he, and Dice try to attack Ryan but he just doges, and blocks their attacks, and despite doing good with them he claims he needs a new plan.
Then Ryan runs, and does a jump kick at Dice, and tries to finish him off but Dice just grabs Ryan’s legs while Slice slashes him then Ryan breaks free, and tries to doge Dice’s attack but gets slashed by Slice again, and starts to lose power so they go after him again but he blocks again.

Meanwhile JB, and Kaitlin are still dealing with Quantum Cruisers, and Jet Fighters so JB uses the Techno Bazooka to destroy them, and he, and Kaitlin return to reality, and retroform, and go look for Josh again.

Meanwhile the Swordbot brothers are going after Ryan so he uses a double version of the Lighting Hand command, and blocks their weapons again, and throws them in the air so they try to use daggers on him but he jumps out of the way, and they stab each other instead, and then try to throw their daggers but Ryan catches one, and uses it to block the other, and the Swordbot retreat to virtual reality.

JB, and Kaitlin find Josh, and Ryan finds Scott, and the boys have learned their lesson about arguing, and there’s a brief comedy bit from Jeb, and Grimlord once again swears vengeance.

At the tournament Josh, and Scott perform their technique perfectly now, and later win the tournament, and Kaitlin takes a picture of them with Ryan, and JB, and Tao congratulates Ryan leading to another comedy bit.

Anyway “I miss you dad” the end

Zabitan 01/23/15 07:11 PM

Final Thoughts

Honestly this episode was okay not better than the last few episodes but not really all the worse either.

I liked the designs and weapons of the Swordbot brothers especially how they seemed to evoke the whole Red Oni Blue Oni schtick.

I did like how they tied the whole idea of two brothers having to learn to get along with the idea that the monsters are feuding brothers as well, and while Ryan’s students learn their lesson the monsters don’t, and that’s how Ryan beats them

My only complaints were the part with JB’s vortex command not working since it didn’t really add to anything, and the bit about Skugs stealing the city’s power for the same reason.

The only thing I can think that didn’t use from the Metalder episode is the part where the Japanese versions of the Swordbot brothers practice on various other monsters, and it seemed like they shortened the fight they did use.

I used to think it was because they keep trying to shoehorn in a Metalder fight, and a Spielban fight in the same episode along with Battle Grid segments but a lot of these episodes have no Battle Grid segments, and use only one Metal Hero show, and they still do it.

Then again I also wish the monsters Slice, and Dice practiced on in the Metalder episode got to be MOTDs themselves since there’s like two or three more episodes with these guys.
And with that I am officially 1/5 of the way done with the first season, and 1/9 done with the show overall.

Here’s hoping that it doesn’t take me as long to finish the rest of the show.
Tune in next time everyone for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.

Zabitan 01/26/15 09:09 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Error in the System written by Mark Litton, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him that things aren’t always what they seem, and how that ties into today’s episode.

We then go to Crossworld City park where Ryan, and JB are goofing off on roller blades when they realize they have to meet Kaitlin for lunch, and decide to make a race out of it.

When they get there there’s some comedy bits but then Kaitlin’s computer acts weird, and JB finds out a virus has wiped out her computer, and Woody informs them that all the computers in Crossworld City are down making the Troopers worry about the Professor, and the lab.

Meanwhile at Ziktor Industies we find out that no surprise Ziktor is behind it, and plans to use the virus to access the VR Troopers secrets, and destroy them, and then he transforms into Grimlord to brag about it,

Then we see the Troopers driving in Kaitlin’s car when Air Striker, and Fighterbot attack them but Kaitlin transforms her car into flight mode, and they evade the mutants then they arrive at the lab, and check the machines.

Then JB recommends a system scan which JB monitor on the VR visors, and after being treated to random Metalder clips JB finds the Proffesor, and explains the situation to him but the Professor just acts like an asshole about it, and the Troopers are still worried about the virus.

Meanwhile at the virtual dungeon show some Spielban footage to explain how not only is he transmitting the virus from a secret underwater installation but the professor currently in the lab is an imitation created to distract the Troopers.

Grimlord then demonstrates by having the fake Professor send the Troopers to the Battle Grid under the guise of a reality break at the lab.

To be honest though it’s literally just The Dognapping’s Battle Grid segment in a different order with a full portal sequence, some parts shortened or removed, a different return to reality scene, and different dialogue but otherwise the exact same fight.

When the Trooper return to the lab the Professor tells them there’s another reality break nearby, and JB tries to confirm it but the Professor snaps at him, and tells the Troopers to investigate the reality break while he restores the lab’s computers but of course he’s really evil, and only Jeb of all creatures knows.

Then we see the Troopers flying in Kaitlin’s car to the reality break when they see a stalled car down where the fake Professor say the break is going to occur, and land to help the stranded people but this is all part of Grimlord’s plan, and a Skug fight breaks out.

Skugs try to kick Ryan but he blocks then JB kicks another Skug while Kaitlin does some back flips before kicking another then Ryan kicks two of the Skugs while JB, and Kaitlin punch the other two then Ryan kicks his Skugs into each other while JB, and Kaitlin finish off the other two.

The Troopers don’t see any sign of a break, and blame the whole thing of a system error (not quite a title) brought on by the virus.

Zabitan 01/26/15 09:10 PM

At Tao dojo JB is helping Tao bring back the dojo’s books then puts the VR disk in when Kaitlin comes in, and explains that the virus appeared out of nowhere making it a virtual virus, and call the Professor for help but get a pathway inoperative message which JB explains means they can’t talk to the Professor there or at the lab, and the Troopers figure out what’s going on.

Just then the Professor appears, and tells them to go to virtual reality, and destroy the virus transmission site, and since he’s using the Professor’s pathway this time the Troopers decide to take the risk, and transform.

The Troopers then go into the Skybase where the Professor tells Ryan, and JB to go to virtual reality, and destroy Grimlord’s hidden base while JB stays in the real world.

But of course this all really a trap by Grimlord so he has Ivar, and Icebot send Quantum Cruisers, and a robot called Metaborg after JB.

Then we see Metaborg himself run over JB while Cruisers fire at him but JB fires his laser at Metaborg but it does nothing, and Metaborg fires his own laser while the Quantum Cruisers fire theirs.

Meanwhile Ryan, and Kaitlin can’t find Grimlord’s base,a nd figure out the trap, and return to reality to help JB by blowing up the Quantum Cruisers with lasers but there’s still the matter of Metaborg.

Metaborg proceeds to run over JB some more before transforming into his robot form, and punching JB, and ramming him with his head while the fake Professor gloats, and Ryan tells Jeb to leave the lab.

Metaborg then flips JB over, and over like a ragdoll while the Skugs cheer on, and in if you look hard enough it looks like their smoking some kind of hookah so Kaitlin gets into the battle cruiser, and fires at Metaborg, and the Skugs before recharging JB’s powers.

JB, and Kaitlin combine laser power to weaken Metaborg, and JB finsishes Metaborg off with Laser Lance but surprisingly Grimlord is chill about it because he hacked their systems, and will learn everything but the Trooper find the real base in virtual reality, and destroy it bringing Grimlord back to his grumpy self.

Later at the lab JB has deleted Grimlord’s virus, and brings back the Professor who congratulates them for solving their own problem, and JB returns to Tao’s dojo to fix Tao’s computer, and Kaitlin returns to the Underground Voice Daily where Woody is making the reporters use old typewriters, and Ryan is just glad to have the Professor back.

Anyway “I miss you dad” the end.

Zabitan 01/26/15 09:11 PM

Final Thoughts

I still remember when I first heard about this very show back on Labor Day weekend when my family was staying in a hotel on the way to San Francisco when I first saw a commercial for VR Troopers, and I was hooked.

Now at the time I didn’t live in a place that got VR Troopers so for the longest time I had to go off just video tapes, and books until direct downloading, and Youtube became a thing before I actually was able to watch the show in it’s entirety.

Now my whole point is that the very first episode I saw was a video tape I got for my ninth birthday back in 1994, and that tape was this very episode.

That’s right kids this was the first episode of VR Troopers I ever saw so how does it stack up?

Well pretty good all things considered.

I like the plot of using a fake version of the Professor to lead the Troopers onto fake missions designed to distract, and destroy them.

I also liked Metaborg, and his design, and powers since he could transform from a vehicle to a robot like a Transformer.

I also liked seeing Kaitlin’s power transfer ability since she’s the only Trooper who can heal anyone though I think it was an attempt to compensate for not giving her a finisher move.

I think the only thing that really bugged me was the Battle Grid segment, and that was only because it was all recycled footage instead of anything new,

And even then I thought it was interesting to see the Battle Grid fight before the regular Skug fight instead of the usual other way around.

Heck there was nothing useable in the Spielban episode they used that didn’t get carried over so there’s that.

Honestly while I still think Searching for Tyler Steele is the episode I would show someone who never saw VR Troopers before to explain the show I still think this is one of my favorite episodes.

In a perfect universe the tapes would have had two episodes each with one having both parts of The Battle Begins, one having Searching for Tyler Steele, and this episode, the next having The Dogapping, with Lost Memories, then Kaitlin’s Front Page, with Battle for the Books, and finally The Dojo Plot with Oh Brother.

Zabitan 01/27/15 08:44 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Grimlord’s Challenge written by Margo McCahon, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him about determination.

We then go to Crossworld City park where Ryan, JB, and Kailtin are goofing off on roller blades with Ryan giving commentary, and then they decide to take a water break, and after a brief comedy bit from Jeb a policewoman named Officer Johnson goes up to the Troopers with a troubled girl named Randy who will end up in reform school unless Ryan can teach her Karate.

So he bets that they can get enter her in an upcoming tournament, and if she wins anything she won’t go to reform School, and Officer Johnson, and Randy agree with Johnson agreeing to donate a 1,000 if they succeed.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor watches the Troopers, and once again in typical Power Rangers villain fashion proceeds to transform into Grimlord, and announces he’s going to have a tournament with the winner fighting Ryan.

At Tao dojo Randy sees various other kids practice Karate, and almost leaves the Dojo when Tao goes up to her, and reminds of what will happen if she leaves, and she decides to give it a chance, and then there’s a brief comedy bit at the Undergound Voice Daily with Woody, Kaitlin, and Jeb when Kaitlin pitches her story about Randy.

Then there’s a brief training montage where Randy tries to practice but keeps messing up, and then we see the Troopers in the park with Ryan trying to encourage them to keep training Randy when one of Ziktor’s secretaries comes up to him with a challenge to fight Grimlord’s most powerful mutant, and proceeds to transform into her true form, and a Skug battle breaks out.

Not much happens other than the Skugs try to punch the Troopers but the Troopers keep blocking, and punching back then they hide in some playground equipment, and Ryan flips over a Skug, Kaitlin kicks another, and JB just dodges his Skug then they all kick the Skugs into each other, and destroy them.

At the virtual dungeon only two mutants are left in Grimlord’s tournament Hammerbot, and The Blade, first Hammerbot swings his hammer at The Blade but then the Blade turns his arms into a sword (hence his name), and a claw, but Hammerbot blocks both, and hits The Blade with his Hammer, and decapitates The Blade earning him the Right to fight Ryan.

Back at Tao dojo Tao encourages Randy to keep practicing while at the lab the Troopers intercept one of Grimlord’s messages that in addition to Hammerbot he’s going to send another robot called Spiderbot after Ryan while Ivar sends fleet against our reality so the Troopers decide to transform, and split up.

Zabitan 01/27/15 08:44 PM

Ryan does a jump kick against Hammerbot who throws mini axes at Ryan but he just doges them, and then Ryan scans Hammerbot but can’t find any weak spots then Hammerbot almost hits Ryan with an axe, and tires to hit him with his hammer.

Meanwhile JB pulls out his laser saber to attack Spiderbot who gives some rather funny comments about hating kids with attitude, and fires a laser at JB who dodges, and leaps at Spiderbot who catches him, and kicks him away.

Hammerbot tries to hit Ryan with his hammer but Ryan keeps getting out of the way while Spiderbot, and JB fire lasers at each other, and JB blows Spiderbot’s arms off but Spiderbot traps him with a laser disc from his back.

Hammerbot keeps trying to hit Ryan with his hammer but Ryan is still dodging but Hammerbot hits him, and Ryan tries to block with a Shovel but Hammerbot breaks it , and Ryan can barely keep dodging Hammerbot’s swings.

Quantum Cruisers, and jet fighters try to attack the Skybase but Kaitlin destroys them with missles while JB breaks out of the laser disc, and Laser Lances Spiderbot into oblivion.

Ryan once again dodges Hammerbot’s hammer swings, and does a jump kick knocking away his hammer, and breaking his helmet (and if you pause, and look for it you can see that he’s really a Japanese guy underneath), and Ryan is about to finish off Hammerbot with his own hammer when Hammerbot’s pleas for mercy remind him that’s not the right way, and Grimlord once again swears vengeance.

Later at the tournament has just one more match against a random boy named Kowalski, and if she wins it she can still make 3rd place, and at first it looks like she might lose but with some encouragement from Tao she wins, Tao congratulates her, and Officer Johsnon gives the check to Ryan.

Anyway “I miss you dad” the end.

Zabitan 01/27/15 08:45 PM

Final Thoughts

Well today’s episode was really good.

I liked the idea of Grimlord having a tournament for his Robots since it gave them an excuse to use the monster vs monster fights from Metalder.

I also liked the designs, and powers of both Spiderbot, and Hammerbot.

And believe it or not nothing was skipped from the Metalder, and Spielban footage except for a base invasion that was already used in The Battle Begins part 2.

So I like that it seems like they were starting to figure out how to use footage.

I thought the stuff with Randy was okay it just reminded me of a fast food version of that The Next Karate Kid movie with Hillary Swank which I think either came out before or right around when this did not bad but not really good either

Zabitan 01/28/15 07:58 PM

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Computer Captive written by Robert Hughes, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off with today’s “My dad taught me” moment where Ryan talks about how his dad told him to use his skills only to defend himself, and others which leads to a surprising heavy moment where he outright says he had to save his friend’s life in this episode.

We then go to the city pool where the Troopers, and Tao are diving of a board while Jeb gives commentary, and Ryan, Kaitlin, and even Tao have impressive dives while JB just flubs it, and then JB, and Kaitlin dry off so they can go to the Underground Voice Daily, and help Woody install a graphic program while Ryan, and Tao stay.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries one of Ziktor’s secretaries hands him a profit, and loss report, and this just by itself leads him to go on about how wonderful it is that computers can do anything.

Then he transforms into Grimlord, and after a backhanded compliment to his monsters summons Icebot who informs Grimlord that he’s invented a device that can capture someone through a computer, and Grimlord decides to use it on the VR Troopers.

At the Underground Voice Daily there’s a brief comedy bit where Woody is playing a Footbal game on the computer while wearing it, and gets so excited he throws down the controller, and breaks it when he scores a touch down then JB goes to install the graphics program while Kaitin works on her photo layout.

While in virtual reality Icebot has completed the computer abduction device, and Grimlord orders him to use it on JB and just as JB has finished installing the graphics program Icebot appears on the screen to talk to JB, and then we see Icebot’s hands come out, and pull JB through the computer screen, and Kaitlin tires to help but Icebot almost abducts her as well so she turns off the computer, and seeks Ryan’s help.

At the virtual dungeon JB is being held in the air with ropes made out of electricity while in the Metalder footage Grimlord, and his mutants explain that the electricity ropes will drain JB of his VR Trooper powers, and give them to Grimlord’s mutants.

At Tao dojo Ryan, and Tao are practicing karate when Kaitlin comes in, and explains to Ryan what happened to JB so they use the VR disc to contact the Professor but instead get Icebot who tries to capture them but they turn off the computer before he can.

Grimlord scolds Icebot for failing to capture Ryan, and Kaitlin, and JB points out it was because they were too smart for Grimlord, and Icebot but Grimlord decides to send a Skug fleet after Ryan, and Kaitlin, and the two are about to head to the lab when three guys in karate gis show up, and turn out to be the Skugs.

One Skug kicks Ryan a whole bunch of times while another tries to punch Kaitlin but she blocks, and punches it, and then the Skugs try to hit Ryan, and Kaitlin but they keep dodging then Ryan uses his backpack to block a Skugs hits, and then throws it at the Skugs while Kaitlin kicks, and flips over another Skug then finally Ryan hits one with a punching back, and punches, and kicks another before throwing them into some bleachers, and Kaitlin punches her Skug into the others destroying them.

Zabitan 01/28/15 08:07 PM

At the lab Ryan, and Kaitlin explain everything to the Professor, and Jeb, and the Professor tells Ryan, Kaitlin, and Jeb to put on the visors, and after a 90’s screen saver effect they see JB trapped in Grimlord’s Dungeon.

Ryan decides to go to Grimlord’s dungeon himself to rescue JB but the Professor informs him his powers won’t let him access it directly so Ryan decides to transform, and let Icebot capture him, and Kaitlin wants to go too but Ryan, and the Professor tell her to stay, and monitor things until Ryan needs help.

After being teleported to Grimlord’s dungeon Ryan sees JB who’s almost completely drained, and tries to get him out but Grimlord mocks Ryan, and his dad so Ryan tries to attack Grimlord but Grimlord sends out all his mutants, and teleports away.

Ryan fights off Grimlord’s mutants, and rescues JB, and the two escape through a portal but Grimlord’s mutants chase them, and the Gunbots open fire on them while at the lab Kailtin, Jeb, and the Professor see that Ryan has rescued JB.

Ryan tells JB to hide by a tree, and rest while a samurai themed mutant named Slashbot tells the Gunbots to return to the dungeon while he deals with Ryan personally.

First Slashbot tries to stab Ryan with his sword but Ryan dodges so Slashbot takes the crescents off his helmet, and throws them, and hits Ryan but then Ryan starts blocking them so Slashbot tires his sword again but then Ryan does a jump kick, and kicks the sword out of Slashbot’s hands.

Then he makes a scythe with two crescent edges appear, and hits Ryan but then dodges, and throws Slashbot’s own sword at him but Slashbot blocks with the scythe but gets disoriented allowing Ryan to finish him off with a spinning kick, and Grimlord scolds his mutants for failure.

Ryan takes JB back to the lab, and he, and Kaitlin put JB on one of the lab’s machines, and it restores his powers then everyone has a tender moment, and that leads to today’s “I miss you dad” moment.