Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Kamen Rider Online
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadClosed Thread

Old 09/16/09, 09:38 PM   #1
kamenriderryuki
Putty Patroller

Default rant on dragon knight

ok the stupid americans got permission to make kamen rider ryuki americanized but they suck at adapting tokusatsu shows(tokusatsu is a superhero live action show) they cldve kept it ryuki

1. its henshin not kamen rider

2. his names ren not len heck lien wld be ok to but no len

3. its ryuki RYUKI not dragon knight

4. now i do have to say dragon knight is better than sabans masked rider which adapted black rx but it isnt better than ryuki

if they end up doing 555 they better not screw that up (which they probably will)

thats my rant comment on it with ur opinions
Old 09/17/09, 12:23 AM   #2
Tendou
Ranger In Training

1. If you saw the pilot episode them saying henshin is probably the most stupid thing. It is a Japanese word so why would characters speaking English use it.
2. They are not the same characters so I don't see the complaint there.
3. Ryuki means Dragon Knight in English. Again this is an American show. It is not a direct adaptation to Ryuki. You would know that if you watched it.
4. This is my opinion, but almost every single Tokusatsu show around the world are better than Ryuki's messy plot and absurd villains. To back up my belief in the original airing of the show the show was almost cancelled due to lack of ratings. That means people didn't really like it. I would give a whole lecture on how DK is better than Ryuki, but I don't need to waste my breath.

I doubt based on how well they handled this show that they would mess up any of the other Kamen Rider shows. I also find it funny that your tag is in your words "i hate kamen rider ryuki". Sadly many hardlined supposed Tokusatsu fans didn't bother to give this show a chance due to their belief that nothing can beat the original. This is all my opinion though so whatever.
Old 09/17/09, 03:36 PM   #3
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Wait, wait, wait. You bothered to make a whole thread in the Dragon Knight forum JUST to say how bad it is? Couldn't you... you know... not even bother? It amuses me when people have more fun letting everyone know how much they hate something when they could simply ignore what they don't enjoy.

That said, Dragon Knight is an adaptation. It's the Wang Brothers designing a show using elements from another show. This was never about showing Americans the complete Kamen Rider Ryuki series. Thus why the characters live in America, speak English, have completely different occupations, are different ages, and have unique motives for fighting this war, so words like "henshin" and "ryuki" would sound just as out of place as if you'd use them in conversations with your parents.

And just to show I'm not completely against you, I agree that Len's name is strange. Why they used a transliteration of Ren's name at all is beyond me.

That said, I should close this thread for the sheer negativity of it, but I'll leave it open just to showcase how many people disagree with you, and perhaps it'll open your mind to creative license.
Old 09/17/09, 09:10 PM   #4
PRangerX
Administrator

The whole idea is that Dragon Knight isn't Ryuki. The intent is to create a brand new show with the action footage. Not a direct remake of the previous. They don't even adapted Ryuki episode by episode. They just use the action footage that fits the episodes. I wouldn't even call this an adaption of Ryuki at all. Just a series that uses the same action footage.
Old 09/17/09, 10:56 PM   #5
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

I agree with PRangerX. It isn't a mistranslation of Ryuki, it's a show in and of it's own right. Godzilla fans of all people are used to bad English adaptations. We simply think of the films as a brother or a companion to their Japanese counterparts. Take for instance 1954's "Gojira" compared against its Americanization "Godzilla: King of the Monsters." The differences are so great they're considered two seperate films, and we think of them as two seperate films but enjoy them both. Even films like "Gojira Raids Again" (the sequel to the first) compared against its obscure Americanization "Gigantis: the Fire Monster." They didn't even keep the same franchise title!

Yeah Dragon Knight isn't Ryuki, but no one, not even the producers wanted to remake Ryuki. Certain plot elements are consistent between the two, but the differences are great enough to think of the two as companions to one another. And Ryuki's Americanization actually has a leg up on Godzilla's Americanization: brand new special effects footage, with no Raymond Burr!
Old 10/21/09, 05:38 PM   #6
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderryuki View Post
(tokusatsu is a superhero live action show)
Correction, tokusatsu simply means it's live action and involves special effects. Godzilla and Gamera count as tokusatsu, but are more accurately defined as kaiju eiga.
Old 10/21/09, 09:12 PM   #7
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokuNoob View Post
Correction, tokusatsu simply means it's live action and involves special effects. Godzilla and Gamera count as tokusatsu, but are more accurately defined as kaiju eiga.
I doubt he'll be around to read this.
Old 12/05/09, 01:11 AM   #8
Aqua Knight
Putty Patroller

Send a message via Yahoo to Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
Lol! Nice, but probably true.
Old 03/24/10, 09:19 PM   #9
Kamen Rider Decade
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
He wasn't around to see even the first response to this thread. He left minutes after posting his idiotic rant and never came back. The first response wasn't until the next day.'

/thread

Closed.
Post New ThreadClosed Thread