View Single Post
Old 09/10/09, 02:55 PM   #9
Tendou
Ranger In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
Yes, we do. We just don't take these superheroes as seriously.

Movies crafted with the tone of "Watchmen" or "The Dark Knight" don't get made, and watched in such massive numbers when we don't take them seriously. Americans love the stuff that's been so heavily established in our society over the years, it's the newer stuff that's heavily aimed at children that we don't gravitate toward as easily.

If you read the first few chapters of Harry Potter (I'm assuming), it reads just like any other normal story. It's not a pop-up book. In comparison, if you watch the first few episodes of Dragon Knight, it comes off as weak and boring. You have to be a diehard to the genre to stick with it long enough for it to pick up steam.

Also, the generation in question determines the success of anything. Had programs like "Heroes" been put on television back in the '60s or '70s, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as well-received as it is by today's market. And airing things made exactly like "The Six Million Dollar Man" was in this day and age would probably get laughed at by the masses.

Even in weighing things against each other, shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, even in Japan, are still considered children's television. It's just looked at as treasured by the adults because those brands have lasted so long, no different than the Muppets or Popeye are treated here in America. And judging by things like that dance troupe on America's Got Talent last night, the Power Rangers are well on their way to achieving similar indelibility.
Very good comparison with Harry Potter. The first chapter of every Harry Potter book is usually very boring and dull to nonfans, but they usually have a purpose later on. Due to it starting like that if you don't read past that chapter then you will never like Harry Potter.

Most shows now start off pretty slow, but then build up. People have to learn to give shows a real chance. Watch more than one episode and after the third episode or so if you still don't like it then drop it. My problem lies with the people that automatically dismiss a show because it is an adaptation of another show. Here's looking at you Tokusatsu fans. Just because it is made in America does not mean it is bad. In my opinion DK is far superior plot wise than Ryuki. Hell an episode of Sesame Street is far superior in plot than Ryuki. lol By the way I do love Ryuki.