Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/02/14, 10:43 AM   #1
LordIvanOoze
Putty Patroller

Default Can you see the show having an Anti Hero for a villain?

I've been wondering would you like to see Power Rangers have a main villain that believes he's doing the right thing and considers the Power Rangers evil? I know it seems to complex for the show but I'd like to see a villain doesn't see himself as a villain.
LordIvanOoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 10:43 AM   #2
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321
Default Re: Can you see the show having an Anti Hero for a villain?

The anti-hero is generally reserved for the sixth ranger/extra hero role, as it does kind of skew the whole good vs evil message if there is a legitimate claim for a villain to do what it does and the lesson would tend to become talking it out. Like the several MOTW that turned out to be good guys and the Rangers decide to help them out instead of defeating them.

There are the Demons in Lightspeed Rescue however, who do have a legitimate claim to their actions. Humans built a city over their ancient homeland, it just happens that they are also evil demons who would use the city to spread their evil.

Jarrod, while possessed by DaiShi, was as close to an anti-hero villain as Power Rangers will probably get. He was being driven to become the best and strongest fighter and the beast monsters getting to take over the world was just an after thought to his personal goal of having the most power.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 10:47 AM   #3
Shadowforce_71
Shadow Ranger

Wouldn't this technically be an anti-villain? I mean Astronema's personal motivations before she knew the truth are close to anti-villain territory.

And yes I fully admit I'm obsessed with the walking dead but to spin off the original posters point, would you guys like a "Shane" on Power Rangers. More of a guy who starts off good then becomes morally questionable ie he who fights monsters becomes one. I mean Alex was close and Jen was when she set her gun to kill that time. Someone on the protagonist/good side but does morally questionable or wrong things in pursuit of a noble goal.
Old 12/02/14, 10:55 AM   #4
Blue KnightWolf
Shadow Ranger

What's that old saying? Nobody sees themselves as Evil? It could work if Saban was crew were willing to make a really deep season again. Time Force technically had both with Eric being an Anti-Hero and Ransik and even Frax being the sort of anti-villains [Ransik because of how normal Humans treated him and Frax for Ransik's betrayal after helping him]

I can't see it happening since Saban made Samurai a clone of MMPR [complete with near 40 year old Paul Shrier/Bulk trying to act like he's still 17 and doing the tired "Hey. There's the token fat guy. Let's dump stuff on him again this week"] And supposedly Megaforce is no better.
Old 12/02/14, 10:56 AM   #5
darkshadowranger
Shadow Ranger

I thought Eric would have been the closest to an Anti-Hero PR has seen. Believed what he was doing was right, and the Ranger's were wrong. Or at least going about things wrong.
Old 12/02/14, 10:57 AM   #6
ZeoRangerVII
Shadow Ranger

ersonally speaking, I'd rather see a deliberately evil Ranger. Not "Oh (s)he' been brainwashed/possessed/whatever the hell we can pull out of our asses to explain this away," but a ranger who's completely unrepentant in their evil. A sociopathic Power Ranger if you will.

The closest thing I can think of to compare what I mean in this scenario to is Terra from the Teen Titans Comics (The Judas Contract). Pose as the good guy, get in good with the rangers, but secretly subverting them the whole way, before blindsiding them when they're at their lowest...

Then again, I suppose it'd basically be Kat from MMPRs3, but without the evil spell guiding his/her actions.

I know it'd NEVER happen, but what a rush it'd be to see...
Old 12/02/14, 10:58 AM   #7
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Gem and Gemma were completely unrepetant about willing to blow up human survivors enslaved at Venjix factories. They also implied it wasn't the first time they went on that kind of bombing run.

Gem and Gemma were comple sociopaths and no one said anything. Murderous and unrepetant bringers of chaos and destruction, completely allowed to run around as Power Rangers without question, save for a few questioning their sanity type looks from the others and Truman now and then.

Also depending how you want to classify him, Jarrod willingly joined with Dai Shi to become more powerful and unleashed his evil on the world. Ultimately he only abandoned Dai Shi because Dai Shi turned on him and his feelings for Camille.

Jarrod wasn't a ranger, but he did retain the ability to armor himself in Dai Shi's Black Lion armor. He was deliberately evil, though.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply