Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/20/14, 09:54 PM   #11
Disney Ranger
Power Ranger

Default Re: Did saban do the right thing bringing back power rangers ?

I was disapointed when Disney sold. They did such a good job with the franchise. I always hoped they would be the ones to bring it back. Disney is such a big company, I never thought they would sell.
Disney Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 08:08 AM   #12
MattEmily
Administrator

I really didn't expect Disney to sell Power Rangers but I also didn't see them bringing them back once they ended it. They ended it for a reason and while I'm sure Shinkenger played a part in the reason it wasn't the only reason behind it.

Saban would have been the only way we would have gotten a new season otherwise we would still be stuck with no new seasons.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/14, 11:32 AM   #13
PRangerX
Administrator

Yeah it was a big surprise. MR Aftershock told me their was some negociations months prior. But last i heard talked broke down. Than months later the deal was announced. It was a very nice surprise.

I think the franchise would have still come back in some form if Disney didn't sell. It probably would have been a lot longer. But the franchise is better off with Saban Brands. Instead of being a subsidary of a huge corporation, they are now the central franchise of one company. As much as they have been critized creatively, they are invested in the franchise. They have opened a lot of doors to showcase the franchise in ways Disney never tried. It was unbelievable that Disney never gave us boxed sets or took advantage of online streaming. After a few years they even stopped airing the reruns. Saban has done all this plug got them on a strong cable network that is comparable to Disney's channels.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 08:46 PM   #14
Destiny Defeated
Power Ranger

I would have rather have seen Disney transfer it over to Marvel Studios. I think they would have brought the show back to ita glory days. They also had the means of producing a new PR movie.
Destiny Defeated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 09:34 PM   #15
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX View Post
Yeah it was a big surprise. MR Aftershock told me their was some negociations months prior. But last i heard talked broke down. Than months later the deal was announced. It was a very nice surprise.

I think the franchise would have still come back in some form if Disney didn't sell. It probably would have been a lot longer. But the franchise is better off with Saban Brands. Instead of being a subsidary of a huge corporation, they are now the central franchise of one company. As much as they have been critized creatively, they are invested in the franchise. They have opened a lot of doors to showcase the franchise in ways Disney never tried. It was unbelievable that Disney never gave us boxed sets or took advantage of online streaming. After a few years they even stopped airing the reruns. Saban has done all this plug got them on a strong cable network that is comparable to Disney's channels.
thing is in order for such a thing to have happened Disney's rights on Power Rangers would have needed to lapse to the point of the rights going back to Toei. Basically exactly what happened with shows like Digimon and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight just to name a few examples.

I agree that it was unbelievable that Disney never took advantage of DVDs or streaming options but I guess they thought Power Rangers wasn't worth their time to even bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny Defeated View Post
I would have rather have seen Disney transfer it over to Marvel Studios. I think they would have brought the show back to ita glory days. They also had the means of producing a new PR movie.
Marvel would have been good but Disney wanted nothing to do with it and it would have been under their ownership again once they bought Marvel on top of which it would still need to be something that Marvel would want to handle and they are pretty much only a comic book division. Not to mention I'm not sure how Marvel would even feel about needing to divide the sales between themselves and Toei.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 09:57 PM   #16
Astronema
Power Ranger

PR under Marvel Studios is a cool idea. But I don't think it would have happened. Disney would have moved it over instead of selling in it. At the end of the day the Saban sale was good.

The only other company I would have liked to buy PR would have been Lucasfilm. Which funny enough got bought out by Disney just a few years ago.
Astronema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 10:24 PM   #17
PRangerX
Administrator

Well Disney already owned Marvel Studios before they sold PR. So it just would have been a matter of moving it under Marvel's control instead of Buena Vesta's. Marvel Studios was already around Pre-Disney. So they were already more than a comic book company. Disney bought Marvel for Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 10:26 PM   #18
Destiny Defeated
Power Ranger

Thats what I was thinking. Marvel Studios would have been a better fit. Even if Disney still owned Marvel.
Destiny Defeated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/14, 10:36 AM   #19
Decepticon
Ranger In Training

I would have liked to haven seen Toei buy it out as an expansion of the american division. As long as they put the right people in charge of the product and marketing. That would eliminate the need to share revenue and decision making with someone else.
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/14, 01:03 PM   #20
KimandTommy
Power Ranger

I was disapointed in the end. Since I thought we would go back to the glory days of MMPR. Instead we got more of the same.
KimandTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply