Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #1
butterflyboy
Putty Patroller

Default Jetting

What did you all think about the not oft-used transport mode called "Jetting"?

It seemed weird and somewhat pointless to me. I'm left wondering what the point was, unless it was made up solely to further pad out the Ninja Encounter three-parter. But it didn't even do that very well. Did the writer's have some other ideas in mind for it?

I think they used it arbitrarily in one other episode before it faded into MMPR obscurity.

What are ya'll's thoughts?
butterflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #2
Ankh Primo
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Jetting

I haven't yet been in one discussion about this subject where a single person has any insight into why the practice was ever implemented. Or even one where a single person enjoyed seeing it.

It was just bizarre.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #3
butterflyboy
Putty Patroller

Indeed.

Maybe it was one of those things that sounded better on paper than it actually turned out?

It literally made no sense. When it was introduced, Alpha stated that the advantage of it was that it allowed them to see exactly where they were going. Problem is, until then we didn't know that they couldn't do this while teleporting. Disregarding the fact that we saw them hold a full conversation while teleporting in "Teamwork" (indicating that they remain in a conscious state), in almost every episode they would just morph directly to the danger anyhow.

The only time it made a semblance of sense was in "Forever Friends" when it gives Bulk and Skull the idea to chase them in their own rocket packs.

I guess its important to remember that this was during a really tumultuous time of MMPR's production and maybe the writers were just flyin' by the seat of their pants to get shows produced.
butterflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #4
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

They thought it would be interesting and that they could sell toys with it. Can't sell a teleporting toy, but one that just flies around? Any toy can Jet.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #5
Ankh Primo
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
They thought it would be interesting and that they could sell toys with it. Can't sell a teleporting toy, but one that just flies around? Any toy can Jet.
But did they sell a Jetting toy? I'm not well-versed in the merchandise.

They could just as easily put a helmet on a red lightning bolt and call it a teleporting Red Ranger. I don't see why adding a concept to the show was necessary.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #6
johnboy3434
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh Primo View Post
But did they sell a Jetting toy? I'm not well-versed in the merchandise.
No, they didn't. Furthermore, I don't see how they could in a way that would justify featuring it on the show. How would a "jetting" figure be any different from a normal figure held horizontal in the air? The most you could do with it would be a Happy-Meal-style toy with a stand for the inarticulate Ranger figures in a "jetting" pose.

That's what makes it so bizarre: You can't use the "to sell toys" excuse because there was no toy to be sold.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/15, 04:14 PM   #7
ElusiveWookiee
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy3434 View Post
No, they didn't. Furthermore, I don't see how they could in a way that would justify featuring it on the show. How would a "jetting" figure be any different from a normal figure held horizontal in the air? The most you could do with it would be a Happy-Meal-style toy with a stand for the inarticulate Ranger figures in a "jetting" pose.

That's what makes it so bizarre: You can't use the "to sell toys" excuse because there was no toy to be sold.
I think that is exactly Titanium's point. Figures that were already in production could be used to recreate the "jetting." It gives kids one more type of make believe for playing with their toys.
ElusiveWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #8
WhiteMystechRanger
Putty Patroller

I had to rewatch that. Wow. Jetting looked far slower than the instantaneous teleportation (though there are times we see them as coloured blobs flying around. But even then it was blatantly faster than Jetting.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #9
Silver_Tiger
Putty Patroller

I think Alpha may have worded it wrong, Direct site to site teleportation is programed in, thus can not be changed during mid sequence. as with Jetting the rangers were not on a static path and could move freely in 3 dimensional space. At least that's the way I view it
Silver_Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/15, 04:14 PM   #10
Zabitan
Administrator

Eh I wouldn't have thought it was so dumb if they didn't already have teleportation or the Radbug.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply