Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02/13/08, 05:47 AM   #1
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo
Default How to make Sailor Moon: The Movie

Okay, we've all heard the craptastic falsehood of Lindsay Lohan being offered the lead for a live-action Sailor Moon movie way back when. While that set off something of a world of imagination on my part, only the recent developments of this year's live-action Dragon Ball really made me start thinking about how Sailor Moon would realistically be pulled off.

The characters would have to be 18 or so for mature casting, if they were 15 the actors would look like they're from High School Shouj-ical. Obviously the girls would all get their powers at the same time, it would simply be a waste of film to give each Scout a solo introduction. The whole talking cat deal might remind those not familiar with the anime of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but that wouldn't be a big deal, especially given the special effects of today would make Luna and Artemis look as good as something out of the Chronicles of Narnia. But the one thing that's hard to figure is which villains make the cut.

Nowadays, every movie seems to get a sequel greenlit. When it comes to science fiction and fantasy titles, 3-movie deals are almost commonplace. And while exceptions to this rule are ever growing (Harry Potter and X-Men come to mind), execs still try to condense the major plot points of every adaptation into a hattrick.

Coming back to my thought, which forces of evil would be given the big screen treatment? (Dub names to follow, duh) Queen Beryl and the Negaverse immediately come to mind since they were first chronologically, and probably had the only lackeys whose personalities weren't one-dimensional and their resolutions memorable. The Negamoon Family could easily be altered for a sequel to pose a cliché "evil Sailor Scout" angle, since the four sisters have the black moon symbol on their foreheads and mimic the signature elemental attacks. Only problem with including them in the franchise is it would somewhat lessen the impact of potentially introducing the Outer Scouts later on, because the non-fanatics wouldn't know what constitutes the true Sailor Scouts. Or maybe to that effect, they could instead use Uranus and Neptune and make them sisters (I know, I know) who were tainted by Rubeus. Then of course there's the Heart Snatchers, the Dark Moon Circus and Shadow Galactica, all of which surround the identical task of seeking out some mystical part of the human body that only a select group of people hold within them. I'd want Sailor Saturn for the final film, which would fit perfectly since Pluto's no longer a planet ( ;_; ) and Mini-Moon sucks ( ^_^ ), but using a future Sailor Scout as a tool for evil would be a repetitive notion if I included my concept for the second film. Same goes for Sailor Galaxia as the antagonist, and she's the only true evil Sailor Scout.

So, as you can see, there are a number of ways to go. Three films, chronicling the villains from Classic/R, focusing purely on the first five Scouts. Three films, the second debuting Uranus and Neptune, the third Saturn. Five movies, each covering one of the five series. Then there's a ton of combinations for those choices to condense the anime to its most important elements. Option A sounds best, but I just wanted to gauge if I'm the only fan whom such an approach would please.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote