Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #1
tgif1345
Putty Patroller

Default Ranger Powers

I have a couple of questions for all of you Power Ranger fans out there. How many seasons do the Rangers lose their powers at the end of them? I know the MMPRs lose their powers at the beginning of Season 3, following the destruction of the Thunderzords at the hands of Rito Revolto, as well as at the beginning of MMAR when Rita and Zedd destroy the Ninja power coins, but are the powers truly lost? I mean Adam and Jason both have their MMPR powers restored, Justin and TJ get their Turbo powers restored, the Ninja Storm Rangers get their powers restored, Tori gets her Wind Ninja Storm Ranger powers restored by Sentinel Knight, and the Dino Rangers get their powers restored when they're teleported to 2025 by Broodwing in SPD, but, did any Rangers, or Ranger teams lose their powers permanently so they can't be restored, or is that dependent on the status of the Morphing Grid?

Also are all the Rangers' powers linked to their Zords? I know the MMPRs lost their Dino powers after the Thunderzords were destroyed, but that was due to a backlash of energy running through the Morphing Grid, as Tommy had ordered Alpha to feed as much power into the Thunder Megazord and the Tigerzord as possible despite the strain on the Power Accelerator.

I also read somewhere, though I can't remember where, that if Zordon and Alpha hadn't infused the Dinozords with the power of Thunder to change them into the Thunderzords, Jason, Zack, Billy, Trini, and Kimberly would've lost their powers for the same reason Rocky, Adam, Billy, Aisha, Kimberly and Tommy did in "Ninja Quest", because of excess energy from the Zords, running through the Morphing Grid.

Are there any other Ranger powers that are dependent on the operation of the Rangers' Zords? Or does it just depend on how much power is flowing through the Morphing Grid at the time the Zords are destroyed?
tgif1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #2
Merlin
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Ranger Powers

The only season I can think of where the Zords are the dependence factor was Wild Force. They're chosen by the Power Animals to receive powers over everyone else. A spiritual bond had to be formed with Zords externally before they could become Rangers. If these Zords are destroyed, so would go the powers.

I'm not sure whether in Lost Galaxy the Rangers being able to pull the Quasar Sabers was a consequence of the Galactabeasts choosing each person.

Most other times, the Zords are an accompaniment to the arsenal that's powered by something else, like Dino Gems, advanced technology, magic, kung fu, Symbol power, etc. The Rangers still have other Ranger powers if these Zords are lost, because they're not dependent on them.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #3
legostormer
Putty Patroller

The powers are needed mostly to pilot the zords and the zords has not a big influence on them a revieuw of the series:

Dino zords: crashed twice without the rangers losing power
Thunder zords: Destroyed and due overpowering the morphing grid coins also broken
Ninja zords: Where unable to operate, powers were acessable
Shogun zords: Where operational without the ninja powers
Zeo zords: Made after the powers
Turbo zords: Destroyed without losing power, link to Eltar dropped aswell the power
Space fleet: no relation power - zord
Galactabeast: Power came from the swords so mayby not directly
Lightspeed fleet: Presummably made after the powers (ref Titanium and Max solarzord)
Time force: Idem Lightspeed
Wild force: Powers came from animal crystals so they have a strong link
Ninja storm: Zords created after the powers, powers were related to their own ninja power and where not taken away
Dino Thunder: Zords were made in relation to the dino gems
SPD: see lightspeed
Mystic force: The rangers became the zords
Operation Overdrive: Man made
Jungle fury: They were animal spirits coming out of the rangers
RPM: Made after the powers
Samurai: Not fully known yet
legostormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #4
tgif1345
Putty Patroller

That's what I thought, though with Samurai, with the powers being passed down from parent to child over a period of what was probably a few centuries, the Samurai Folding Zords could be the source of their powers. My reasoning for this is that the Rangers carry their Zords in their pockets, in shape mode, and all six Rangers all had a Zord prior to them being given their morphers, so they already had their powers, they just couldn't channel them through the Morphing Grid to become the Power Rangers until they had their morphers.

What about the status of the Morphing Grid? Were any Ranger powers lost permanently when the Rangers were stripped of them? I mean, even after Tommy had lost the Green Ranger powers and became the White Ranger, the Wizard of Deception was still able to give Tommy's clone the Dragon coin and permanent Green Ranger powers, despite the earlier loss of them. And as I mentioned before both Jason and Adam's Tyrannosaurus and Mastodon power coins were restored to full power in Forever Red and Once a Ranger, despite the destruction of the Thunderzords way back in Mighty Morphin Season 3, and the charred and scratched look of Adam's Power Morpher and Mastodon power coin in PRIS.

And of course the other examples I mentioned too like TJ and Justin's Turbo powers being restored in PRIS and Forever Red, the Ninja Storm Rangers' powers being restored in Dino Thunder, Tori's Blue Wind Ranger powers being restored in Once a Ranger, the Dino Rangers' powers being restored in SPD, and Kira's Yellow Ranger powers being restored in Once a Ranger.

I saw the end of Wild Force, and Master Org did destroy the Wild Zords, stripping the Rangers of their powers, but their determination to protect the Earth somehow restored the Zords and the Rangers' powers, and awakened like a hundred or more previously unseen Wild Zords.

But, personally, and this is just a theory I have. With the Rangers' powers, as well as the power used by the Zords during battle, are each drawn from the Morphing Grid. As we saw in MMPR Season 3 with the Thunderzords, if a set of Zords are destroyed, and if they were using a significant amount of energy, then there would be a lot of energy suddenly out of place. The only logical thing would be that the energy would travel back to it's point of origin, causing a cascade effect that could, potentially, if enough energy was being transferred back along the line, destroy the portion of the Morphing Grid that that particular Ranger team was using, therefore stripping them of their powers, and their base of operations, if it was also connected to the Morphing Grid as the Command Center seemed to be.

So, if that's the case, then when the Dinozords were destroyed by Lord Zedd, and Zordon transferred their connection to the Morphing Grid to the new Thunderzords, then the Rangers' powers were saved. Zordon was prepared for that. But, since the attack by Rito and the monsters was unsuspected, Zordon couldn't prepare for the destruction of the Thunderzords as he had for the destruction of the Dinozords.

Any thoughts on my theories, or any other theories on this? It's something that's interested me since I saw Ninja Quest Part 1.
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #5
Long Time Newbie
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgif1345 View Post
I have a couple of questions for all of you Power Ranger fans out there. How many seasons do the Rangers lose their powers at the end of them? I know the MMPRs lose their powers at the beginning of Season 3, following the destruction of the Thunderzords at the hands of Rito Revolto, as well as at the beginning of MMAR when Rita and Zedd destroy the Ninja power coins, but are the powers truly lost? I mean Adam and Jason both have their MMPR powers restored, Justin and TJ get their Turbo powers restored, the Ninja Storm Rangers get their powers restored, Tori gets her Wind Ninja Storm Ranger powers restored by Sentinel Knight, and the Dino Rangers get their powers restored when they're teleported to 2025 by Broodwing in SPD, but, did any Rangers, or Ranger teams lose their powers permanently so they can't be restored, or is that dependent on the status of the Morphing Grid?

Also are all the Rangers' powers linked to their Zords? I know the MMPRs lost their Dino powers after the Thunderzords were destroyed, but that was due to a backlash of energy running through the Morphing Grid, as Tommy had ordered Alpha to feed as much power into the Thunder Megazord and the Tigerzord as possible despite the strain on the Power Accelerator.

I also read somewhere, though I can't remember where, that if Zordon and Alpha hadn't infused the Dinozords with the power of Thunder to change them into the Thunderzords, Jason, Zack, Billy, Trini, and Kimberly would've lost their powers for the same reason Rocky, Adam, Billy, Aisha, Kimberly and Tommy did in "Ninja Quest", because of excess energy from the Zords, running through the Morphing Grid.

Are there any other Ranger powers that are dependent on the operation of the Rangers' Zords? Or does it just depend on how much power is flowing through the Morphing Grid at the time the Zords are destroyed?
The Ninja Rangers and Dino Rangers didn't keep there powers forever though. The Ninja Rangers' (plus Cam's) morphers were depleted utterly by the end of Thunder Storm Part 2. The Dino Rangers gave back their Dino Gems in History (though if by some chance they recovered them they would probably still work, it's mostly the same for the Lost Galaxy Rangers), and we're not sure if Tommy's or Trent's Dino Gems still exist.

Mystic Force powers are unclear. The Master sucked all the rangers native power out of them, but they got refilled by the population. It's unknown whether that power continued feeding them after The Master died or not. Of course at great need I'm sure Toby or Phineas would wish them their powers back...

The former rangers in Once A Ranger had their powers restored by Sentinal Knight (except for Bridge and possibly some others) and it's not clear how long they last.

Jason's powers in Forever Red remain a mystery to everyone. Justin's and TJ's make a little more sense as they only lost there power supply rather than being destroyed completely.

The one that makes everything really confusing is Adam in Always A Chance. There he used a coin openly known not to work and it morphed him, albeit by leeching him in place of the Morphing Grid. This means that all powers may still work in theory, just with a real risk of killing the host (I'm aware that the only one to die in a remotely similar manner was the not technically ranger Niella but the point stands).

As for the zord thing, most seasons are hard to say but I'll try my best.

MMPR has been covered.

Zeo I don't know. Most (if not all) were made after the powers but that doesn't conclusively mean they weren't linked up.

Turbo Zords were lost without losing powers.

In Space Zords seemed independant of the powers (there's one episode where Alpha transforms and pilots the Astro Megazord in battle - if it were truely linked to the rangers he shouldn't have been able to, also the Battilizer worked after the Delta Megazord was blown up).

Galactazords are linked to the Transdaggers so it's possible the loss of the Galaxy Ranger's powers would affect them, but I would have thought it would just revert them to Galactabeasts. Most of them died stopping kamikaze stingwingers (to this day I wonder how Saban got away with that one) and it didn't strip the rangers' powers.

Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force and Wild Force I honestly didn't watch enough of to judge.

Ninja Storm had the powers last a little longer than the zords. I doubt it would have worked in reverse however.

Dino Thunder Zords (whatever there collective name is) were grown from the same basic source as the Dino Gems and thus had a very clear resemblance if I remember rightly, but were not truly the same. A large chuck of the zords were forced to self destruct (which when you remember they're alive becomes quite a lot nastier, at least the stingwingers sort of had a choice) but due to bad porting of Sentai footage, arguments will forever wage over which ones. The only zord I thought was explicitly linked to a given power was the Mezodon Rover (the only non living one, linked to the Shield of Triumph) but each ranger had a strong natural bond with their corresponding zord.

SPD zords seemed to work independantly of powers.

Mystic Rangers kept their powers when Koragg stripped their Megazord Mode but they could still take their individual Titan Modes. A loss of ranger powers would result in a loss of zords for obvious reasons, except perhaps in the case of the Solar Streak Megazord, which would probably work if they could summon it. The key question surrounding Mystic Force Zords is why Daggeron's is so differant to everyone elses.

Operation Overdrive's Drivemax Ultrazord and Flash Point Megazord were piloted by the former rangers in Once A Ranger. I think that says it all.

In Jungle Fury Casey could take the form of the red ranger after having his Tiger Spirit ripped out, but he lacked much of the power he would normally have.

RPM I'm not sure about and Samurai is still subject to change.
Long Time Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #6
tgif1345
Putty Patroller

So there doesn't seem to be an instant where a Ranger's powers were gone for good, without hope of bringing them back. I just thought of something that I hadn't thought of before. In 'Ninja Quest' Part 2, Billy explains to the Rangers that the Command Center's power core had been destroyed, therefore preventing Zordon and Alpha from restoring the Zords. So, what if, the Command Center's power core was actually where the power coins drew their powers from? At least in the case of the original six or seven (counting the Dragon and Tiger power coins) power coins. It would make sense.

I mean, Tommy lost most of his powers, and gave whatever he had left to Jason, along with his power coin, the Dragon Dagger, and the Dragonzord. But then, he came back, with a power boost from Zordon. Except for that initial boost of power, Tommy recharged his powers from the Command Center's power core, instead of Zordon's own energies. He used up whatever he had left, and once again lost his powers. But, the coin was still intact, so given the right circumstances, it could be permanently recharged, but Zordon just didn't know how. Rita or the Wizard of Deception might've since there was no mention of Tommy's clone having temporary powers like Tommy had during his second tenure as the Green Ranger.

So, if the power coins were still intact, then it stands to reason that the original Dino powers could've been restored once the Command Center was up and running, but since the Rangers couldn't wait that long, they had to go find Ninjor and get the Ninja power coins from him. Which is why Jason was able to morph into the Red Ranger in Forever Red. Sure the Command Center/Power Chamber was destroyed, but, if the Zeo Power Chamber (located, according to a diagram of the Power Chamber in a comic book, beneath the Command Center) was still operational then the power core that ran the Command Center, could still be active.

Am I making any sense here?
Old 09/03/12, 05:01 PM   #7
SylvanGenesis
Putty Patroller

Jason got his power coin from the Red Dark Ranger, it's apparently recounted in a canon comic and legitimized by the man who wrote Forever Red.

Also, in terms of powers that are gone gone gone, the original Ninja powers probably won't be making a reappearance. They could probably be remade, but that would be from scratch. The Ninja coins were dusted by Zedd and Rita. Adam's Mastodon coin, damaged in the backlash from the Morphing Grid during the fight with Rito, was restored by Sentinel Knight, but his Frog coin is sparkles in the wind now.
SylvanGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/12, 05:01 PM   #8
Digifiend
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie,
Re: Zeo, Zeo Megazord, Red Battlezord and Warrior Wheel were made after the powers, the Super Zeo gems power the Super Zeo Megazord, which was the intended zord set for the Zeo Crystal's ranger powers. Pyramidas presumably is linked to the Gold Ranger powers.

Re: Lost Galaxy, they acquired the Galactabeasts after the main powers, so they're not actually linked. If a sword was destroyed though, so too would the powers. That's why Karone stole Kendrix's Quasar Sabre from Onyx, to stop aliens from misusing or destroying it.

Lightspeed Rescue's situation is the same as Overdrive's. Man made zords.

The collective name of the Dino Thunder zords is Biozords or Dinozords. I prefer Bio because Dinozords is also the name of the first MMPR zords. The zords were destroyed before the powers, so the powers cannot be dependant on the zords.

RPM's zords are basically materialised computer data. Like the RPM ranger powers, they can't truly be destroyed because Dr K can restore them from a backup.

Samurai, no link. There are two red ranger Samuraizers but they use the same zords.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/12, 05:01 PM   #9
LondonBoy
Putty Patroller

^ I've always believed the Z-Wave Energy restored Jason's coin.
LondonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/12, 05:01 PM   #10
Dyl
Putty Patroller

Although not a Zord, the space powers were linked to the megaship. I remember during the "Impenetrable Web" episode, when the mega ship was caught in the web the space rangers were forced to change back. However after LG we still see andros morphed, even after the mega ship was destroyed. So maybe a) he rewired the technology to work on it's own, or b) he just rewired the technology to the new megaship to act as the host.
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply