Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/18/14, 05:53 PM   #1
MorphinTime
Comic Relief

Default JDF Vs. Austin St. John vs. Johnny Bosch

Catchy title, right?

I’m actually writing to share my experiences over the last couple of weeks, and to give a warning.

I met Austin St. John at Morphicon. I can’t even describe the warm, humble sincerity (and complete awesomeness) that this person evoked. He was engaging with eye contact and truly wonderful to meet. I’ll never forget it. He didn’t rush me, even though the line was long, and even asked me questions like where I am from. He has even answered posted questions I’ve left on his facebook.

Now, I met JDF last April. I’ll just say it was a TERRIBLE experience (if you want all the details you can read my post from that time, “Meeting JDF or How to Make a Grown Man's Daughter Cry”.) Anyway, he is in my hometown of Salt Lake City again this weekend for the Salt Lake Comic Con, along with Johnny Bosch. I decided that despite the horrible experience last time, his character meant so much to me that I had to meet him again. I kept trying to think of reasons why maybe what happened before was somehow my fault. “Maybe I didn’t give positive enough energy... Maybe I was too quiet last time and he couldn’t hear me, and that’s why he cut me off…” I kept thinking. It still didn’t excuse him ignoring us for his cell phone, but I had to try once more. And this time I went ALONE (my daughter had no desire to try again.)

So yesterday, I met him again. He and Johnny did a panel beforehand, and both of them (especially JDF) were really funny and charming. Afterward I went to meet JDF. I went with high hopes, yet low expectations. I got up to the front of the line and paid for a photo of me with him on my camera (they charge $40 for that –more than anyone I saw at the Morphicon.) When it was my turn I shook his hand and he saw the note they gave me that said “pic.” (I didn’t say anything about having met him previously.) I started telling him how he was “a symbol of hope for me through chronic illness” and “thank you” –and –that was as far as I got. He wasn’t even paying attention. He mumbled “that’s great,” coming around for the photo while I was still talking (and not even looking at me.) The guy working with him took the photo and I was done. JDF was on to the next person. I didn’t even have his attention for what I was saying for 3 seconds. Literally. He was rushing everyone through like cattle. He didn’t take time to listen to ANYONE. At least this time I am sure it wasn’t me.

Afterward, I went and saw Johnny Bosch. I was out of money, and he too was charging $40 for a pic or signature. I didn’t buy anything, but he was friendly and warm and seemed to genuinely enjoy answering my questions about “Extreme Heist” & “Broken Path.” He was charming and fun to meet.

So, those are my experiences. I met many, many other Ranger actors (and voice actors) at Morphicon, and they were all fun to meet. Every single one of them.

I gave JDF a second chance and he blew it. I just felt that I had to let everyone who hasn’t already met him know what they may very well get and could expect when they meet this man. I’ve heard from others that had good experiences meeting him. I’m happy for you -and jealous. Tommy meant SO MUCH to me, and I badly wanted to have a good experience with JDF. But based on both of my experiences, it’s my take that he can be rude, self-absorbed, and only concerned about how much money he makes. He’s smart enough to know how to impress the right people to look good in the public’s eye. If you have a good experience meeting him –GREAT! But don’t go expecting him to fit into the “Tommy” mold. And be prepared that he may treat you like a walking wallet there for his benefit.

My advice? Rather than JDF, meet Austin St. John or Johnny Bosch (or any other Ranger actor for that matter.)
MorphinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply