View Single Post
Old 12/30/06, 04:44 AM   #4
Sugar Baby
Ranger In Training

Send a message via Yahoo to Sugar Baby
Default RE: Sexism on Sailor Moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christphern
Wow. That did make some good points. I never really thought about it that way. I just always felt that Mamoru was a pointless and far underdeveloped character. But, I would most definitely agree that he was almost always inconsiderate of Usagi's feelings.
Chris
He was pretty pointless in the anime. Really, really pointless.:P The most interesting thing that happened to him was when he was turned evil by Queen Beryl.
I agree with the statement that he didn't seem to reciprocate or at least communicate his true feelings for Usagi as much as she did - if at all. Especially since he just shut her out of his life when he thought she was in danger instead of telling her. For crying out loud, they are warriors against evil - you'd think they'd entertain the thought of an enemy manipulating their dreams or something. And Darien never considered the fact that because Serena was Sailor Moon that she'd never get hurt or die, but simply because they were together it would be the death of her? What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo
All I know is the Outer Senshi were a great push back to female empowerment, going so far as to show you don't even need a man to raise a child or have a relationship with (hee-hee). That quartet was quite an independent one.
*shudder*
In some aspects I love the Outer Scouts. Setsuna (I refuse to call her Trista because 'Trista' was such a weak character) appealed to me when she spoke to Rini through the Luna ball when she ran away from home and had such a sweet sounding voice actress. That's about as far as that went as soon as she first got onto screen in the dub.
Sailor Uranus had a good voice actress but her character was poorly developed, as was all of the Outer Scouts. Sailor Neptune was instantaneously a poor character because the voice actress was Serena's mom. Don't get me started on how the dub made their relationship worse by making them cousins.
I really like the idea of Sailor Saturn, but with only seeing the dub so far, I don't have much to comment on "Sailor Saturn", per say.
The Outer Scouts had great potential when they were introduced in S, but they were a complete let down with their standoffish and often callous attitudes and poorly, poorly developed characters.

~Sugar Baby
Sugar Baby is offline   Reply With Quote