Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/06/14, 09:42 PM   #1
Nexerinfinity
Putty Patroller

Default Could someone explain all the hate for PROO

I'm serious, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I see all the hate for Overdrive and hear about how Jungle Fury was an improvement, but I just don't see it. It's nowhere near my favorite, but despite some half baked characters, OO had a pretty darn good supporting cast, it had a continuous storyline, even some occasional clever writing and sympathetic characters. On the other hand the only redeeming quality i can think of for Jungle Fury is RJ, whom despite my dislike of the season is one of my favorite characters in any season. (that last sentence seems grammatically incorrect to me, but I can't place it sorry.)
Nexerinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/14, 09:45 PM   #2
chrollo
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Thread: Could someone explain all the hate for PROO

Maybe people just don't like the acting in OO. I believe OO was a lot the casts first big role, where as Casey and RJ from JF had already acquired some experience in much bigger roles( A prime time soap for Casey, and RJ studied acting in college, and was regular guest star in What I like about you). You can write gold, but if the acting and directing isn't at that level it is still going to turn out bad.

In OO's defense the idea of having the red ranger actually being an android is an awesome idea imo. I think that idea for a character makes Operation Overdrive's red ranger one of the most human(no pun intended.... ok thats a lie but still true), and relatable in all of power rangers and sentai history. Of course they took far too long to bring it up, but what ever. I also can totally see how Operation Overdrive could be seen as the writing staff trying to figure out a darker take on power rangers that ultimately led to RPM.

Seems like maybe a lot of older fans were hoping that operation over drive would end up being a lot better than it ever could have been since it was the 15th season of the show, and especially since the season before was far from the best as well.
chrollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 12:30 PM   #3
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: Could someone explain all the hate for PROO

I think people didnt like the characters and found them unlikeable and selfish. Most people were let down by the team up.

I personally didnt mind the season and thought it was ok. I think the finalie could have been a lot better. Also see why Once A Ranger had its critics. I still enjoyed it though. I liked OO's serial nature. The Mack as a robit stuff was interesting and original. As were the twist and turns it caused with his relationship to Hartford.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/15, 02:02 PM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexerinfinity View Post
I'm serious, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I see all the hate for Overdrive and hear about how Jungle Fury was an improvement, but I just don't see it. It's nowhere near my favorite, but despite some half baked characters, OO had a pretty darn good supporting cast, it had a continuous storyline, even some occasional clever writing and sympathetic characters. On the other hand the only redeeming quality i can think of for Jungle Fury is RJ, whom despite my dislike of the season is one of my favorite characters in any season. (that last sentence seems grammatically incorrect to me, but I can't place it sorry.)
I think the one reason is because they just didn't like some of the characters Will and Dax especially and on top of that they were ready to quit too easily once their powers were stripped from them by Thrax.

Most people seem to hate Will in general not just for his character but also for the inhuman that played him.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/15, 05:41 PM   #5
Starlight Starbrite
Power Ranger

OO just had very unlikeable characters. The villains were not very memorable anyway. The storys were not engaging. The finalie was rushed and unstatiafying. The Mack as a robot stuff had potential but they blew it in the end by making him human.
Starlight Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/15, 12:34 PM   #6
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight Starbrite View Post
OO just had very unlikeable characters. The villains were not very memorable anyway. The storys were not engaging. The finalie was rushed and unstatiafying. The Mack as a robot stuff had potential but they blew it in the end by making him human.
that too in regards to the villains. Almost every season we've had cool villains. Rita, Goldar, Zedd, Master Vile, King Mondo, Gasket, Havoc, Dark Specter, Astronema, Scorpius, Trakeena, Deviot, Diabolico, Bansheera, Olympius, Ransik, Frax, Master Org, Mandilok, Vexacus, Mesogog, Zeltrax, Broodwing, The Master, Imperious, The Ten Terrors, Dai-Shi, The Overlords, Venjix, Serrator, Deker and Vrak but Overdrive just doesn't have any decent villains.
Old 02/20/15, 04:23 PM   #7
Phantom Stranger
Ranger In Training

It was silly how easily Flurious was defeated when he had the crown. Why did they spend all season trying to obtain a power source that wasn't that great?
Phantom Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/15, 12:47 PM   #8
Dino Charger
Ranger In Training

People just love to hate. I never understood why people read so much into a kids show. I love every season. I see nothing wrong with OO at all. I just watch Power Rangers and enjoy it.
Dino Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/15, 10:01 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It was silly how easily Flurious was defeated when he had the crown. Why did they spend all season trying to obtain a power source that wasn't that great?
that it was but perhaps Flurious just didn't know how to use the crown's powers properly although he wasn't the only one that had a lame defeat during the history of the series.

Bansheera = wasn't even destroyed. She was knocked down into the Shadow World and Carter sealed the tomb.

Ransik = wasn't even defeated. He just surrendered.
Old 02/22/15, 01:20 PM   #10
PRangerX
Administrator

I wouldn't call Bansheera's defeat lame. She got done in by her own army of demons. And got her just desserts for her lack of loyalty to her own troops. I'm pretty sure they killed her, given how visious the shadow world monsters were.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply