Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Sailor Moon Kingdom (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Things the original Dub got right (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=5505)

NeoJupiter 11/20/14 08:30 PM

Things the original Dub got right

With the Viz dub finally being released, I thought it would be a perfect time to talk about everyones favorite subject, the original dub. While we all know the dub got plenty wrong with it's editing/translations, it also got plenty right imo. So what did you think it got right and if you want to compare/contrast DIC/Cloverway dub to the Viz dub, here is a great site that has some comparisons.

http://vimeo.com/user34365792/videos

lastchanceforaslowdance 11/20/14 08:33 PM

Re: PoThings the original Dub got right

Alot of people swear by the music , but I think it all depends on some ones taste and what genres they prefer .

NJ 11/20/14 08:33 PM

Perhaps use a completely new song for the battle with Queen Beryl?

Though wasn't there a fear at one point of the show getting canceled in Japan? That would explain why they used Moonlight Densetsu for that fight which would have fit well had it actually happened.

Sailor Pooh 11/20/14 08:34 PM

Re:Things the original Dub got right

"Crystal Clear Destiny" the music, the dialogue. Thought that episode was perfect as far as the original goes. I love the subs but that song they use doesn't hit me emotionally like the dub's does.

SnowWolf 11/20/14 08:35 PM

Sailor Moon's transformation music. So magical.

StarHealerTornado 11/20/14 08:35 PM

The dub got a lot right in my opinion:

1. The music
2. The localization of character names. (Yes, it would have been nice if they kept the original names, but look at the Viz dub and how they're mangling them. I'd rather have new names then listen to the originals get mispronounced, and at least DiC picked names that were similar to the originals for the most part, unlike other dubs that came up with completely unrelated replacement names. Also, Rini and Sailor Mini Moon were excellent translations/adaptations of Chibiusa and Sailor Chibi Moon. The dub retaining random Japanese words would have been odd.)
3. The airbrushing. (People complain about the censorship in the dub, but I'm happy they removed body lines, etc. There's no reason for there to be that much nudity/sexual content in a show about and targeted to young girls.)
4. "You were all princesses of your respective planets."
5. "Moon Tiara Magic"
6. "Crescent Moon Wand"
7. "Moon Scepter"
8. "I still pity you."
9. The voices. Sure, some of the actors (especially during S and SuperS) weren't all that great, and some of the voice choices were a bit bizarre. But even so, British Luna and Yonkers Molly worked somehow. Perhaps it was the 90s-ness of the show, I don't know. But a few oddities aside, the voices were excellent and the actors put in so much energy into their roles.
10. The cheesiness. (Look, if I want to see a serious, proper Sailor Moon, I'll watch the anime in Japanese with subtitles. One of the joys in a dub existing is to have another version of the show to enjoy, and the dub has so many wonderfully corny lines to quote like Mercury's iconic, "Go bleach your roots, creep!")

Uncanny 11/20/14 08:36 PM

Dic music for the first two seasons was AWESOME! One of the first things that got me to like Sailor Moon. The Negaverse evil theme was pure gold! I would love it if Viz could have put both tracks on the USA Blu-ray like Dragon Ball Z did.
Emerald/Esmeraude. The lady who did her voice was great.

NeoJupiter 11/20/14 08:37 PM

The music was GOLD imo. They did also did a good job at giving us all those new original songs since they didn't want to use japan songs.

Serenity vs. Beryl in the final, that song added so much to the scene I feel like.

And one thing that really stands out to me while watching the new dub, is just the music and sound effects the original dub used for transformations and attacks. It added a real sense of urgency.

otakumom 11/20/14 08:37 PM

SOME of the music:

-BGM=bad. The original BGM is music played by an orchestra, while the Dic version featured computer made music.
-Battle songs ("Carry On", "Power of Love", etc)= good.

Other than the battle music, the Dic dub is pretty bad. I stick to the LAS dub.

SoldierOfTheSun 11/20/14 08:38 PM

1. The sound mixing from the DiC seasons was vastly superior to the Viz dub and Cloverway dubs. The Viz dub sounds monotone and low-quality and the CWi dub sounds worse than most fandubs. Odd that DiC and Cloverway both outsourced to the same company.

2. Sailor Moon's transformation music was vastly superior to all 5 of the Japanese transformation songs