Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/01/14, 03:34 PM   #1
geekchic96
Putty Patroller

Default Usagi's and Mamoru's nicknames in the redub

don't know if this has already been discussed but I've been wondering lately about how Viz will handle the nicknames Mamoru and Usagi had for one another. I know Viz said this a completely uncut redub but will that hold true for the nicknames?

Considering they aren't names that hold any real prevalence to the plot other than being really cute and adding to the character development will they keep them in? The fact that Chibiusa's name is a nickname as well, and they will keep that in the redub. (granted her name is important to the plot...) do you think it's a no brainer for Usako and Mamo-chan to stay in the dub?

Anyway, Do you think that Viz will leave the nicknames in for the sake of keeping the redub 100% faithful? Or do you think, if Viz decides to keep them intact, that the nicknames will not flow well in an english dub (specifically Mamo-chan) and mess up what they already have? Or do you just not care either way?

I, personally, would love to hear Usagi say "Mamo-chan!" in english and hear Mamoru say "Usako!" as well, it just fits those two perfectly, and whenever I think of them I hear those names...I'd shed a small tear if they aren't kept in the dub...
geekchic96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/14, 04:29 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Usagi's and Mamoru's nicknames in the redub

Personally it's a toss-up in the case of Usako and Mamo-chan especially since in the English language there's no "chan" ending when addressing others like there is in the Japanese language so they can either just ignore it completely or they can go with Usako for Usagi but just come up with something different for Mamoru like for example Mamo.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply