Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers Online Feedback And Requests > Zabitan's Forum

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03/23/15, 07:33 PM   #151
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and first things first for the next few weeks my schedule is going to be weird since not only is this the end of Season One but when I start Season Two there's a lot of multi parter episodes.

And they all come out at weird points in the show that make it hard to fit them into my regular five episodes a week schedule, and get them done in one week.

So my solution is that I will do both parts of Rise of The Red Python, and my overall thoughts on Season One as a whole.

Then I'll take the rest of the week off, and the next week off.

Then when I get back I'll do the first three episodes of Season Two as their own week.

After that I'll have a regular week again to talk about Quest for Power but then the week after that will only have four episodes followed by a special two day week for Kaitlin Through the Looking Glass.

Then another four day week, and finally my schedule will go back to normal for the remainder of Season Two until maybe the final two episodes.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/15, 07:33 PM   #152
Zabitan
Administrator

Anyway today we are looking at Rise of the Red Python written by, and directed and Douglass Sloan.

So we start off with today's "my dad taught me" moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him about making new friends.

We then go to a park where Ryan, and JB are sparing, and afterwards a young boy tells them that there's a cat stuck in a tree so Ryan rescues it, and when he gives to the boy who says it's not his so Ryan, and JB think of where to take the cat.

At Ziktor industries Ziktor asks one of his secretaries if Icebot is done, and she doesn't know so he transforms into Grimlord, and summons Icebot who explains that thanks to technology stolen from Tyler Steele he has created his own VR Trooper called The Red Python but like the Troopers it needs a human host to wear the armor.

Meanwhile Ryan, and JB take the cat to the shelter where they meet a young woman named Amy who works as a veterinarian, and has just moved to town, and is interested in learning martial arts so Ryan, and JB take her to the dojo, and show her some moves.

But unbeknownst to the Troopers a Skug is spying on them, and Ziktor decides that Amy would be the perfect choice for the Red Python.

Amy shows the Troopers, and Jeb around the animal shelter, and a man, his girlfriend, and some bodyguards show up, and ask if the shelter has a python, and when Amy says it doesn't the man, his girlfriend, and the bodyguards turn out to be Skugs.

The Troopers, and the Skugs both do a bunch of backflips, and punches, and kicks while one of the Skugs kidnaps Amy, and when the Troopers destroy the Skugs they try to find Amy, and suspect that Grimlord may be involved.
Old 03/23/15, 07:34 PM   #153
Zabitan
Administrator

At the Virtual Dungeon Amy is trapped in the same force field Keith was in in Fiddler on the Loose, and Grimlord shoots a red laser that gives Amy an evil version of one of the Troopers' visors, and shows her some Spielban footage of The Red Python to brainwash her.

While at the lab the Troopers can't find Amy but the Professor reminds them that some parts of virtual reality are blocked from their scanners.

Back at the Virtual Dungeon Grimlord transforms Any into The Red Python, and has her demonstrate her powers which include teleportation, and shooting lasers from her dagger like weapon by fighting Skugs.

But she overheats and Grimlord wonders what's wrong but Icebot thinks she has to get used to her new powers.

Amy then teleports back to the animal shelter back to her old self but she doesn't remember anything, and the animals all of a sudden don't like her.

Then she runs into Ryan who takes her back to the dojo while Grimlord orders Ivar to transform Amy into Red Python, and during a karate practice Amy starts to feel strange, and she goes to the bathroom, and transforms into Red Python against her will.

Kaitlin shows up, and looks for Amy but can't find her while the Professor tells them to come to the lab, and when they do he tells them another mutant is attacking so they all transform.

Red Python slashes JB, and Kaitlin with her dagger while Air Striker fires on them so Ryan summons the Turbo Cycle to lure Air Striker away but Red Python damages Kaitlin so JB has to use the Fighter Bike to rescue her.

At the lab Ryan, and JB try to repair Kaitlin but she's too damaged while Grimlord congratulates Amy for destroying Kaitlin.

To be continued.

Tune in next time everyone for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.
Old 03/25/15, 01:47 AM   #154
Zabitan
Administrator

Well hello there everybody welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we are looking at Rise of the Red Python part two written by, and directed and Douglass Sloan.

So we start off where we left off with Kaitlin still damaged, and the other Troopers, and the Professor unable to repair her.

Meanwhile Amy is practicing karate in a park while Ziktor watches, and gloats, then transforms into Grimlord, and tells his mutants that he wants to destroy JB next.

Back at the lab the Troopers figure out that Red Python is a VR Trooper like them so the Professor runs a separation program to find out who she is.

Ryan decides to take Kaitlin's damaged part to Poindexter while Red Python invades reality so JB transforms.

Red Python fires a laser from her dagger so JB fires his own laser but it doesn't phase her so Red Python attacks with her dagger while JB fights back with his saber.

Grimlord orders Air Striker to fire on Ryan who escapes but a car appears out of nowhere, and transforms into an army of Skugs.

The Skugs circle Ryan but he kicks, punches, and throws them, and quickly destroys two Skugs, and only has a slightly harder time with the other two but he destroys them as well.

Meanwhile JB tries to fight Red Python but she keeps teleporting but then she overheats so Grimlord orders Icebot to take the fight to virtual reality where JB and Red Python keep fighting but Red Python overheats again so she retreats.

At Poindexter's lab Ryan asks Poindexter for a replacement part, and he has one while at Tao dojo we get a comedy bit where Jeb has a party when Tao isn't looking.
Old 03/25/15, 01:48 AM   #155
Zabitan
Administrator

Back at the lab Ryan gives JB the part, and he repairs Kaitlin who transforms back, and wakes up, and the others explain everything to her while at Tao dojo Amy passes out so Jeb tries to contact the Troopers.

The Troopers decide to go to Tao dojo when the lab's computer reveals Amy is the Red Python while at the Virtual Dungeon Icebot informs Grimlord that Red Python could self destruct if she keeps fighting but he just decides to send her into battle anyway hoping that she will still destroy the Troopers.

Then Amy wakes up, and goes apeshit on the dojo, and leaves just before the Troopers arrive, and get a fax from the Professor explaining everything.

At the Virtual Dungeon Grimlord orders Ivar to send his entire army through the reality barrier so the Professor informs the Troopers, and they transform.

JB tries to reason with Red Python but she still attacks him while Ryan fights Air Fighters, and Quantum Cruisers with the Skybase, and Kaitlin destroys Ivar's ravage tank.

JB still tries to reason with Red Python who still tries to fight him but then she overheats, and transforms back into Amy so the Troopers take her back to the lab while at the Virtual Dungeon Grimlord once again swears vengeance on the Troopers.

At the lab the Troopers undo Grimlord's brainwashing, and remove the Red Python powers, and Amy is glad to be back to normal then at Tao dojo the Troopers dressed in karate gis that match their trooper colors give Amy an orange belt.

Anyway "I miss you dad" the end.
Old 03/25/15, 01:49 AM   #156
Zabitan
Administrator

Final Thoughts.

Today's episode was pretty good.

I liked Amy both as herself since it seemed like she had potential had the show gone with the original idea from Spielban and made her a fourth Trooper.

Like if I could I would somehow make this episode a three parter where it's mostly like what we did get but in part three Amy becomes the fourth Trooper

Though we'll have to wait until Kaitlin Through the Looking Glass before I can fully elaborate on why.

Also her whole plot with being a vet, and having a mother make me wonder if she wasn't originally supposed to be Danielle from Endangered Species at some point before they decided to make her a different character.

Still she seemed like an interesting character, and it would have been interesting to see a Power Rangers esque show where the token "Evil Ranger who becomes a good guy" was a woman.

And as the Red Python since I actually liked how they adapted the Helvira arc from Spielban, and in my opinion almost improved on it.

Especially since in Spielban this was a lengthy storyline that spaned over nine episodes before it was resolved.

And yet the only thing I think they took out that I would have kept in was the part from the Spielban episode Littlest Trooper was based on where she fought along side Icebot's counterpart.

And even then I would have just found a way to just have the parts with Helvira, and save the parts without Helvira for when I killed off Icebot.

Then again I'm also tempted to wish they hadn't used Cobrot in Kaitlin's Front just so they could have made her Red Python's monster form.

I still thought she had a neat design with her red, and black body, silver mouth, and red eyes she almost looks more like an evil version of a Battle Grid Trooper if she was wearing full armor.

I also liked that they also gave her a transformation that seemed like a Battle Grid transformation for when she transformed into Red Python.

I also liked that they kept the idea from The Battle Begins, and Defending Dark Heart that the Troopers Trooper modes are separate robot bodies that merge with their real ones, and if they get damaged they have to be repaired as robots before they can transform back into people.

I think my only real nitpicks are that oddly enough in both parts it feels like the beginnings drag on forever, and because of that the second halves suffer.

Like I felt that they could have hurried more to having Amy get turned into Red Python, and fighting the Troopers.

I also thought that the sub plot with Kaitlin being damaged dragged on a bit.

And the Skug fight, and the stuff with Air Striker, as well as the comedy bit with Jeb from part two all felt like stuff that could have been removed without hurting anything

Other than that it was a terrific story, and a great way to end Season One.

When I come back my overall thoughts on Season One, and then a week off, and when I come back we'll start Season Two.

Tune in next time everyone for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.

Last edited by Zabitan; 05/06/15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05/06/15, 06:23 PM   #157
Zabitan
Administrator

Final thoughts on VR Troopers Season One

I'm trying to think of of where I should start since I was originally just going to do the "what I liked, and what Final thoughts on VR Troopers Season One

I'm trying to think of of where I should start since I was originally just going to do the "what I liked, and what I don't like" thing

But then I realized I could think of something I liked about anything, and something I didn't like about that same thing.

So I realized I should break this up into what I think of particular things the characters, the powers, weapons, and vehicles, the story, the production, etc.

I also noticed, and this is more of a hypothesis then an outright rule it seems like there's three kinds of people when it comes to this show

You have people who think this is the worst show ever without any redeeming qualities whatsoever.mostly because they think it ruins the Metal Hero.shows it was based on.

You have people who like it but mostly because they like how "darker" it is because the main hero is looking for his dad who might be dead, and because the villain is a corporate executive who's evil plans are sometimes more about making money than taking over the world.

And you have people who are almost in the middle in that they like it but they like it "ironically" because of how weird, and silly they find everything.

And for me I find myself somewhere between group 2, and group 3 because and this is something you'll hear me say quite a bit which is that there's a lot of things that I like or at least understand that other people don't but I understand why other people don't

Or it's because I think if anything VR Troopers actually is true to the Metal Hero shows that it was based on, and some things I had problems with were problems I had with the Metal Hero shows or where actually improved.bI don't like" thing

But then I realized I could think of something I liked about anything, and something I didn't like about that same thing.

So I realized I should break this up into what I think of particular things the characters, the powers, weapons, and vehicles, the story, the production, etc.

I also noticed, and this is more of a hypothesis then an outright rule it seems like there's three kinds of people when it comes to this show

You have people who think this is the worst show ever without any redeeming qualities whatsoever.mostly because they think it ruins the Metal Hero.shows it was based on.

You have people who like it but mostly because they like how "darker" it is because the main hero is looking for his dad who might be dead, and because the villain is a corporate executive who's evil plans are sometimes more about making money than taking over the world.

And you have people who are almost in the middle in that they like it but they like it "ironically" because of how weird, and silly they find everything.

And for me I find myself somewhere between group 2, and group 3 because and this is something you'll hear me say quite a bit which is that there's a lot of things that I like or at least understand that other people don't but I understand why other people don't

Or it's because I think if anything VR Troopers actually is true to the Metal Hero shows that it was based on, and some things I had problems with were problems I had with the Metal Hero shows or where actually improved.

Though I want to save discussions about the Metal Hero shows for when I decide to do dedicated reviews on them.

Last edited by Zabitan; 05/06/15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05/19/15, 06:07 PM   #158
Zabitan
Administrator

All right first things first I wanted to get my final thoughts on Season One done first but real life, and general laziness got in the way, and I want to just go straight to Season Two.

Anyway welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we're looking at Mutant Mutiny written by Michael Ryan, and directed by John Grant Weil.

So we start off with today's "My dad taught me" moment where Ryan talks about the time his dad taught him about loyalty, and obedience.

We then go to Tao dojo where the Troopers are practicing karate when Tao comes in explaining that his family is having a family reunion in China but a plane ticket costs a thousand dollars.

The Troopers try to think of a way to help, and in comes a guy named Artie who wants them to advertise his own dojo for a thousand dollars.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor is signing a contract that will give him ownership of another building in Crossworld City when he notices green slime on his desk so he transforms into Grimlord, and asks which of his mutants has invaded reality without his permission.

The Troopers are still confused about if they should take Artie's offer while Toxoid explains that he figured out that the green slime means that Amphibidor a frog like mutant is to blame so two gunbots go to confront Amphibidor who's busy planning to take over virtual reality.

Grimlord confronts Amphibidor who swears he's still loyal so Grimlord has him fight another mutant, and Toxoid chooses Dream Master.

Dream Master tries to use his chain but Amphibidor melts into green slime so Dream Master uses electricity but Amphibidor just reforms, and absorbs it so Grimlord orders Amphibidor to destroy the Troopers.

At the lab Ryan explains the situation to the Professor when a reality break occurs so Ryan calls the other Troopers who are closer but Amphibidor blocks them with his slime.

The Professor explains about Amphibidor, and his plan to take over virtual reality while JB, and Kaitlin decide to take some slime, and analyze it when they see two phone workers who turn out to be Skugs.

First the Skugs, and the Troopers just swing kick each other then JB, and Kaitlin flip some Skugs over, then the Troopers just punch, and kick the Skugs while Kaitlin Kaitlin kicks one into the van, and JB knocks a few into a pole destroying the Skugs.
Old 05/19/15, 06:08 PM   #159
Zabitan
Administrator

Ryan sees Amphibidor, and decides to transform, and they both grab at each other but Ryan keeps flipping Amphibidor over.

So Amphibidibor spits acid foam but Ryan dodges, and slices Amphibidor but some of Amphibidor's foam is in his circuits which at first just makes him angry, and throw Amphibidor again but then his circuits malfunction.

The Professor informs the other Troopers about what's going on so Kaitlin transforms her car into flight mode but Air Striker attacks while Amphibidor's foam makes Ryan walk off a cliff.

The other Troopers find Ryan, and take him to the lab to repair him, and analyze the foam while Grimlord orders Amphibidor to bring Ryan's armor as proof of victory.

At Tao dojo Tao practices karate when Artie shows up with a fruit basket for the Troopers while the Professor has found an antidote to the foam but Amphibidor is back so JB, and Kaitlin transform.

While JB, and Kaitlin go into the Skybase Amphibidor's foam makes Ryan get up, and go to where Amphibidor is but when Amphibidor grabs Ryan it wakes him up from the trance but Amphibidor keeps grabbing him.

Grimlord orders Cannon Nose, and Balistix to destroy Ryan, and Amphibidor but JB, and Kaitlin destroy them instead, and all it does is give Ryan enough time to throw Amphibidor a bunch of times before destroying him with Lighting Hand..

Then there's a funny bit where Ryan says Grimlord's not going to like it when it cuts to Grimlord actually being happy that Amphibidor is destroyed, and that he'll destroy the Troopers anyway.

At Tao dojo the Troopers are about to explain everything to Tao when they see that Tao worked out a compromise where he does Artie's advertising while Artie opens his dojo in another city.

Anyway "I miss you dad the end".
Old 05/19/15, 06:09 PM   #160
Zabitan
Administrator

Final Thoughts

Today's episode was another one of those good but not great ones.

On one hand it feels like how I feel a lot of Season One episodes should have been like.

It has a good message that's executed well, the a plot, and the b plot tie in well without feeling forced, Kaitlin, and JB are allowed to do stuff even if it only uses a Metalder episode, there's cool fight scenes, and nothing is cut from the Metalder episode that I would have left in.

On the other hand it's supposed to be how they start Season Two, and the only thing that shows it is that Kaitlin has different hair now.

The plot is interesting but the Metalder episode they used didn't allow much, in my opinion the upcoming Knighttime arc, and The Great Brain Robbery do a better job with it.

And sadly it exists solely to use up the last bit of Metalder footage aside from the first half of Quest for Power.

Tune in next time for more Magic Happy VR Troopers reviews.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
episode discussion, vr troopers