Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/11/14, 11:44 AM   #1
Demha88
Putty Patroller

Default The DIC lost episodes

do know this is a topic that's been constantly in debate and many fans came up with several possible theories which many of them may be or not be true ( and is nothing new I know ) , but here is one I thought of sharing with my fellow moonies ( in case it hasn't been shared before) ^_^

DIC was spending (or wasting depending on your view) so much money on the production and adaption ( not just translating ) of the show . This consists of importing the show, edits, new music , computer effects , the voice actors, and other financial requirements. they simply had to cut costs in order to compromise with other expenses. How ?

By dropping episodes they felt that did not add to the plot or even having merged two into one. I'm not saying this is the only reason. It could be part of the reason why they did what they did. I'm not an expert on how the business works or anything but again, just my thoughts. :smug:

What do you guys think?
Demha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/14, 11:45 AM   #2
1dbad
Putty Patroller

Default Re: The DIC lost episodes

Believe it or not, a lot of what they did (dubbing via rythmo band, rescoring the show's music, ect.) made the dub cheaper to produce, rather than more expensive. So I don't think they did it because they were running out of budget or anything.

The most likely reason some episodes were skipped actually seems to be for syndication purposes, since you only need 65 episodes of a show to get that. Had they dubbed the episodes in order the show wouldn't have had a good stopping place, but by cutting episodes here and there they were able to get a much better one. Now rather than ending on a filler like the Jupiter/Venus fighting episode (which they would've had they gone in order), they ended with a more important resolution episode -- the last two Black Moon Sisters being healed.

Another reason they probably skipped episodes was due to some having stuff they thought would be too hard to edit, and/or them thinking certain episodes didn't fit in with the storyline they were making for the show.
1dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/14, 01:24 PM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

I agree with 1dbad that DiC only skipped episodes due to syndication purposes. I don't believe they skipped them for expense reasons.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/14, 12:15 AM   #4
PRangerX
Administrator

There were also some episodes that had content that wouldnt get past standards and practices. The first skipped episode featured an enchanted Umino lifting Miss Huruna's skirt. There was one that hand Usagi's brother striking Luna while under a spell. Another one here Usagi disguises herself as a adult and goes undercover at a bar. The finalie if season 1 was heavily edited to eliminated a lot of the excessive violence. But there are a few episodes skipped for purely budget reasons.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/14, 05:31 PM   #5
MattEmily
Administrator

That's very true as well in the case of censorship excuses but in the case of Sammy striking Luna that could have just been edited out since that was done a lot to either Luna or Artemis in the original version especially in later seasons that were dubbed by Cloverway and there were no issues with removing it.

The bar one was definitely a huge issue however since Serena would have been setting a bad example for the young children that watched the show since she would have been seen as a minor in the U.S. version of the show even though the show was set in Japan and therefore they would have followed Japanese laws in the actual show itself.

No doubt about the finale having a lot of excessive violence especially with the deaths of Amy, Mina, Raye and Lita as well as Beryl stabbing Tuxedo Mask into his own death.

The thing that I don't quite get is why the one Mina episode was skipped.
Old 12/15/14, 09:11 PM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

Yeah that seems like a budget reason. Made so sense to skip that one. Guess they just wanted 65 episodes.

The Cloverway dub was years later and aired on Cable... So they may have been able to get away with a bit more.

I believe there was a few instances of violence in that episode. But maybe they needed to cut an episode and that was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I don't believe Usagi was supposed to be in the bar even in Japan. She had to disguise herself as an adult. And really didn't seem to know what to do. Since she tried ordering a juice at a bar.
Old 12/15/14, 09:14 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

In some places the syndication dub actually aired on Cartoon Network but maybe it was just a case of DiC just trying to be careful since they didn't know who would pick it up.
Old 12/15/14, 09:16 PM   #8
PRangerX
Administrator

Really? I remember the original dub airing in repeats on USA Network after it got cancelled. Then it moved to Cartoon Network in reruns until the final episodes of R were done and the movies. Then of course S and SuperS. Which was funny since they lost the rights to the Dic dub afterawhile and could only show the Cloverway.

The Final episodes of R also got a run in Syndication in some markets for awhile.
Old 12/15/14, 09:33 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

I always saw it on Cartoon Network or Fox Kids if I recall correctly.
I don't recall ever seeing it on the USA Network.
Old 12/18/14, 10:28 PM   #10
Dic Dubber
Ranger In Training

Its a shame.DIC was never never able to dub those lost episodes. Would have like to see what they could of done. But than again DIC itself never got past season 2.
Dic Dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply